Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kurtz

2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... Empty
PostSubject: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 am

Hey all, I just picked up a 2008 WR250X, and from communicating with a member here about swapping some parts, I've got some questions about whether my X has been modified with R parts. Figured I'd ask the experts...

The bike I just picked up is titled as a 2008 WR250X, and the tag on the head of the frame does list the 17" tire size info, so I'm certain it IS a factory X model. It came with SM Supermoto 17" wheels(aftermarket) on the bike, and a pair of dirt wheels(21/18) with knobbies off the bike. The previous owner said he would swap the knobbies on to ride trails, direct fit. Both my 21" front and the 17" front on the bike have the smaller 250mm diameter rotor from the "R" model. I wasn't even aware of the two options from R to X until it was pointed out that the R wheels shouldn't be a direct swap.

What else should I look for, as parts that may have been swapped by a previous owner, to accommodate the smaller brake rotor? Are the fork legs and caliper the same on both models, with the X using an offset bracket from the factory to move the caliper outward? If not, are their visual indicators to tell me which forks I have, such as color? My current forks are gold, but http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_0806_2008_yamaha_wr250x_r/ mentions the X having black forks. If it's on the internet, it must be true, right? Very happy 

I'm hoping to trade some parts with a member here who has a factory X, with stock 17" wheels and the appropriate brakes to match, for R wheels, with the brake setup to match those. Before we start shipping stuff back and forth, I want to make sure the trade is going to leave him with a complete R front end and me with a complete X front end.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Sounds like the previous owner either put the bike together from parts or had the original wheels stolen & replaced them with aftermarket sets. The things that I know for sure are different on the X & R wheels & brake parts are the rotors & hubs which are larger on the X. The fork guards have different mounting spots for the front brake line, mounting bracket for the front caliper will be different, not sure of the caliper itself though. Other parts are interchangeable between models with only differences in colors.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 6:26 pm

The X has a different brake calliper and master cylinder, the fork guards are also different, side stand length is smaller on the X.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kurtz

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. Skithis and I are swapping parts, turns out I have "R" brakes and possibly even forks on my "X" bike. We're going to swap his 17" wheels, spacers, master and caliper for my 21/18 wheels, spacers, master and caliper, leaving us both with exactly what we're looking for. :)
Back to top Go down
paramud

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I did the same thing, Pretty sure forks are the same. Just change the kickstand and fork guards also. I went from X to R with someone on craigslist and changed this

Fork Guards
Whole front brake assembly (caliper, line and master cylinder)
Front tire.
Rear tire. (including sprockets, not sure if they are different though), but didnt have issues using the stock chain.
Kickstand

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....   2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm.... Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 WR250X with "R" brakes? Hmmm....
Page 1 of 1