Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Safari tank opinions

Go down 
+8
BPG
28marcb
WRoldman
lukachuki
thumper_tx
matttys
jyam
Machtig
12 posters

Should I go with the black Safari Tank or translucent Safari Tank
Keep the bike all black
Safari tank opinions Empty67%Safari tank opinions Empty
 67% [ 18 ]
Go translucent, it will look awesome
Safari tank opinions Empty33%Safari tank opinions Empty
 33% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Machtig

Safari tank opinions Empty
PostSubject: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:07 am

This is my bike

Safari tank opinions WR061

Safari tank opinions Slades018

Safari tank opinions Attukustag

I plan to order a Safari tank very soon, but am not sure which color I want. The two choices I am considering are black and the translucent white. I'm leaning towards the translucent white, but want to hear your opinions, as nothing is set in stone.

Brian

Last edited by Machtig on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm

sweet ride...black is beautiful,those scout bags are great. have them too but not useing the frame and the left corner get clipped if they hang too low...ahwell
nice pics keep us posted
john
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Go transluscent . . . it won't look good, but it will be far, far more useful. That way the low fuel light won't scare the crap out of you.
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 am

Had mine translucent on for a few days now. I love being able to see the gas.
Glad it is not totally clear. Held exactly 3.65 gallons from bone dry.

Ron in Tx
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 am

Couple of comments. Your black bike looks great. Did you buy or paint your plastics?

I'd say go with black tank even though translucent is a little more functional. You got a great looking bike which is unique....why comprimise that.

Now i don't know about aqualine, but every oversized tank that I have bought for my xr659r's has been just barely translucent enough to see the fuel....not nearly as easy as the clear but not too much of a bother.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Plastics are OEM from Wheeling Cycle Supply. The headlight and plastic that surrounds it is Japanese spec, so its a little lighter and smaller.

I think either color would look pretty good, and of course the votes are pretty evenly split. Decisions, decisions. If I went translucent and hated it, I could probably sell it a lot easier than a black tank. Then I could buy the black tank. scratch

Has anyone weighed the Safari against the stock tank and shrouds. Is there any weight savings? I know once filled up the weight savings would likely vanish.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Safari Tank ordered.   Safari tank opinions EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 2:00 am

thumper_tx wrote:
I did not weigh my old tank and shrouds but it was easy to tell the Safari tank is heavier.
Thats OK by me because it is very stout and protects better then the stock panels.
Liking mine more everyday because although you can clearly see the gas it is not perfectly clear. That would really look cheesy.

Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I'll weigh mine once I get it.

Well, I went with what I was leaning towards, the translucent white. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow if they got one in stock. If I absolutely hate the look I should be able to sell a white one easier than a black one.
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 am

Machtig wrote:
thumper_tx wrote:
I did not weigh my old tank and shrouds but it was easy to tell the Safari tank is heavier.
Thats OK by me because it is very stout and protects better then the stock panels.
Liking mine more everyday because although you can clearly see the gas it is not perfectly clear. That would really look cheesy.

Ron

Well, I went with what I was leaning towards, the translucent white. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow if they got one in stock. If I absolutely hate the look I should be able to sell a white one easier than a black one.

You could always paint it black. It may require a special paint from your local auto paint guru due to the type of plastic.
Sure would be cheaper and less hassle than trying to sell it and score a new one.
Just mt 2 cents.

Ron
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am

thumper_tx wrote:
Machtig wrote:
thumper_tx wrote:

Ron

You could always paint it black. It may require a special paint from your local auto paint guru due to the type of plastic.
Sure would be cheaper and less hassle than trying to sell it and score a new one.
Just mt 2 cents.

Ron

And you could mask off a sight window while you are painting it. Best of both.
Back to top Go down
28marcb

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 am

Keep it all black, and just know that you've got put some gas in it when the indicator comes on. I'm gonna get the black and look for shroud graphics to try and keep it looking stock..I mean if the light comes on, you know it is low. If it is clear and you look at it and it is low, then you know it is low. If you've driven 180 miles without gassing up, you know it is low... Very happy
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Kill two birds w/ one stone: translucent tank, then cover all but a small slit w/ a black decal/sticker. Done. Safari tank opinions 61865
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 am

It was posted a while back, but there's a thread on TT about dyeing a tank using regular clothes dye.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

<> My replacement Safari Tank (UPS stole the first one) is supposed to arrive today, so maybe I can finally see what the translucent tank is gonna look like against the black plastics. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Tank arrived, I'll post pics in a few hours once I get it installed. FYI the bare tank weighs 8.6lbs.
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm

28marcb wrote:
Keep it all black, and just know that you've got put some gas in it when the indicator comes on. I'm gonna get the black and look for shroud graphics to try and keep it looking stock..I mean if the light comes on, you know it is low. If it is clear and you look at it and it is low, then you know it is low. If you've driven 180 miles without gassing up, you know it is low... :D

Doesn't the low fuel light come on when you still have 1.5 gallons left in the Safari Tank? That's a lot of miles for a WR. Has anyone figured out how to make the low fuel light come on when you have between .5 to 1 Gallons left?

Thanks,
Hugh
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 am

Here she is, in all her translucent glory. I like it. A lot. Still waiting on a few more farkles to arrive before I can push her down to the gas station and see how much it holds.

Safari tank opinions DSC04026

Safari tank opinions DSC04027
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 am

WOW, that let you do that kind of work at an RV park?

Also, love the custom Lowe's bike stand Safari tank opinions 61865
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

looks cool fer sure...i'm not really sold on it tho..i really love the way it flies through air as is,no bulk or heavy weight..
but pretty cool looks Safari tank opinions 61865
nice bucket....
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

Got an update, Machtig? Krabill all white, you black with the trans-Safari. One of those two is how I'm gonna waste some hard earned cash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari tank opinions   Safari tank opinions Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari tank opinions
Page 1 of 1