Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.

Go down 
+4
theMISSIONARY
Fuzzy Wrench
thelandman
snwbrdrcr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
snwbrdrcr

snwbrdrcr

Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. Empty
PostSubject: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 pm

It’s time to finally increase the fuel capacity of my 2010 WR250R. So, what has been everyone’s experience with the IMS 4.7 gallon tank? Pros and cons?

Or, is a more viable option to run the 3.1 tank with Rotopax backups?

I use the bike to commute approximately 70 miles a week, but on the weekends I like to do more long distance adventure riding (I've been limited by the current tank size).

Thanks in advance! Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Love mine. Easy install, looks pretty good too. Love having to fill up just twice a month now. Commuter here as well. Drawbacks? Slightly increased frontal area resulted in mpg lowering from 70 to 68 when I first put it on. Maybe a little top heavy for guys that go offroad or do the stunting stuff. Highly recommend one. Low fuel light comes on around 180 miles and usually top it off between 250 and 275 miles.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 am

i've got the 4.7 and i like it for its capacity (in the mountains, next town is 60-70 miles), it doesn't leak (even after a couple crashes) and it looks good (i've got the natural one)...definitely feels heavier when full, handles differently... when fuel gets low, secondary pump system can be tricky...my problems include one wing going dry first (pump lost prime) and then the delivery hose wasn't aiming right at the pump (had to adjust)...also around here, the tank isn't legal on the road...i'll leave it at that...
Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. Dsc06915
Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. Dsc06911
Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. Dsc04911
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 4:10 am

as above however mine rubs on the Flatlands racing radiator guard and it does not bolt up that well(holes dont line up)

Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. IMAG0008-1

Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. IMAG0011
Back to top Go down
swimmer

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

Fuzzy Wrench wrote:
i've got the 4.7 and i like it for its capacity (in the mountains, next town is 60-70 miles), it doesn't leak (even after a couple crashes) and it looks good (i've got the natural one)...definitely feels heavier when full, handles differently... when fuel gets low, secondary pump system can be tricky...my problems include one wing going dry first (pump lost prime) and then the delivery hose wasn't aiming right at the pump (had to adjust)...]

Not to highjack but does all the fuel always go through the secondary pump even when the tank is full? Is the stock pump still used? I guess I am just trying to understand if the pumps are set up in some sort of series arrangement or parallel or what. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

the main stock pump always pumps to the bike...the auxiliary pump also runs all the time but when the tank is full, the stock pumps just pumps as it is submerged...when the level drops below the pump, the auxiliary pumps fuel into a "cup" at the bottom of the stock pump via a hose tie-raped to the pump to keep it going...the aux pump is the one that runs off the engine pulse...
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Love mine! My first tank was the first run and it leaked gas at the wing bottoms. IMS sent me a new tank and all is good!

I like to fill the tank and then go ride and not be thinking about where the next gas location is going to be.

And there are some rides with few gas stops.

Works for me! thumb
Back to top Go down
swimmer

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 am

Fuzzy Wrench wrote:
the main stock pump always pumps to the bike...the auxiliary pump also runs all the time but when the tank is full, the stock pumps just pumps as it is submerged...when the level drops below the pump, the auxiliary pumps fuel into a "cup" at the bottom of the stock pump via a hose tie-raped to the pump to keep it going...the aux pump is the one that runs off the engine pulse...

Thanks
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm

I just installed the IMS 3.0 and placed the anti slosh foam in it. Works great and something you might consider.

Bob

Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm

+1 on the IMS 3.0 tank.

I get about 115 miles before reserve if I'm zipping around town. 130 if I'm freeway riding. I'd do better, but my mods have affected mileage. I plan on a 2 gallon Rotopax and a Wolfman side rack. That way, I have extra fuel when I need it and a narrow tank when I don't. I was also leery of adding another pump that might fail. If I lived in Nevada I may have sprung for the 4.7, but none of my local rides are that extreme.

Either way you'll be happier than stock; that 2 gallon peanut sucks.
Back to top Go down
snwbrdrcr

snwbrdrcr

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks everyone for their responses. I'm leaning towards the 3 gallon with Rotopax backups, mainly because I ride in allot of rocky terrain (basalt and volcanic) here in eastern Washington. The thought of destroying a 4.7 gallon tank in a rock pile isn't very appetizing. eeek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.   Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users. Empty

Back to top Go down

Interested in the opinions of IMS 4.7 tank users.
Page 1 of 1