Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heads-up Voltage Monitor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Heads-up Voltage Monitor Empty
PostSubject: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Found this little jewel a while back and decided to try it out. The Heads-up Voltage Monitor is a neat little doo-dad for keep an eye on your battery voltage. You can see by the pic that the module is not very big. It fit nicely in the bracket where the AIS used to be with a zip tie to hold it in place.

Heads-up Voltage Monitor VoltageMonitor

Heads-up Voltage Monitor VoltageMonitorModule

It has a multi-colored LED light that tells you the state of your battery voltage. The LED fits in a 1/4" hole and that is all you see when it is mounted. I decided to put it on top of the left shroud in the black plastic area next to the fuel tank. The bezel for the light didn't quite snap into the plastic on the shroud as the plastic is a bit too thick. I put a dab of silicone on the back side just to keep it from popping out of the shroud.

Heads-up Voltage Monitor VoltageMonitorLED

The only wiring involved is a positive and negative wire. I routed the black negative to the battery ground, but you could simply use any bolt on the frame to ground the module. The red positive wire I spliced into one of the brown wires on the back side of the fuse box. This is a key on power wire, so when the key is off the voltage monitor is off. Otherwise it will run your battery down. The unit goes through a self test when turned on and the shows a steady green light for 12 volts. It will change to amber and red and flash depending on how low the voltage gets. The LED will also auto dim at night so it's not so bright. So far it works great and I like the fact that I can see how my battery is doing while I'm riding, and it takes up hardly any space on the bike.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 am

So do you allways pretty much get a steady green light?(12.9 or above)
or have you gotten a abmber or red steady ligh?(12.6, 12.1 above?) for starting and
stoping(cuting the motor off all the time)
just wodering.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 am

So far it just stays green the whole time the engine is running. I don't have any accessories loading the battery though. It is red in the picture because the bike had been sitting for a while and the engine wasn't running.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 3:45 pm

allright...thanks
I might just have to get me one. haha
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 am

That's pretty slick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heads-up Voltage Monitor   Heads-up Voltage Monitor Empty

Back to top Go down

Heads-up Voltage Monitor
Page 1 of 1