Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gas mileage loss after power commander?

Go down 
+3
ramz
motokid
BrokenParts
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BrokenParts

Gas mileage loss after power commander? Empty
PostSubject: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 am

I put the power commander III on my 08 wrr this past winter, not my gas tank went from little over 100 miles before light came on to about 60 miles... does this sound right?

I should also mention i did the AIS removal and flapper mod. Also I put the 12oclocklabs speedo corrector device. I know the correct speed indicated plays a large roll, but to loose 40-50 miles per tank? I also noticed that the bike does not go above 75ish mph, im guessing the speedo corrector fixed to insanely high mph is was off?

Any intell would be appreciated as im a bit, ok, alot confused on this. any similar experiences? I used the maps provided on hte cd for hte power commander.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 12:06 pm

When you add a programmer you are mostly adding fuel to the air/fuel mixture to prevent lean conditions.

So yeah - you'll use more fuel.

Then you open up the breathing and more fuel is required.

Perhaps you need to check your map and compare it to others who get better mileage.

If you corrected your speedometer you have altered your odometer at the same time.

As a side note - most people here seem to get between 50 and 65 mpg.

How many tanks of gas have you run through since you installed programmer and speedo-healer?

What gearing are you running?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 12:33 pm

2 tanks of gas through it so far, stock gearing as the bike has little over 1000 miles on it.

I understand the adding fuel and air, im a bit of a gear head, however I was shocked at how drastic it was. The maps I used were the included ones with the power commander which are also the same ones on dyno jet's website.

Last edited by BrokenParts on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added second portion)
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Check out this page:
WR250R tuning <-- linky

Scroll down to the first table, which shows corrections generated by the AutoTune module. Many of the values are negative, indicating a reduction in fuel. But note - this reduction is to the PCV map, which is itself a set of corrections to the fuel injection pulses as calculated by the Yamaha WRR ECU. So the final correction will be plus or minus, depending on which PC map is being used. What I'm saying is, fuel is not always added.

If you were able to generate the perfect PC map, the AT corrections would all be zero.

Skip to the next table - it show MPG using the FMF, PCV and AT. The lower values seem reasonable and I accept them in trade for better performance.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm

BrokenParts wrote:
2 tanks of gas through it so far, stock gearing as the bike has little over 1000 miles on it.

I understand the adding fuel and air, im a bit of a gear head, however I was shocked at how drastic it was. The maps I used were the included ones with the power commander which are also the same ones on dyno jet's website.

With stock gearing your speedo should only have been off by 7% so the odometer shouldn't be off that much. Not THAT much I should say.

You really need to confer with others that have the PC3 about what maps they're using.

You must be really rich.

Did you pick a map that's designed for your specific modifications?

Do you have stock exhaust?

One thing you could try is to remove the PC3 and see if your mileage jumps back up to previous levels.
Then you'd know it's your map and/or programmer.

I'm very consistently getting around 55 mpg with 13/48 gearing, programmer, no airbox door, and a Q4 pipe.

Hard to believe a PC3 on a closer to stock bike would make the gas mileage change that drastically.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I did all those mods, full exhaust, plus a FMF EFI power programmer. Last season I was getting around 140-150kms before the light and now I am getting 100-110kms before the light. This is doing a 20km round trip commut and riding it hard in the bush every chance I get.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I have a full FMF setup, more opened up airbox, and PCV, and saw a similar drop in mileage. After messing with a few different maps I am now getting around 48 mpg (light comes on in the mid 70s). Before it was coming on at 60 miles and getting only about 42 mpg. From what I have read, high 40s/low 50s mpg seems typical for modded bikes. And if you are a more aggressive and/or heavier rider (with a big wind resistance) it stands to reason that you will need to tax the 250 more than a less aggressive, lighter, smaller surface area rider. I remember being quite dissappointed since my DRZ was getting about 60mph and had a 4 gallon tank, so I was filling up about 1/3 as much as with the WR. Dual-sports are all about trade-offs.....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 4:22 pm

With stock gearing and a corrected speedo he should be able to hit 90mph pretty easily and possibly 95mph.

With a 13/48 combo and a corrected speedo I can hit 80mph without struggle and I've seen 84-85mph on longer stretches of road.

With little mods he should be able to easily get 50-60 mpg and still be flogging the little bike pretty good.

The only thing he's really done is the flapper and AIS. And the AIS shouldn't make a difference in mpg's or a requirement for richer air/fuel mixture.

The flapper mod is so marginal I think a quick test in removing the PC3 to see what happens to mpg's would be safe, easy, and telling.
(I assume a stock exhaust pipe and the EXUP is still on bike)

OP needs to post exactly what map he's downloaded to the PC3.

Losing 25 to 30 mpg on a basically stock bike just doesn't seem right.
Losing 20-ish mph top speed should not happen either.

Jeez...with that kind of shiity performance I'd almost expect to see raw gas collecting on end of tail pipe.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I have the PCIII with HMF Comp series exhaust, AIS removed, flapper removed, 13/48 gearing, and 12oclock labs speedo healer. I ride the bike hard and average 55mpg. Dynojet's website did not have a map for an HMF exhaust so I downloaded map #432-004 which is for Leo Vince exhaust. I would check which map you downloaded and if that's not it, check how you setup the speedo healer. If anything, I'm running a little rich with my map, but I could run WOT and my light would not come on at 60 miles.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Also with stock gearing, you should be able to see 75mph easily even with the speedo healer. Like motokid said, with my 13/48 gearing and speedo healer, I see 75mph all the time.
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 pm

stock exhaust

Im going to try unplugging the power commander and see what happens. The map is specified for the bike and the mods done to it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:31 pm

BrokenParts wrote:
stock exhaust

Im going to try unplugging the power commander and see what happens. The map is specified for the bike and the mods done to it.

With the only "mods" you've done being the flapper and the AIS removal I fail to see how the map could be THAT much different.

Technically you don't need a programmer at all.

Why it would be adding so much more fuel to the mix is really odd.

If that's indeed your issue, I'd experiment with some different maps.

Perhaps a map for a 100% stock bike????

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 am

first map was the "zero map" then one with stock air filter and stock exhaust, then tried the stock air filter stock exhaust airbox lid removed, all similar effects. so just to make certain I unplugged it and waiting for the miles to pile up to know 100% for sure. Then Ill plug it back in and play with more maps if I can find them. So far on teh cd that was included and their websites they were the same so slim pickens unless you know where to get different maps? I dont want to start messing wihth making my own, not knowledgeable enough to do so.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 7:58 am

Wierdest thing to me is the loss of 15-20mph top speed.

That's just mind boggling.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:34 pm

ok so this is odd, i unplugged my power commander and didnt notice much loss in performance, but whats got me is that my speedo is way high now... The speedo correcter isnt hooked up to the power commander, odd
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:34 pm

and yes, I checked it with my gps just to be certain
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Something is wrong then. Obviously.

Would explain why you're seeing something so strange with top speed, and why your mpg went to shit.

What kind of speedo corrector are you using?
Who installed it?
Can you remove it completely?

If you have stock gearing you're mph is off about 7%. Nothing too extreme.

Do some mpg testing and top speed testing without the speedo corrector. With and without the PC3.
Especially if you have a gps.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:20 pm

ok so im pretty sure im a meatball. I managed to turn mph into kph at the gas pump today. After monkeying around i got it back to accuraet with the gps, was about 5mph off with the speedo corrector unplugged so I plugged it back in and cleared it and ran the calculator to get the ratio. Set it up and run perfect now. Its a 12 O'clock labs correction unit.

HOWEVER, the dynojet power commander was still off, I know i did it today because the speedo was dead nuts with the gps on the last tank of gas with the power commander on it. So standby on updates with it unplugged. So far seems to have pretty good get-up and go with out it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Meh...we all have our brain-farts every now and again. No worries. Better to figure it out earlier rather than later.

Looking forward to hearing what you find.

If you're PC3 is making things super rich, I'd imagine your performance might be better without the programmer at all.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 pm

40 miles today, speedo was dead on with the gps, barely got it to 80 mph. So ive looked around the internet and found that the ones who reach 100 mph ish do not say that it was on the gps but rather indicated, so if my bike did roughly the same before the pc3 and speedo healer, Im assuming that it is because of the error from the factory in the speedo making it say 100ish and that in reality it is round 80 mph, as indicated by my gps and a few others that said their top speed roughly the same gps. So this in fact could be that issue? Ride it around more tomorrow hopefully polish off the tank and see, could be the extra miles from the incorrect speedo, but still 41 mpg instead of 65-70 mpg after speedo healer is just crazy.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 am

BrokenParts wrote:
40 miles today, speedo was dead on with the gps, barely got it to 80 mph. So ive looked around the internet and found that the ones who reach 100 mph ish do not say that it was on the gps but rather indicated, so if my bike did roughly the same before the pc3 and speedo healer, Im assuming that it is because of the error from the factory in the speedo making it say 100ish and that in reality it is round 80 mph, as indicated by my gps and a few others that said their top speed roughly the same gps. So this in fact could be that issue? Ride it around more tomorrow hopefully polish off the tank and see, could be the extra miles from the incorrect speedo, but still 41 mpg instead of 65-70 mpg after speedo healer is just crazy.

Yamaha speedo should only be off by 7% to 8% tops. So 100mph indicated would be 92-93mph on a gps.

That's assuming stock gearing. Are you sure you have stock gearing?

I've got 13/48, which will drastically lower my top speed from a stock geared bike and I've personally hit 84 mph.
People on stock R's, with knobbies, have gone faster than 80mph with little trouble, and get 70+mpg doing it.

Did you buy bike brand new from a Yamaha dealer? Are you original owner?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

I bought 08 wrr last fall from a dealer with 6 miles on it, has 1100 somethin on it now, never touched the gears or replaced anything.
Back to top Go down
BrokenParts

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Sorry for the delay but it's been a bit cold. Anyways, burned through a tank of gas, PC unhooked, same thing, roughly 60 ish miles and the gas light came on. Must be the speedo healer giving real numbers unless Im missing something?
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 am

Do you know what the ethanol content in your fuel is? Combination of 15+% ethanol and cold weather may be enough. I get about 70-75 miles of city riding before my fuel light kicks on. Sometimes less if I'm really dog'n it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:27 am

BrokenParts wrote:
Also I put the 12oclocklabs speedo corrector device.

I bought 08 wrr last fall from a dealer with 6 miles on it, has 1100 somethin on it now, never touched the gears or replaced anything.

So you have stock gearing and stock (I assume tires) on your bike, but you also added the 12o'clocklabs speedoDrD?

How much correction did you program into the device?

Not that I can see how you'd throw your odometer off that far, but just wondering how accurate your odometer is now.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas mileage loss after power commander?   Gas mileage loss after power commander? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas mileage loss after power commander?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next