Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Problem with front Wheel; need some help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pfy50

pfy50

Problem with front Wheel; need some help Empty
PostSubject: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Having a front end problem on my WRR. I switched out my OEM deathwing 301 for a Kenda 270 . I am now getting a pogo/bounce action when I get in the 30-40mph range. It seems to be a little more pronounced while slowing down thru that range than speeding up thru it. I have trued the wheel, rechecked for even bead seat, tried different air pressures(Hard surface so far only). I have increased rebound which helped a small amount, but the problem still exists. Has anyone had this problem or can suggest an area to check. My next step was to re-torque the steering head, but I would rather not play with that mess unless I can be sure I will get some positive results as I have a submounted Scotts dampener that would have to come off also.

Last edited by pfy50 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Sounds like it's out of balance.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

motokid wrote:
Sounds like it's out of balance.

Hello again motokid,

No, I had the dealer computer spin balance it after I mounted it. I also checked the balance when it was on the truing stand. Beside if it was out of balance wouldn't the pogo action increase as speed increased. This just showing up in that 30-40mph range for the most part.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Ahhh...you kinda left that small detail out of your original post.

Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Spin the wheel/tire and look for "out of roundness".

I'm guessing you got a bad tire.

I've never bought Kenda tires.....was there any kind of warranty with it?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 pm

motokid wrote:
Spin the wheel/tire and look for "out of roundness".

I'm guessing you got a bad tire.

I've never bought Kenda tires.....was there any kind of warranty with it?

Can't remember where I bought it. Motorcycle superstore; Revzilla; or Rocky Mountain MC. but it was 4-5months ago. I had originally wanted to change out my worn Trailwing last summer but decided to wait a little longer till it got more mileage (about 5800) before changing out in Dec. well I'll just use it up around here trail riding and next summer I'll change it out for my trip up north with my other set of wheels (Warp 9) I have my offroad non DOT tires on.

ps. Is there anyway to check for out of roundness before mounting the bad tire?
pss. I just located the sale history. I bought it at Rocky Mountain MC so I might be able to return it but I would have to unmount it, package it, and pay shipping for a $46.00 tire. So I think I'll just grin and bear it. Its replacement has already arrived ( Shinko E700 front and 705 rear)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Tie a string tightly between the forks and just over the tire. Spin tire and see if the gap between the string changes dramatically.

As for checking "roundness" before mounting? scratch dunno

I don't think so.

And "out-of-roundness" might not be your problem. I'm just guessing here.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Im surprised you didnt notice whether or not it was out of round while balancing it.
The kenda 270s I had on my KLR were a tiny it out of round, they stopped shaking once they wore a touch.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

motokid wrote:
Tie a string tightly between the forks and just over the tire. Spin tire and see if the gap between the string changes dramatically.

As for checking "roundness" before mounting? scratch dunno

I don't think so.

And "out-of-roundness" might not be your problem. I'm just guessing here.

TNX motokid I'll try that.

Biglake wrote:
I'm surprised you didnt notice whether or not it was out of round while balancing it.
The kenda 270s I had on my KLR were a tiny it out of round, they stopped shaking once they wore a touch.

I don't know why. Maybe because the spin balancer operates on weight only and out of round is a physical deformation which may/may not be in the area of where the balancer told us to put the counterweight. I'll have to check when I try the string check idea from motokid.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 am

I had a Qlink XF200 that did the same thing, and the front wheel was out of round. It would balance fine, but a combination of the rim being out of round and the tire made it hop.

I raised the front off the ground and put a wood block under the wheel so it was very close to, but not touching, the rim. Slowly spin the front wheel and observe the gap between the block and the wheel. I had to tighten some spokes to get it back in round, but I would tighten a few, spin it again. Tighten a few more, spin it again. It took a while, but eventually I got the wheel round and the annoying hop went away.

I guess what I am saying is make sure it is not just your tire, and verify that the rim is also true and round.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 pm

D'oh... baldy

Forgot about spokes. Check those. Shog

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm

dmmcd wrote:
I had a Qlink XF200 that did the same thing, and the front wheel was out of round. It would balance fine, but a combination of the rim being out of round and the tire made it hop.

I raised the front off the ground and put a wood block under the wheel so it was very close to, but not touching, the rim. Slowly spin the front wheel and observe the gap between the block and the wheel. I had to tighten some spokes to get it back in round, but I would tighten a few, spin it again. Tighten a few more, spin it again. It took a while, but eventually I got the wheel round and the annoying hop went away.

I guess what I am saying is make sure it is not just your tire, and verify that the rim is also true and round.

It's out in 2 spots one is out about 1/16th inch. The second spot is about 3/32nds out. The wheel was trued for linear alignment so if I redo the spokes for radial alignment it will possibly pull it out linearly. I will still give it a try after I let the new Kenda break in a little first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with front Wheel; need some help   Problem with front Wheel; need some help Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem with front Wheel; need some help
Page 1 of 1