Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Compression test showing 20 PSI?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarasti

Compression test showing 20 PSI? Empty
PostSubject: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I was about to buy my first bike yesterday - a WR250X - and, while in the shop that thoroughly checked the bike before the purchase, discovered that the compression test showed 20 PSI.
They told me there might be a leak and that the valves might have to be tuned, but that it might also mean the engine needs rebuilding...

Either way, that all seemed weird, since the bike ran really well (great acceleration, easily hit top speed, everything seems to be working well).
I looked around on the net and it doesn't appear like it would be possible to even start the engine with 20 PSI.

Is this a possibility or did they screw up the test? I have very little technical knowledge and relied on them completely for the test and I'm wondering if they failed me or if there might really be an issue with the engine!

Back to top Go down
Adaycj

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but here goes ... A compression test on a single cylinder 4 stroke motorcycle is worse than useless. Most engines in this class use a compression release, and are supposed to have low compression at cranking speeds. Even worse, gages vary and testing methods vary, so without other cylinders to compare (the only value of the test) the test is more than worthless. Plus the things a compression test could find are either obvious, or better found with other methods.

Have the shop do a proper leakdown test with any compression release disabled for better info. I wouldn't use the mechanic that administered the test for motorcycle work anymore. Your test ride told you more than the compression test by far.

Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Whoever did that compression test is ignorant. Timing would be completely, and I mean completely off,causing the exhaust and/or intake valves to be open for compression to even hit 20psi, and it certainly wouldn't run.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:59 am

Going back to the methods bit, did they test it with the throttle open or closed? I'm sure the service manual states the correct method and acceptable readings.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Anyone with a brain woulda thought "strong running engine... 20psi... that don't match up!". I certainly wouldn't let them work on anything of mine.
Back to top Go down
Adaycj

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Section 3-9 of the service manual. ... Wide open throttle ... Valves adjusted ... Full Battery ... 105 to 135 psi. But gages vary wildly, and it is best administered as a comparative test, or as a go/no-go test. IMHO.

Yamaha provides no data that I can find on the crankshaft RPM that the compression release allows full compression. I hunted the service manual. The compression release is clearly shown in the engine section of the service manual.

I suspect that given a high enough cranking speed, you can get a "real" 100+ psi cranking reading on this engine. Full throttle and full battery should do it, but if I got a low reading on an otherwise good running engine, I'd investigate the test conditions long before I'd worry about the engine. Hell, on this engine I'd only use a compression test to look for engine mechanical problems related to a no-start or severe smoking or performance problem. Even then I bet I could do mich better with a leakdown or a fiberoptic camera. To use a compression test for a "wear evaluation" on a good running machine is just useless. it leads to so much misdiagnosis it is shocking.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compression test showing 20 PSI?   Compression test showing 20 PSI? Empty

Back to top Go down

Compression test showing 20 PSI?
Page 1 of 1