Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cjaten

New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires Empty
PostSubject: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 am

I just got a 2012 WR250R and I am super excited. I haven't experienced a rush like riding it since my first good sized surf wave. This is my first motorcyle, but I have quite a bit experience on two wheels since I've been racing road bicycles on the U.S. circuit the last few years. It reminds me of a big sized mountain bike. But I haven't been able to figure out my settings on the suspension yet. I've had it for three days and have taken it out in the cinders of Northern Arizona a couple of times. I enjoyed it, but I've been feeling more loss of traction that I'd prefer. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it also felt pretty rough on the rough rocky and bumpy trails that I took it on today. I weigh about 140lbs, so I have been wondering if I should mess with my suspension settings. Do the bikes come stock for a heavier person? I'm guessing they are set up for at least a 160lbs person. You guys have any advice (I have read some of the posts on suspension)? I've also begun to wonder if I should invest in some more dirt freindly tires compared the to the stock 50/50 tires. I quickly found out I favor the cinders and some of the rough forest service roads compared to the paved roads. I will continue to check out the site for some more suggestions. Anyway, I look forward to learning and riding and am glad there is a resource like this site!

Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 am

Welcome to the forum!

the stock tires work pretty well on the road. for off road they are *ok* if you aren't pushing it too much. they will handle your average off road, but suck for sand, mud, and gnarly terrain. So if you are planning to use your bike 80-90% off road, definitely invest in some proper knobbies. will make a big difference.

as far as suspension goes, you have the option to adjust a number of things (have a look at the suspension subforum here). again they will do fine if you aren't pushing very hard. but if you want to get the real deal, it seems many members on here have had their suspension redone by professional shops and they all claim amazing improvement. so take a good look here https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/f25-suspension and try it out if you find some settings that work for you. if you are still not happy, invest in having the suspensions redone.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 am

In my opinion, if this is your first motorcycle and you're literally learing how to ride it as we type, I wouldn't yet bother with sending the forks and shock out for a revalve.
If you are doing lots of trail riding, then real knobby tires are worth the money, and there are some that have a DOT approval.

I weigh 150 pounds and I felt the stock springs were OK for my weight.
What I do think is very important you do is to "set the sag", which means adjusting the shock spring preload to achieve a 3.5 inch use of suspension travel while you sit on the seat in the normal riding position.
This will put the bike in the proper and the as-intended stance while you ride it.
If you don't do this, you may be fighting a back-end-too-low or a back-end-too-high feeling that will make the bike harder to ride.

Depending on how tall you are, you may want to use the rear shock's ride height adjustment to lower the bike a bit, and if you do that, lower the front by loosening the triple clamp pinch bolts and sliding the fork tubes up a bit to compensate for the lowered rear.

If you are really new to dirt motorcycles, a couple of tips:

1) Learn how to service the air filter and do this very often, as in after any off-road ride longer than 2 minutes.
Period.
You will be surprised at how many riders neglect this, and the recommended service interval shown in the Owner's Manual is actually for a WR-250R that stays on the street.

2) Change the engine oil before 3,000 miles comes up, especially when doing off-road riding.
This is another Owner's Manual recommendation that's intended for a street bike.
Myself, I'd do it before 1,000 miles comes up.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 am

Welcome to the site!
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

YZEtc wrote:
In my opinion, if this is your first motorcycle and you're literally learing how to ride it as we type, I wouldn't yet bother with sending the forks and shock out for a revalve.
If you are doing lots of trail riding, then real knobby tires are worth the money, and there are some that have a DOT approval.

I weigh 150 pounds and I felt the stock springs were OK for my weight.
What I do think is very important you do is to "set the sag", which means adjusting the shock spring preload to achieve a 3.5 inch use of suspension travel while you sit on the seat in the normal riding position.
This will put the bike in the proper and the as-intended stance while you ride it.
If you don't do this, you may be fighting a back-end-too-low or a back-end-too-high feeling that will make the bike harder to ride.

Depending on how tall you are, you may want to use the rear shock's ride height adjustment to lower the bike a bit, and if you do that, lower the front by loosening the triple clamp pinch bolts and sliding the fork tubes up a bit to compensate for the lowered rear.

If you are really new to dirt motorcycles, a couple of tips:

1) Learn how to service the air filter and do this very often, as in after any off-road ride longer than 2 minutes.
Period.
You will be surprised at how many riders neglect this, and the recommended service interval shown in the Owner's Manual is actually for a WR-250R that stays on the street.

2) Change the engine oil before 3,000 miles comes up, especially when doing off-road riding.
This is another Owner's Manual recommendation that's intended for a street bike.
Myself, I'd do it before 1,000 miles comes up.

thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:34 pm

It also helps to let some air out of the tires for offroad. Since the WRR doesn't have rim locks, I would say 15 psi minimum. With rim locks and proper knobbies or trials tires, 6 to 11 psi will really make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Cjaten

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 am

Thank you guys for the help!

When talking about setting the sag for the preload, I'm guessing I can buy a tool for that. I read in the owner's manual and it said that the Yamaha dealership should adjust it, but I bet you guys all do it yourselves. I saw that a screw driver might work for it as well. I definitely don't sag 3.5 inches. That will be my first adjustment. I've also lowered my tire psi to 15 for the trails, but will look into some other tires and rim locks. Other than that, I'm just enjoying riding and honing my trail skills. I took it out in the rain for the first time today just to get my fill for the day.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:29 am

The typical motorcycle Owner's Manual for a dual-purpose bike like the WR-250R is proofread by a team of company lawyers who fear you might skin your knuckles while making a spring preload adjustment.

Most people use a long drift or other suitablly long and thin piece of metal along with a hammer, tap on the notches on the threaded lock nuts on top of the shock spring, and make the adjustment with the shock still in place on the bike.
There are two lock nuts on top of the spring.

Loosen the top lock nut and back if off a turn and make the spring adjustment with the lower lock nut.
When satisfied with that, tighten the top lock nut back down onto the lower lock nut.

I like to have the rear wheel off the ground to make it easier to turn the lock nuts, and I'll also clean and oil the threads beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Cjaten

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm

I successfully set the sag to a bit over 3.5 inches (which should help with the cinders up here) and have cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. I'm having a blast figuring out the bike. The tires slip out pretty easy when I'm hitting it though, that will be my next change! Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires   New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires Empty

Back to top Go down

New WR250R and Question for Suspension/Tires
Page 1 of 1