Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

let someone ride my bike, came back dropped

Go down 
+13
oic0
Rusty Shovel
grw800
mucker
dmmcd
GT-250
motokid
ramz
nyc_bob
gatorfan
YZEtc
mvonhatten
I<3Mountains
17 posters
AuthorMessage
I<3Mountains

let someone ride my bike, came back dropped Empty
PostSubject: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

i let my friend ride my motorcycle around the neighborhood today, after allowing him to do so a couple times before. he came back this time after dropping it. i don't understand how he did it. he bent the clutch lever, handlebars and possibly something else because the front wheel doesn't feel smooth unless at low speeds.

i don't understand how i can keep it on two wheels for 40 miles but he cannot keep it on 2 wheels for 4, i am never going to let anyone ride my motorcycle ever again, this is really aggravating because it's my wheels and now i can't ride to work or school on it.

just had to vent, so pissed i won't be riding for a while

also need to know how much an oem handle bar and clutch lever are
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Tough situation. Hopefully he's a good friend and offered to cover the cost of the parts he trashed?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Sorry that happened to you, but it seems you learned the hard way just as I did when I was about 16 years old:

Want a ride on my bike?

FUGGETABOUTIT!

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 pm

I<3Mountains wrote:
.... after allowing him to do so a couple times before....

That's the part I don't get. A once off short ride for a good reason, like, "I am seriously thinking about getting a bike similar to yours, can you help me out and let me take a short spin" .

Coming back for round 2,3 and 4 ... I'd tell him to go piss on a sparkplug.
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm

I<3Mountains wrote:

That sucks.
You can find all the OEM stuff here with the parts fiche online:
https://www.bikebandit.com/

Might be cheaper/better to go aftermarket, the OEM levers aren't very strong.

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 am

Quote :

Contact me about a free replacement stock handlebar.
ramz@rickramsey.net

No PMs.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 am

I<3Mountains wrote:

i don't understand how i can keep it on two wheels for 40 miles but he cannot keep it on 2 wheels for 4,

That part is simple.

He doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

Absolutely the guy should pay for fixing the damage.

Valuable lesson learned at a high cost.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 am

YZEtc wrote:

Want a ride on my bike?

FUGGETABOUTIT!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

deal

RULE #1 = As Above,

RULE #2 = Refer to rule #1,

........But Remember ......If above rules are broken, then refer to Rule #3 = " IF YOU CRASH IT - YOU OWN IT " !

Not a very good mate if he hasn't at least offered to cover the cost of the damage.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

I had an XF200, brand new that I just had delivered to my house. My brother came over to check it out and I told him to take it for a spin. Turning out of my driveway he hit some gravel and dropped it, with less than 2 km on the odo. Scratched up the body work and broke the end off the brake lever.

Accidents happen. I hope he will pay for damages, but I wouldn't be too upset about it. I have been riding for 10+ years and probably 50,000 miles, MX, trails, street, and road course track days. I consider myself an above average rider, and just recently I dropped my WR250x coming out of a gas station on cold tires.

It could happen to you too, so get it fixed up and ride on!
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:52 am

My stock bars and lever bent the first time i dropped it...and even more the second time. Since then I put some pro taper bars and hand guards on (just bent the lever back) and have dropped it a ton horsing around...so far, the new bars don't seem to mind.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 pm

dmmcd wrote:
I have been riding for 10+ years and probably 50,000 miles, MX, trails, street, and road course track days. I consider myself an above average rider, and just recently I dropped my WR250x coming out of a gas station on cold tires.

I've been riding for 30+ years, over 300,000 miles. Today I dropped my R while following a 10-year old kid on a YZ85. Embarrassing!
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Someone once told me that half of all motorcycle accidents are by people on borrowed bikes. I don't know if this is true, but it FEELS true.

I lent my bike to a guy at work who talked a pretty good game in the parking lot. He nearly whiskey throttled into a pylon, then would have dropped it had I not rushed forward to grab the bike before it hit the ground. He was happy to give me back the keys and I was was eager to take them.

Lesson learned. Sorry to hear about the damage to your ride.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Yeah don't buy the OEM parts. Aftermarket are better and cheaper.

Anyhow, I know that same pain. My stock bars died when mine was knocked over in a parking lot. Cost about $50 to replace with decent parts.

As for friends, I sometimes lets them ride it but ONLY in grass and with the understanding before hand of you break it you buy it. Had a friend run my KX500 into a cow and trash the bars + left side radiator. Cost him $80 to replace my clutch lever, bars, and pick up an ebay rad (mine were already bent before, so I wasn't going to make him get me a new one).
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm

It's just a bike. Don't let it affect your friendship. If he's willing to pay for the cost of the parts to fix it, then its all good. Hopefully you have the tools and know how to wrench.

I honestly wouldn't give a damn if my friend thrashed my bike as long as he pays for damages that go above and beyond what I would do myself. I do trailride, and wouldn't really give a crap if my friend dropped it a gazillion times, or ride it into a mudhole. As long as it comes back to me functionally normally, washed and no worse than when I let him borrow it, then its cool.

That said, theres not many friends that I allow that privelage.

Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 am

The stock lever is a cheap replacement and the stock handlebars are a needed replacement imo... other than that put the bike on a stand and see how smoothly the front wheel spins freely. Could just need a wheel truing or perhaps a new rotor if that one was bent a bit.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 am

simonpig wrote:
It's just a bike. Don't let it affect your friendship. If he's willing to pay for the cost of the parts to fix it, then its all good. Hopefully you have the tools and know how to wrench.

If he didn't offer to pay I'd say that tells you all you need to know about the guy and the friendship is over.

Did he offer to pay?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 am

I guess a lot depends on your relationship with the bike. I would NEVER let anyone drive my bike on a public road. I'm just too attached to it. I'd be willing to let a friend test it out on a parking lot, to get a feel for the bike if he intends to get something similar, but nothing more. I have dropped my bike plenty of times, but it's different if someone else does it Very happy. I guess it's a bit like calling fat people fat. They get offended if you call them fat, but they call themselves fat all the time Very happy.

anyway I hope as a good friend he apologized and is paying for all the damage. if not, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Just tell him you guys are done, let it be a lesson, and don't hang out with him anymore. I have seen friends fighting over smaller things for years, and they usually don't end well. If he doesn't wanna pay, be the mature one and tell him to get lost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: let someone ride my bike, came back dropped   let someone ride my bike, came back dropped Empty

Back to top Go down

let someone ride my bike, came back dropped
Page 1 of 1