Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R Fuel Pump Issue

Go down 
+3
rvsixer
YZEtc
brianwr250r
7 posters
AuthorMessage
brianwr250r

WR250R Fuel Pump Issue Empty
PostSubject: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 8:25 am

I am only a new dirtbike rider (but have done about 1/2 mill kms on the road). Was out riding with my son today, bike was fine stopped for a drink of water, turned the bike off. 5 mins later, tried to start and nothing!!. Could not get it started, had to leave my boy in the bush while I rode his bike to get help. Got home and an hr later, tried again and bang it started. I can't risk having this happen again, what should I do? I have read some of the forums but am not sure exactly what to replace it with. Help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:17 am

If you couldn't hear the fuel pump whirring for a second after turning the key switch to the ON position, it most likely is the fuel pump.

The cause is that, when it gets hot enough, parts of the pump expand, take-up needed clearance, and don't allow parts of the pump to spin that need to spin in order for the pump to work.
This is supposedly mainly on 2008 model machines that were made with fuel pumps that suffer from this problem.

The cure is to simply install a new, OEM fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am

Agree with YZEtc it's more than likely the fuel pump.

However I would not go the Yamaha branded OEM pump (over $300 list price, but can be found for ~$250 with some shopping).  I'd go for the Cycleworks branded pump for $129:
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-wr
Back to top Go down
brianwr250r

PostSubject: Thanks   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for the responses. It is a 2008 model and I suspect you are spot on with your assessment. The pump was absolutely silent when the bike was warm/hot (ie no whirring when the key is turned).

The last thing is, how difficult is it to replace the pump? I am reasonably handy at maintenance etc but have never played around with fuel pumps. Is it something you think is pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 7:57 pm

You drain the fuel, unbolt the fuel tank, tilt it back to detach the fuel delivery hose and fuel gauge sensor, remove the bolts holding the fuel pump in place.
Reverse procedure to put back together.

I did it to each of the 2008 models I rode in the past.
I used a new sealing gasket for good measure.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 am

I could be totally wrong, but that cycleworks "made in china" pump above looks pretty cheap on quality.

This one below has just been newly listed on ebay the other day, and seems to look the goods. ( Proberly made in china though too - like most shit these days, lol. Made in china can be ok, as long as it has full quality control of materials & workmanship ).

Anyway all jokes aside, this unit below is listed from a USA supplier, and states a full life time warranty ?
Read all the info on the listing, sounds like it should be a good quality pump.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Intank-Fuel-Pump-30mm-Yamaha-WR250R-WR250RB-WR250X-WR250F-2008-2011-/161028028513?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e04b861#ht_2315wt_959

Anyway, always good to have several options.

Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
brianwr250r

PostSubject: Ebay Pump   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 am

I have actually ordered one of these. Once I get it in and give it a test, I will post if it works OK. Thanks again to all for your help, I hope this fixes the problem.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 11:23 am

GT-250 wrote:
I could be totally wrong, but that cycleworks "made in china" pump above looks pretty cheap on quality.
It looks exactly like the OEM pump (save for a satin/grey instead of green finish), the OEM pump is also stamped Made in China, so I am not sure how the cycleworks pump "looks" cheaper.

The nice thing is both the Cycleworks and NEW REVISED OEM pump have the fixes in place.  Those non-OEM replacement pumps floating around on ebay may not, and I would suspect may even be an outlet for all those "bad" pumps manufactured before the fixes.  But that's just speculation on my part, my money would be on those suppliers that are known to have the fixes in place.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: fuel pump   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

No need to drain tank until one gets it off, then you can just dump it out the filler hole. Fuel injected you know.
Back to top Go down
brianwr250r

PostSubject: It works   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Sorry it has taken so long (Had an off on my road bike and damaged my shoulder so I haven't been able to ride for a couple of months). But I have installed the new pump. Was a little tricky to pull apart but a bit of gentle persuasion worked. Have had it in and tested it in reasonably hi temps and it appears to be working fine. Thanks for all the comments.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Did you install the cycleworks pump? Looks like just the pump and not the whole assembly. Seems like a bit of a job to get it in there. How much of a pain is it to get in?
Back to top Go down
marksg

marksg

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 10:49 am

I have an 08 WRR in the UK.
I don't use it much but it's been hot here this week and I've been riding, well I was until my fuel pump issues started.
Same scenario as most: when the bike is cool you can hear the pump initiate. When it's hot, there is no pump priming and I'm stranded!

Just asking if the mods I've done ; programmer, pipe, removal of all the heavy junk etc. contribute to the bike riding much hotter than stock and therefore causing the pump to stick.

I'm about to attempt a claim via my local dealer but anticipate they may give me this answer and negate the claim.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Fuel Pump Issue   WR250R Fuel Pump Issue Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R Fuel Pump Issue
Page 1 of 1