Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gazelle

YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? Empty
PostSubject: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:03 am

I found this:

"Any YZF rear sprocket will fit, you'll just have to change to tapered sprocket bolts (which aren't a bad idea to replace when you change sprockets anyway)."

Does this mean I can buy this sprocket?

http://www.qualitysmart.com/products/sprockets/vortexracing/vortex_racing_sprocket_yamaha_yz250f_01-08_208_3217.html

I want to use a 45t in the back, which is hard to find. And these look really nice!

Does you guys think this sprocket would wear out quickly because it's aluminum? I mean, we're talking less horsepower than a wr250f. And this company says they use the "highest grade 7075 T6 aluminum"

Here is an interesting question. Wouldn't a lower tooth count on the rear sprocket lower the wear? Effectively you are making less torque at the rear end, right? So wouldn't a 45t wear less than, say, a 50t?

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 6:12 am

gazelle wrote:

Here is an interesting question. Wouldn't a lower tooth count on the rear sprocket lower the wear? Effectively you are making less torque at the rear end, right? So wouldn't a 45t wear less than, say, a 50t?

The fact that the sprocket is aluminum will outweigh any other factors. "Highest grade" aluminum? Doesn't matter, it will not last as long as steel. The only Q is how big is the difference. According the mechanics at the Yami dealer near me ... the answer is quite a bit. And they both ride dirt.
Back to top Go down
gazelle

PostSubject: Re: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

So you agree that a smaller tooth will will make some sort of difference? I mean, yeah, obviously the fact that it's aluminum causes the biggest difference. I just figured that it being low on hp, low on sprocket tooth size, and being good quality aluminum that maybe it will last quite a while. My yz450f would tear throw aluminum sprockets like butter. But there we are talking 50hp as well as gobs of torque combined with a large rear sprocket. I know this may just be wishful thinking, but I would love justifying buying the vortex.

I may just pull the trigger on it.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 am

if you want the flashy look of the alloy sprocket, find a SuperSprox Stealth. alloy carrier with steel teeth. there is a few brands do them but the stealth looks the strongest joining method to me.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 am

Tooth count on the rear within reason won't have a measurable effect on wear. Larger front sprocket does. Ironman sprockets are the most durable I've ever seen or heard about & nearly as light as aluminum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?   YZF sprocket with tapered bolts? Empty

Back to top Go down

YZF sprocket with tapered bolts?
Page 1 of 1