Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Few gripes about my carrier

Go down 
+4
playwme
mudmojo
motokid
honeybadger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
honeybadger

Few gripes about my carrier Empty
PostSubject: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:51 am

I searched this forum when I was researching getting an AMC-400 to haul my WR cross country, so I just wanted to leave some observations for anyone else who comes along researching carriers.

First of all it's $129 and it is worth that much, especially or you're going to use it very rarely as I do.

Here are my gripes:
The ramp is way too short if you have a high hitch. (I drive a Wrangler with a bumper 6 inches higher than stock). The ramp is about at a 45 degree angle when attached.
The tie down points are in the center which means you'll have straps rubbing your plastic.
The wheels drop down pretty far into the wells once the bike is all the way on, making it pretty tough to unload a 300lb bike, since both tires simultaneously have to rise up a few inches to roll out.

This last point is one I could use some feedback on if anyone else owns one. Because of the height of my car and the weight of the WR I found it really tough to get the bike started off the ramp. The technique I eventually figured out was to leave the handle bar straps on, but loose to keep the bike up. Hold the bike up with one hand and with the other grab and roll the front tire until the tires get out of the wells. Then undo the hooks and roll the bike down the ramp. I would recommend getting a longer ramp, but once you do that you could have probably bought a nicer carrier with a longer ramp.

Here are some other things I'm thinking about doing to make hauling the WR easier.

1. Get an SMC-600R instead (not much more than an AMC-400 + 82inch ramp, and 4 tie downs in better locations)
2. Hit the gym and stop being such a wuss.
3. Carry my Wrangler on the back of the WR instead. (It can do it, I removed the flapper).

Anyway if anyone else has experience with this carrier, or any carrier really, hauling the WR, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Last edited by honeybadger on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 am

honeybadger wrote:

3. Carry my Wrangler on the back of the WR instead. (It can do it, I removed the flapper).

bow poser2 poser2 bow

worthless

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mudmojo

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 am

How about ...

4. Ignore it. Honeybadger don't give a sh1t bow

Back to top Go down
playwme

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 am

What if you modified it so you could put the ramp in front of the bike when unloading and then simply drive it out of the wells using the motor?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Can you shorten the length of the gap(s) in the carrier so the wheels don't drop in as much? Maybe bolt a piece of steel in there. I'd start with just the rear wheel gap since the front wheel is bigger and should pop up if you can get it started.
Back to top Go down
old_crow

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 pm

I have the same/similar one carrier and I imagine it's a huge pain on a tall truck. Mine goes into a hidden hitch on the back of a caravan so the bike is 3-4" off the ground tops.... my issues are related to scraping. With the bike on the carrier and the straps completely off, I stand at the front tire and push both handlebars like a dead lift to get it started. As soon as it's out of the main grooves I slam on the front brake to keep control. You have to be quick on the brake doing it this way! Then with the brake depressed I move over to the side of the bike and guide it down feathering the brake as I go. You can use the motor to get the bike up the ramp easier but it's unnecessary for me of course.

Regarding rubbing the plastic, A couple of microfiber cloths could do the trick. My plastic is getting worn anyway so it's too late for me.

Looking at the carrier in the rear view makes me nervous for the first few miles but it has worked out so far!
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

I have this carrier as a backup to my trailer. Whenever I load the bike, I back my suv up my driveway apron so the rear wheels are at the bottom and the hauler is on the flat. When I arrive at the riding area, I try to find a low spot for the rear wheels.
Back to top Go down
TierHawg

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I have a Versa-Haul bike carrier, and know none of the problems you speak of. Of course the Versa-Haul rack costs alot more, and its on the back end of an F250 truck, so YMMV. When I was shopping for a bike hauler, I looked at the rack you mention, but decided to spend extra money. Buy once, cry once.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Few gripes about my carrier   Few gripes about my carrier Empty

Back to top Go down

Few gripes about my carrier
Page 1 of 1