Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

POWER LOSS

Go down 
+2
motokid
pfy50
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

GAHHHH Hey,

Out for a equipment check ride and seem to have loss top end. I have the usual mods AIS,Flapper, Open airbox, FMF Power bomb and Q4 muffler, and FMF programmer set @ 3.3.(1.5).8.4.4. The engine check light came on for about 5 minutes and I seem to have no W.O.T. I have it geared @ 13/43 Stock and can barely get up to 70-71mph and 8500rpm max I've had it gear up to 13/47 and have had it up to mid 80's previously. I'm suspecting a problem with the FMF fuel programmer (only 2 months old). scratch
Anyone have any Ideas or similar problem that was corrected?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 pm

It's been noted numerous times in multiple threads here that the FmF programmer has a glitch in the 5th number.

Take it to 6, or higher and see if that fixes your problem.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 am

motokid wrote:
It's been noted numerous times in multiple threads here that the FmF programmer has a glitch in the 5th number.

Take it to 6, or higher and see if that fixes your problem.

TNX motokid;

I'll try that. I've asked this before and did not get an answer; do you know if these EFI programmers will reset themselves if you temporarily disconnect them from electrical current?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 am

I do not know, but it should be relatively easy to check.

At least I know it'd be easy to check on my Attitude Industries programmer which is almost exactly like the FmF unit.

There should be a mode selection that allows you to cycle through each setting to see what number has been selected.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm

motokid wrote:
I do not know, but it should be relatively easy to check.

At least I know it'd be easy to check on my Attitude Industries programmer which is almost exactly like the FmF unit.

There should be a mode selection that allows you to cycle through each setting to see what number has been selected.

Hey motokid;

Just got back from running 2 test runs on the WRR. First test was I upped the 5th place digit from 4 to 6 as you suggested. No difference what so ever from my limited 15 mile loop which included curves, hills and straights. Only when I got going down a long steep hill could I even briefly see 84mph and 10,000rpm. On the flats I had trouble maintaining 69-71mph @ around 78-8100rpm. I even looked at the filter as suggested over on the ADVrider forum; (it was fairly clean) so I removed it for 2nd run, and was able to get it to rev a little freer, but not much more W.O.T. response. Tomorrow I will have to remove the programmer and try another run to see what effect it has. Do you have any other suggestions to try, I don't want to have the bike down for any length of time as this is a primo time of the year for me for riding.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 pm

If you recently had the fuel tank off, check for a kinked/pinched fuel line.

Check to see if something is blocking the airbox air inlet.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm

YZEtc wrote:
If you recently had the fuel tank off, check for a kinked/pinched fuel line.

Check to see if something is blocking the airbox air inlet.

Both already done; seems to run with a little hesitation while in acceleration, then topsout @ low 68-71mph and no juice @ W.O.T.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

So strange.

Can you hit rev limiter in lower gears?

2,3, and 4th gears?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 am

motokid wrote:
So strange.

Can you hit rev limiter in lower gears?

2,3, and 4th gears?

Motokid,

I think I can, I put it in 4th and got it up to 10,500rpm which should be near the rev limit. Just doesn't want to go in top gear. I could test it in all lower gears if you think it would help. But it will have to wait until after the rain storm (East Tennessee); possiblly late this afternoon (EST zone).

Paul
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am

How do you know what rev you're in? Are you running in CO mode all the time?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

motokid wrote:
How do you know what rev you're in? Are you running in CO mode all the time?

No I'm running the TTO RPM/Hr meter gauge. It is only reading every other crankshaft rotation...so I have to just mentally double the reading to get the correct RPM.

ps. I'm beginning to suspect that part of the problem may just be an over tall gearing problem and my wind resistance (240lb) except for that engine check light coming on for 5 minutes during the original ride (previously mentioned), and that nothing seems to happen for the last 1/2 inch of throttle twist up to WOT. I may switch back to 13/47 gearing and try it before pulling out the programmer. I assume that your EFI programmers don't have the acceleration (5th digit) parameter problem.
http://www.trailtech.net/tto.html
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Well I just got back from testing run with the return to 13/47 gearing and I am able to get few more top end mph. I also did the hill again 6-7% grade 1/4-1/3rd mile and was able to hit 83mph and break 10,100rpm in 6th gear. I guess (except for that engine warning light which has not returned or given an error code) the main problem with the 13/43 gear is drag baldy . I am loading up for a little fall foliage trip up to W. Virginia so I'll see how the extra baggage slows things down.
TNX for help motokid and let me know about those EFI programmers. PAUL
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm

No. The Attitude Industries efi tuner does not have issues with the fifth number setting.

I'd be surprised is gearing is your issue. I guess it's possible, but I struggle to understand it appearing like that.

I've never hit rev limiter in 6th gear with 13/48 gearing. I top out around 85mph with that gearing. (I have a corrected speedo for the gearing I'm running)

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 pm

motokid wrote:
No. The Attitude Industries efi tuner does not have issues with the fifth number setting.

I'd be surprised is gearing is your issue. I guess it's possible, but I struggle to understand it appearing like that.

I've never hit rev limiter in 6th gear with 13/48 gearing. I top out around 85mph with that gearing. (I have a corrected speedo for the gearing I'm running)

Hey motokid,

Everybody's bike is slightly different. Where is the rev limit set on the WRR's? That 85mph in 6th is that on a flat straight or down hill. I can only get up to that speed; 83mph in 6th; on a downhill with my slightly taller gearing 13/47. I used my GPS to check my speed. I have a lot stuff mounted on it. Enduro bags, larger tank, tool bags, Wolfman panniers, fandango tank bag. Plus my 5'11" 240lb frame make a lot of drag. I remember when I first took it out to speed test it and I could only get up to 78mph on the speedometer(later corrected to 71mph with gps). I now have 3000 miles on it since April when I bought it and it should be broken in and it's still @71-72mph with the OEM gearing in 6th on a flat run, so I'm guessing it is drag and a slow bike.
Back to top Go down
skierd

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 am

How long have you had the FMF programmer added in relation to the loss of power? Did you change anything immediately before the power loss? You mentioned being loaded up with luggage... its amazing how much drag panniers (as well as any other luggage that sticks out in to the wind stream) adds and therefore how much power it robs.

You should try dropping the WOT fuel number (3rd setting) to 0.5 instead of 1.5 imo, the bike runs rich enough at WOT. Or, just disconnect the programmer and go for a ride. If your power comes back, its the programmer, if not its something else. You'll be fine without the programmer, I ran without one with the same mods for nearly 10k miles.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 am

pfy50 wrote:
I have it geared @ 13/43 Stock and can barely get up to 70-71mph and 8500rpm max

I'm not so much questioning the 6th gear top speed as I am the part I quoted above.

70 mph with stock gearing, regardless of size (unless you weigh over 400 pounds - which you don't) should be easily attainable in 5th gear, let alone 6th gear.

With stock gearing, most adults males can pull 90 to 95 mph. I assume most of those people don't weigh 110 pounds.

Something is not right if you can't get past 70 mph in stock trim.

The next time I ride my X I'll check to see where I hit rev limiter in 5th gear. I'm pretty sure it's around 70 mph

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am

skierd wrote:
How long have you had the FMF programmer added in relation to the loss of power? Did you change anything immediately before the power loss? You mentioned being loaded up with luggage... its amazing how much drag panniers (as well as any other luggage that sticks out in to the wind stream) adds and therefore how much power it robs.

You should try dropping the WOT fuel number (3rd setting) to 0.5 instead of 1.5 imo, the bike runs rich enough at WOT. Or, just disconnect the programmer and go for a ride. If your power comes back, its the programmer, if not its something else. You'll be fine without the programmer, I ran without one with the same mods for nearly 10k miles.

Hi skierd,

How's Fairbanks, they have the large forest fires again up there this past summer? I have run it @.5 on red/3rd digit I did not see any difference, same as the suggested (by motokid) upping the 5th to 6 from 4 because of a known problem @ acceleration but again no difference. The only thing I did was switch back to the OEM gearing 13/43 from 13/47 I had been on. I did not have the acceleration I thought I should have, but I would have let it go; I've now switched back to 13/47 gear; except at the same time I had the previously mentioned engine check light come on for 5 min., but no error codes were shown. It is doing a little better back @ the shorter gear and; Lord willing; I'm going out for a 2 day Fall foliage ride in a few minutes and I will see if it is good enough while 3/4 full load. If I'm still not satisfied it is just a slow bike and my drag I'll pull the FMF prog. when I get back and see if there is any difference.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:10 am

motokid wrote:
pfy50 wrote:
I have it geared @ 13/43 Stock and can barely get up to 70-71mph and 8500rpm max

I'm not so much questioning the 6th gear top speed as I am the part I quoted above.

70 mph with stock gearing, regardless of size (unless you weigh over 400 pounds - which you don't) should be easily attainable in 5th gear, let alone 6th gear.

With stock gearing, most adults males can pull 90 to 95 mph. I assume most of those people don't weigh 110 pounds.

Something is not right if you can't get past 70 mph in stock trim.

The next time I ride my X I'll check to see where I hit rev limiter in 5th gear. I'm pretty sure it's around 70 mph

Hi motokid,

Yes I agree hearing what everyone else is getting on there bikes, but like I said above I was only getting about 71-72 mph when brand new in 6th gear which was the only gear I checked it in before it was broke in back in April. This was before I knew that 5th & 6th gears were over drive and quite tall and before I had ever seen my first WRR/X Forum posts about all the things guys were doing and getting out of the "Little Jewel" and after doing all the normal mods and adding the FMF pipe system and EFI prog. it's still not much faster than when I first bought it and prebreakin condition. Well I'm off on a two day ride baring any problems and I will do some more testing to see what I can get and I'll up date on return. If noting else I'll get to see more on a slower bike poser2 !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 am

click me <-- check here.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 am

motokid wrote:
click me <-- check here.....

Well here's what I decided. The programmer has some bugs, and some goodthings. I am currently back on OEM fuel map with the Co1 mod set @ +2. I will go test it today if I can get around the rain. The FMF programmer would just cut out every so often for about a second or so. It felt like it just stopped sending fuel(not like hitting the rev limiter) to the engine then sputter a little then go back to normal flow. This occurs every so often maybe once every 100-200miles no real timing pattern. I did do some rev limiter testing and found(@11,400-500) that it would get to 41mph in 2nd gear, 67mph in 4th, also it could not get above 87 mph in 5th @ 10,600rpm. Flat out in 6th I got to 83mph so I do believe it is drag+ tall gear/overdrive holding me back from anything higher. It was also hard to find a program that kept me happy at all rpm ranges. So maybe after I work on my KTM I will return to finding a fuel programmer that works better for the WRR. I also found that even with the seat concepts cover on I can not endure trips longer than 60 -100 miles. There's just not enough pelvic support at the rear of the seat where I sit to keep my butt from getting numb GAHHHH so no long trips like I had hoped for the WRR are out cry until I can maybe get a full custom seat in the future. Or it will be a trailer queen with shorter loop trips. dddog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am

How could drag be an issue if you can get to 87 mph in 5th, but slower in 6th?

I think drag is an issue on these bikes with anybody above 90 mph anyway though.

87mph in 5th gear MUST be with stock gearing right? No way your doing that with 13/47.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 4:14 pm

motokid wrote:
How could drag be an issue if you can get to 87 mph in 5th, but slower in 6th?

87mph in 5th gear MUST be with stock gearing right? No way your doing that with 13/47.

Nope 13/47, but I only got that once with a long run with a down hill grade to get started.
Drag always effects top speed just less if you have the proper gearing to overcome it better. (As in direct drive = or > 1.0 to 1.0 ratio as opposed to overdrive with<1 to 1.0; currently 0.888 for 5th and 0.786 for 6th gear). You only feel the drag at the higher speeds with the wind in your face and chest, but it is there at ALL speeds. It is a law of aerodynamics. I'm sure the bike would get in the 88mph area if it were on a dynamometer with no wind resistance(Drag) in 5th; theoretical top speed is 98.7mph for 13/47 at rev limit 11,500, but not likely to ever see it in overdrive.
See http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 4:57 pm

I don't care what gearing commander says.

I know real world what I've seen with 13/48 gearing.

There's not a snowballs chance in hell I could see anything above 80mph in 5th gear.

I will find out this weekend where 5th gear hits rev limiter.

But I'm gonna say your speedo was way off, or your gps or whatever you were using was off, or you misread it to see 87 mph in 5th gear with 13/47.

Something is surely off or the grade of the hill you were going down was quite steep and very long.

When I do "top speed runs" I do them on flat ground with no help from cars or trucks or drafting or anything.

Since the gearing is so short in the last two gears I see no way hitting rev limiter in 5th, then shifting to 6th would result in a loss of speed regardless of your size and weight. I can see not gaining much in speed, but I can't see losing it regardless of gearing.

Which comes back to your power loss title.

Something surely can't be right.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:48 am

motokid wrote:
I don't care what gearing commander says.

I know real world what I've seen with 13/48 gearing.

I will find out this weekend where 5th gear hits rev limiter.

When I do "top speed runs" I do them on flat ground with no help from cars or trucks or drafting or anything.

Since the gearing is so short in the last two gears I see no way hitting rev limiter in 5th, then shifting to 6th would result in a loss of speed regardless of your size and weight. I can see not gaining much in speed, but I can't see losing it regardless of gearing.

Something surely can't be right.

Hey motokid,

My set up is this: a Zumo 550 GPS backed up with a speed corrected 12 O'Clocklabs speedoDRD OEM speedometer, and a Trailtech TTO Tachometer. A feature of the Zumo 550 is a recording of MAX speed attained and avg. speed. As I stated I did start out on the (1) run on a 3-4% grade which only got me up to speed faster because these things take up some distance and D'are ain't Suspect no straight roads in eastern Tenn. or southern Kentucky for that matter. I took the reading on the flats(about 1/3mile) and the Zumo showed a recorded 86.6mph backed up by an observed 89 on the speedometer which is offset by 2mph higher than true speed. That was in 5th gear, 13/47 gearing and worn out Deathwing TW302 rear tire @ about 1430hrs local 10.11.12. Gear commander says theoretical speed should be 87.1, but I could only get to about 11,200rpm max. As for 6th gear I can max. out @ 83 mph and 10,500rpm weight and drag kept me from going anywhere near theoretical max of 98.1mph. These are not scientifically quantitative or qualitative runs as I only have the one run in 5th @ that speed and a few in 6th at 82-83mph. Remember theoretical speeds are what are obtainable in a bike could go onto max rpm in that given gearing ratio which is not possible in the real world because of friction,drag,gravity(weight).

Paul
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 3:01 pm

2008 wr250x
speedo corrector - 12 o'clocklabs unit
13/48 gearing
Attitude Industries EFI programmer
AIS removed
Airbox door removed
FmF Q4 exhaust slip-on
Stock header
Distanzias that are well worn

I weigh 155 pounds - 5'7" tall

5th gear top speed at rev limiter today

76 mph

I did this on three separate occasions today with different road conditions, and not really tucking in for minimum drag.

All I can say is - I don't believe you.
No way you got over 85 mph in 5th gear with 13/47 gearing.

One of us has serious problems.
I was able to shift into 6th gear and keep climbing in speed past 76 mph before I had to back off.

I've know I've never seen anything north of 85mph in 6th, with the above setup, and a mile-long run in 6th gear with no letting off.

Which pretty much coincides with what many other people say who have similar gearing.

Stock gearing should get you well into the mid to upper 90 mph range.

Going up 5 or 6 teeth in rear is going to drop that top speed by 10 mph.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

POWER LOSS Empty
PostSubject: Re: POWER LOSS   POWER LOSS Empty

Back to top Go down

POWER LOSS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next