Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

HDB handguard install problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
whizzerwheel

HDB handguard install problem Empty
PostSubject: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 8:37 pm

At the risk of showing how dumb I am, I'm having a problem installing my new HDB guards. The insert and the tap for the handle bar is way to small for the inside of my 7/8" bars. I double checked that I have 7/8 bars....stock on the wr...checked that the head plate that HDB sent, fit the bars....checked the directions 15 times and it says tap the inside of the bars and install the inserts. It ain't happening. Anybody got any ideas? It's a 5/8" tap....way too small for the 7/8" bars inner diameter.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 am

I will start off by saying I really don't know what hand guards you are talking about etc.

But my guess is it is for thick walled 7/8 bars where the internal diameter is much smaller than the thin walled standard bars......?? :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Agree with above, aftermarket bars like rentals have a much smaller inside diameter than the stock steel bars. The kit you have is for ally bars not steel ones.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 pm

The tap makes the way for the insert.

Are you saying that you can't tap the bar ?
Back to top Go down
whizzerwheel

PostSubject: Solution   HDB handguard install problem EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 am

Guys, thanks for the help...I have been talking to Paul at HDB and indeed he is a super guy. Going above and beyond trying to help solve a problem with a dumb customer. In my defense, I did not see the reference to inner diameter of the bars, and Paul says that page on the website was out of order.

Anyways, he's fixing me up with a set of protaper bars at a very good price...I just need to figure out the bend. I really don't have a problem with the stock bars....does anyone have experience with a protaper bend similiar to stock? I'll try to take some measurements but someone's experience may be more helpful.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 pm

The dimension of the stock bars are purportedly W 30.7" H 3.8" Pull Back. 2.6".

Here is a bar bend chart from Rocky Mountain on which you can look up the ProTaper Contour bars that Paul sells: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/handlebarinfo.do

Here is a cut and paste of some info I recently sent with someone, No need to retype and plagerism doesn't count when I copy from myself, right?! Ha. Some of this may not apply, but I'll throw it out there for others to consider.

-------------

The first thing you'll want to do is determine what "pullback" you want. Many will tell you to first detemine what height, but really, height can be tuned with the lower clamps (risers) so pullback is the first thing to determine. For whatever reason, my wrists are most comfortable with the least amount of pullback so the bars are flatter and my wrists are bent outward less. I went with the YZ High bend because it had the least pullback for the Evos bars. Of the Contours, the "mini" bars are good choices, too, if you don't want a lot of pullback and a bar as narrow as stock.

Determine what pullback is right for you. Sit on the bike with hands on bars and concentrate on the outward bend of your wrist. Is that perfect? Now twist your wrist so it's angled outward more than stock bars. Bend so wrists are angled outward less than stock bars. What feels best? Also, close your eyes and hold your hands out in front of you like they are on bars. Now open them and note the bend of your wrists. Is that the same, more or less than the stock bars? Look at aftermarket bars accordingly. If you like the stock bars, go with something with similar pullback (see dimension below) or pick something based on what felt more comfortable.

Now you can determine how much rise you want in the bar. Stock bar dimensions are supposedly W 30.7" H 3.8" Pull Back. 2.6"

Most folks want more rise than stock, but it depends on your torso length and how much you stand up. I put on custom HDB lower clamps to net me about 1.5" rise. Anything over that and cables start to get tight. Once you pick a bar by pullback, look at it's height and compare to the stock height of 3.8". Some will be taller and some will be shorter than stock. Then pick one of the lower clamps to net you the overall rise that you want.

The stock lower clamps give you 1 3/8" of rise.You can pick one of the lower clamps that Paul carries or pick the Custom option and tell him what height you want (lower clamp height is measured from base to what will be the center of the bar so that tells you how high the bar will be).
Back to top Go down
whizzerwheel

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Thank you chadx for the good advice and helpful assistance.

It would be great if I lived near a place that had all those bars on display, so I could really compare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HDB handguard install problem   HDB handguard install problem Empty

Back to top Go down

HDB handguard install problem
Page 1 of 1