Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

rear shock rebuild/add oil?

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
sgbrandenberger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sgbrandenberger

rear shock rebuild/add oil? Empty
PostSubject: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello everyone, I just finally joined after visiting for months.
I just noticed the other day that my rear shock is no longer working. I went over a bump and i just kept bouncing for a while. I can see a little oil on the rod end of the shock. Can you add oil to these shocks? If so what type/weight? Anybody know where to get a new seal from? Also the bike has 5200 miles (only 200 by me) should the shock be dead this soon? Any help is appreciated. I do see that you can get a factory one for $500 or a whole revalve for $400 or so but all I want is a factory shock for a descent price. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:58 pm

When I bought my 2008 WR-250X (it was used but in great shape, except for one thing), the rear shock absorber was also leaking oil onto the shock shaft.
I contacted Go Race Suspension in Virginia to have it repaired, and I don't think it was anywhere near $400, if I recall.

The stock shock is, basically, a "cost-effective solution for our customers".
I think calling it a complete POS is a bit harsh, but just one step above it when compared to a Kayaba shock as found on one of Yamaha's other dirt bikes like the YZs and WR-Fs.
Back to top Go down
sgbrandenberger

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

That is encouraging that somebody has gotten one done cheaper. So does anybody know if i can just add oil to keep it going till next year when I leave Alaska? I really don't want to know how much it would be to ship.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Theres no way to add oil to it unfortunately.

Where in AK are you? I live in Fairbanks.

Back to top Go down
sgbrandenberger

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 6:52 pm

I am stationed down on Kodiak till next year.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Its useally about 150 bucks at a suspension shop for a rebuild thats a new seal head and oil plus recharging the shock.

I wouldnt put off rebuilding the shock, if it gets low on oil the piston will wear into the shock body and destroy it.

I`ve gotten other blown shocks done for 130 bucks before.

Theres a better than stock kyb seal head that fits the shock, race tech list it on there site, gorace also sells em.

You can get the seal head from race tech, most suspension shops can get their stuff, you can also buy direct, wrr suspension parts are not listed in most catalogs like parts for other more common dirt bikes.
Back to top Go down
marleymouse

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 5:25 pm

I have a man here in the uk that sorts the suspension on my ktm,s i sent my shock to him & he said it was a cheap & nasty chinese copy of a kayaba cry   he drilled & drained the reservoir,fitted it with a schrader valve filled it with heavier oil & regassed it & it is a big improvement...but i would still like to replace it with an ohlins or nitron something fully adjustable & rebuildable but nobody here in the uk or to my knowledge the us makes an aftermarket shock.
My suspension bud even spoke to a kayaba rep & he told him they make nothing that will fit..maybe we need to pester suspension companies & let them know there is a demand then they may tool up & supply one...cheers 
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 9:22 pm

There was a thread on here a while ago trying to get enough people to get elka shocks so elka will make one.

Try a revalved stocker, you might change your mind about needing a new shock.thumb 

You can revalve the shock and make it work great but it will never last as long between rebuilds as a better quality shock.
The stock shock only has a couple of shims for compression and rebound its very basic, the race tech gold valve kit uses 8-10 shims giving both high and low speed compression and rebound to get it to work more like a high end shock, the difference in shim stacks was huge.
Back to top Go down
v-tec

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I live in the UK and i got a pair of gold valves for my forks , and a gold valve kit and a uprated
seal head sent over from Race Tech,
With a couple of phone call to Travis at Go Race for some advice, i did a full re-valve with all new shim stacks, new blader in the rear shock supplied by travis,new oils and nitrogen.

This was the best upgrade i have done to the WR
The handleing is 10x better     infact its perfect,

That old shock had no rebound at any kind of speed, It pitched me over the bars and broke my back,
Anyway im all fixed now and back on the dirt,
So glad that ive rebuilt the shock ,  LOADS of rebound damping now.
Ta Ta for now
Cheers again to travis for his advise.
V-tec
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear shock rebuild/add oil?   rear shock rebuild/add oil? Empty

Back to top Go down

rear shock rebuild/add oil?
Page 1 of 1