Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clip style master link

Go down 
+3
skierd
boogn1sh
mfrankpdx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx

Clip style master link Empty
PostSubject: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:17 am

I've always been opposed to using a clip style master link on a chain, but I've also always owned sport bikes with a lot more power. Is a clip style master link safe to use on the 250?
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 am

sure it is. If you are worried about it, be sure to put it on the right direction and use safety wire and then a layer of silicone. I have used that method on my R6 track bike many times and never a problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:44 am

boogn1sh wrote:
sure it is. If you are worried about it, be sure to put it on the right direction and use safety wire and then a layer of silicone. I have used that method on my R6 track bike many times and never a problem.

I concur, I have run them and never had a problem...
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Whats wrong with rivet links?
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 pm

skierd wrote:
Whats wrong with rivet links?

It is nice to have the ability to remove the chain when you need to, personally, I would not trust the rivet style. I would always wonder whether or not I got the rivet mushroomed on enough to hold or if the wear factor would eventually let go. I have been using clip style links for a lot of years and have never thrown a chain. POINT to note: the open side of the clip faces the opposite direction of the rotation of the chain. (as you sit and look at the top half of your rear sprocket, chain rotation is clockwise, so the open end of the clip will face counter clockwise)
Back to top Go down
mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Put a clip style on, safety wired it, and spent the day doing wheelies. Seems to work just fine.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:59 am

My view is once you bite the bullet and purchase a quality chain riveting tool (not the cheap ones for under $100 that might last two times) and start using it, you'll realize that it is a more reliable way to connect your master link.

Like with crashing your bike, there are those that have had trouble with clip master links, and those that haven't, yet. :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 pm

On the Super Bike and big cc road bikes I go with the riveted chain but for off road bikes the clip style is the way to go, as you are changing gearing often enough that it is a convienience.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Ressurecting this old post to see if anyone has a photo of the safety wire idea on the master clip? I am guessing that it wraps around the clip to prevent it from opening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I've seen it like this:

Clip style master link Post-14322-022046600%201303969410_thumb

and like this:

Clip style master link MasterLink1

but I prefer to use a glob of bright red silicone because it's easy to see during a quick visual inspection:

Clip style master link IMG_3845
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 5:23 pm

That's great. Thanks for the pics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:08 am

thumb Yes, Thank you for the pictures! thumb
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks for the pictures MotoJunkie.

Does the silicon actually hold the clip on? Or is it just there to make that link stand out visually?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clip style master link   Clip style master link Empty

Back to top Go down

Clip style master link
Page 1 of 1