Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...

Go down 
+2
dc4stroke
Recon_Buck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... Empty
PostSubject: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Okay, I'm ready to pull the trigger and get some Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires. I currently have soft, non-DOT tires, but I'm doing more dual sport thanh dirt now a'days... Figure 75% dirt and 25% street on my WR250R.

I'm looking at these D606s:
90/90 21" on the front
130/90 18" on the rear

Does anyone have an opinion??? Are these good tires, and the right sizes??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Buck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 pm

My experience with the D606 has been good as a mostly off-road tire. Wear is good for a dual sport tire. They are very loud on pavement compared to say a 50/50 tire and I would not run them on mine as I spend too much time on-road. If I rode 75/25 dirt/street, they would be my pick. I am not sure on size choice.
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: Thanks!   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

ddvorak, I appreciate the quick reply. My buddies can't say enough good things about the Dunlaps as a dual sport tire.

But now you have me curious. What are your tires? And when you say loud.... I have very soft sand knobbies (non-DOT) on the bike now that give me a squishy-soft ride on the hard ball. Loud is okay, as long as they grip ion turns! Thoughts????
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Great tire...much quiter than say knobbies, much better than stockers offroad. Just pull the trigger. Our opinions mean nothing. Your experience means everything. It's just tires. I have a pile in the corner. I like them all for various reasons. But I run the 606's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 5:59 pm

dc4stroke has a good point. Everyones opinion is just that. We all know too that doing the dual sport thing is all about trade offs. Obviously, compared to running soft knobbies, you will like the D606 way better on-road and you will no doubt notice quite a difference when riding off-road. They are just tires as he also pointed out.

As for me, I wore out my OEM Bridgestone and replaced it with another one. It works very well for the on-road riding that I do and I stop and deflate them whenever I am leaving the pavement. (That coincidentally is the same time that I always wish I had D606's...)
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Yeah......add "Dual" to any description and you are all about trade-offs.
The old balancing act if you were.

Which is why I own several bikes.

My 88 year old dad just scratches his head and ask why?
I just shake my head and walk away.

He ask why do you want to ride in the woods, where are you going? You're going to get all muddy again.
Same response.............

His only hobby......EVER!.........mowing the grass.
I'm so glad I didn't grow up in the Great Depression.
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: You had me at "Great Tire"   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Okay gang, I just pulled the trigger and purchased the front and rear D606s from the Motorcycle Superstore. I'll keep you posted.

The plan is to use the Dunlops on mostly dirt, and street ride only to get me to the good dirt around Virginia. I'll be in the New York Dual Sport Rally (I'll trailer the bike up there), so those tires should be perfect since I hear the ground is mostly rocks, gravel, and hard pack. This way, I'll save my soft knobbies for next year's Sandblast Rally.

Thanks for your "opinions"! wings No fooling, I do appreciate hearing about other riders experiences!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Good wear on those 606's. thumb I would buy them again, but I'm testing out different tires this time. The Mitas are still on the bike, and I'll wear the back one out as much as i can safely...lol...then decide on what to go with next.

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: Oops!!!!!!!!!   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Okay, I just discovered a huge mistake!!!!

I ordered the wrong size tires!!!!

The front rim is a 21 x 1.60 so I need to keep the width to 80 and the rear is a 18 x 2.15 so I need to keep that width to 120...

So I need to send back both tires I ordered, and look again.

Just curious though, several folks have told me that the D606 90/90 will fit on the front rim. Is this true????? dunno
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Front: 90/90x21
Rear: 120/90x18

These tires have been great on and off road.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm

forgot to mention, they will be a bit louder on some types of pavement .. most of the time though i dont notice it .. one time i was on some pavement that made them howl, then a truck or car came beside me which echoed the sound .. pretty surprising how loud it got
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: It's Decision Time!   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Okay, now I finally understand how my wife can shop for shoes alllllll day long!

I'm down to the Mitas 90/90 21 C-17 for the Front and the Mitas 110/100 18 C-16 on the rear. Cost is $147 for both (shipping included). wings

Or..... dddog

The Dunlop D606 90/90 21 for the Front and the Dunlop D606 120/90 18 for the Rear. Cost is $140 for both (shipping included). cheers

Hmmmmm, baldy any last thoughts from those with more experience than me??? bert

Thanks, Buck
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: Update   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

There was free shipping on the Mitas tires. So I just purchased the pair on-line for $127. I'll post how I like them after I ride them a bit...
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Did not like the Mitas for DS'ing at all. The D606 are a much better choice for that IMO. Sorry I did not see that post earlier.
Rocky Mountain ATV has the rear D606 on sale IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 7:44 pm

What size Dunlop D606 tires are your running????
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm

90/90-21 and 120/90-18
Back to top Go down
nap

nap

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

Im running 120/90 18 and 90/90 21 f These D606's are great! traction on the road is good and in the dirt great! I would rather have the best traction in the dirt and mud. I ride about 70% street 30% dirt
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:36 am

I'll say this: the Mitas Stoneaters kick ass traction-wise over the 606 by a LONG shot. The only thing the 606 beats the Mitas on are wear. I ran the Mitas (still actually have them on) thru everything the 606's were put thru and they are a great DS tire. Pavement friendly, and kickass in the dirt. The front 606 I didn't like in loose gravel; they liked to wander. The Mitas however stuck in everything and tracked excellent. Can't say the 606 is a better DS tire, not at all. I've gone thru a whack of stuff with BOTH tires. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...   Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires... Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about new Dunlop D606 Dual Sport tires...
Page 1 of 1