Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?

Go down 
+5
dmmcd
BuilderBob
GusinCA
YZEtc
Skithis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Skithis

Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 am

I was thinking the other day about how heavy my bike was. What if somebody were to make a new engine cover with a seal and kick starter in it. Then all you would need is a block off plate for the factory starter pad. You could use a battery half the weight also. Wonder how much lighter our bikes would be?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:39 am

Not enough to justify the effort required.
The entire bottom end of the engine is noticeably larger and heavier than the engines of the motocross bikes you are probably thinking of.

If it were merely a case of removing the starter motor and starter clutch, it would make sense.
A 2003-or-later WR-250F is a candidate for such a thing if you really wanted to since it comes with the kickstarter parts already there along with the electric start.

The WR-250R crankcases were never designed or machined to have a way for a kickstarter shaft and the associated gears to fit.
Any bike you see with what looks like a plug blocking a kickstarter shaft hole or see a blank area where a hole for a kickstarter shaft would go was designed for kickstarting from the beginning and those parts were simply left off.

Beside all that, how many WR-250R riders would really prefer to remove the electric starting?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Just the other day my buddy and I were on a tiny single track winding up the side of a mountain, with lots of switchbacks.

When we would sometime stall on a switchback, I really envied my buddy and the way he almost fell off the mountain trying to kick start his bike, whilst I simply pushed a button and kept going.

Or not.
Back to top Go down
Skithis

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 am

I guess it doesn't bother me. I used to kick start a hot yz426 every time I crashed.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 am

The WR's engine is quite heavy for its size. I weighed one for shipping without starter or throttle body. It checked in at 80#+.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 9:37 am

How much does a starter weigh? Maybe 2 pounds? And my battery weighs like 1.5 pounds (Shorai). A kick starter setup probably weighs at least a pound with the lever and gear, plus the seals and everything. I definitely love the convenience of the e-starter, and will skip that breakfast burrito if I want to save a pound or two.

I remember reading a few years back that some competition MX bikes (I think KTM) were going to run an e-start. It would save time after a rider went down trying to get the bike started again.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 pm

YZEtc wrote:

A 2003-or-later WR-250F is a candidate for such a thing if you really wanted to since it comes with the kickstarter parts already there along with the electric start.

FWIW my 2013 WR250F came with a fully operational kickstarter - not just the guts.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Now, what I DO wish is that there were no way to accidentally run down the battery. Like a beeping noise when you leave the key on without the motor running or something.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 2:19 am

I just installed a Rekluse on my KTM and am really loving it. I'm torn between suggesting my dad get one for his WRR b/c if his battery goes flat you can't bump start it anymore. On the KTM its not an issue since I have E-start and a kickstarter backup.

So yeah, I'd be interested if one existed, but don't expect to see one unless Yamaha adds it and uses the same bolt pattern as earlier WR's.
Back to top Go down
danwray

danwray

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:14 am

I dont understand why you cant bumpstart with a dead battery, but you can kickstart. It seems to me that you could do both or neither. I bumpstarted mine the other day, but it wasnt completely dead, only the starter couldnt turn, but i heard the fuel pump activate.
Back to top Go down
lanerider

lanerider

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 am

just keep a good battery and put it on a trickle charge while its in your garage i change my battery every 12 months i don't think i would ever use a kickstart even if it was there the magic button it all i need  Very happy 
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:51 am

danwray wrote:
I dont understand why you cant bumpstart with a dead battery, but you can kickstart.  It seems to me that you could do both or neither.  I bumpstarted mine the other day, but it wasnt completely dead, only the starter couldnt turn, but i heard the fuel pump activate.

Bump starting works fine with a stock clutch. I was talking about if you add a Rekluse auto clutch. Its become one of my favorite mods I've done but you lose the ability to bump start.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 am

lanerider wrote:
just keep a good battery and put it on a trickle charge while its in your garage i change my battery every 12 months i don't think i would ever use a kickstart even if it was there the magic button it all i need  Very happy 

Never shorted a plate out yet huh? Had that happen on a YFZ once.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?   Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody else wish they made a kick start conversion?
Page 1 of 1