Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairieparson

Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 2:52 pm

I just began trying to put on the Acerbus handguards, and already have a question. The bar end holder is very nice, but I can't get it into the grip due to a plastic end on the bar. There is a hole in it but its too small. What do I do?? Cut a hole or remove the plastic. Any experts out there??
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Prairieparson wrote:
I just began trying to put on the Acerbus handguards, and already have a question. The bar end holder is very nice, but I can't get it into the grip due to a plastic end on the bar. There is a hole in it but its too small. What do I do?? Cut a hole or remove the plastic. Any experts out there??

Remove the plastic cap, or drill it out. I had to do that on my last set of ProTaper bars.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 am

Agreed. Drilling/cutting it out is the cheapest/quickest way to do it. Works well enough thumb
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Also, I put the clamp to the handlebar as far as I could toward the grips. The used the long bolt that goes into the bar end to bend the the hand guard in to the end of the bar. This actually caused the bend on the hand guard push outward and kept my clutch and brake levers from hitting the hand guard.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 am

bsheet2 wrote:
Also, I put the clamp to the handlebar as far as I could toward the grips. The used the long bolt that goes into the bar end to bend the the hand guard in to the end of the bar. This actually caused the bend on the hand guard push outward and kept my clutch and brake levers from hitting the hand guard.

Pictures?

Did you have to trim your levers at all? I put some Acerbis guards on my last bike and had to cut the ends off both levers to get them to clear the guards. I'm looking for a set of guards for the WR and am not sure which brand to get right now.
Back to top Go down
GBX

GBX

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 am

dmmcd wrote:
bsheet2 wrote:

Pictures?

Did you have to trim your levers at all? I put some Acerbis guards on my last bike and had to cut the ends off both levers to get them to clear the guards. I'm looking for a set of guards for the WR and am not sure which brand to get right now.

I'm stuck in the same predicament! Not sure which brand will fit directly onto the stock bars without any issues scratch
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 am

The acerbis rally pros fit right on. you only need to drill/cut out the end of the grips.

the stock levers fit as well.

The only issue for me was that the brake leaver was touching the handguard, short-circuiting and leaving the brake light on. All I did was adjust the lever 1 mm back and all is fine thumb
Back to top Go down
GBX

GBX

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 am

bigg wrote:
The acerbis rally pros fit right on. you only need to drill/cut out the end of the grips.

the stock levers fit as well.

The only issue for me was that the brake leaver was touching the handguard, short-circuiting and leaving the brake light on. All I did was adjust the lever 1 mm back and all is fine thumb

On the UK models there is these small dints where the handlebar controls have a little lump that fit into the handle bars at the right place in the indentations made, I wanted to angle my clutch down further but once u move it from the place the small lock bumps are, u can move it freely where it is not secured properly :hmmm:

I need a handguard that is made to fit around all the stock controls of the wr250r otherwise i will have loose handle bar controls if i need to move anything even 1mm.

Pics:

Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! Imag0411

Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! Imag0410
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 10:40 am

GBX wrote:

On the UK models there is these small dints where the handlebar controls have a little lump that fit into the handle bars at the right place in the indentations made, I wanted to angle my clutch down further but once u move it from the place the small lock bumps are, u can move it freely where it is not secured properly :hmmm:

I need a handguard that is made to fit around all the stock controls of the wr250r otherwise i will have loose handle bar controls if i need to move anything even 1mm.

Use a knife to remove the 'little lump' on the controls. Then you can put them wherever you want, and adjust to your liking.
Back to top Go down
GBX

GBX

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 am

dmmcd wrote:
GBX wrote:

Use a knife to remove the 'little lump' on the controls. Then you can put them wherever you want, and adjust to your liking.

With the type of paint / coating on the stock handle bars if you move the controls away from them dints they move with some force no matter how tight you tighten them back up, there is just no grip!

I guess i could use some kind of insert to get a decent amount of grip if i needed to move them, but it just seems alot of hassle for adding some handguards, with my previous bikes handguards i fitted, some websites had kits made to fit around the stock controls of that specific bike, for example touratech... but they only list universal fittings for generic dual sports for the WRR, instead of a specific fitting for the bike which is a bummer budah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!   Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Acerbis handguard install help!!!!!
Page 1 of 1