Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Won't start after filling up!?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Slideways

Won't start after filling up!? Empty
PostSubject: Won't start after filling up!?   Won't start after filling up!? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 am

It has happened twice which is exactly how many times the bike has been gased up since I've owned it. After filling up with it just cranks but will not start. Let it sit a minute or so and try again and I think I smell raw fuel. It starts after a little bit of throttle is applied and will not idle, must keep up the revs or it will stall. Runs poorly once under way, cuts out suddenly like fuel or spark is cut off. Within a mile all comes back to normal like nothing is wrong. Do not see any error indicator on the dash. Fuel pump was replaced by previous owner but don't the year of the replacement. My questions:

To what point should the tank be filled? I have not been filling to the top but a little above the metal insert.

Think fuel is getting in the cannister and thus into the throttle body and flooding the engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Won't start after filling up!?   Won't start after filling up!? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key?

I have a 2008 with original fuel pump. I also have original battery. I have original gas tank as well.
Mine is NOT a California model though.

I fill tank until no more gas can go in without it spilling over onto the tank.
I do this with bike on side stand.

Might help for you to list any modification to your bike that have been done.

Please check all your battery connections.

Also - how many mile must you travel before bike starts operating "normally"?
How long before you can shut off bike, then restart it without any issues?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Won't start after filling up!?   Won't start after filling up!? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 12:36 pm

A bit more of a pain in the ass to check, but a few people have had some really strange things happening and discovered their spark plug has been broken. Like cracked ceramic.

If you feel like diggin down deep...might want to check and/or just replace spark plug.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Slideways

PostSubject: Re: Won't start after filling up!?   Won't start after filling up!? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 pm

The problem is what I suspected. Filling the tank too full and gas running into the charcoal canister and into the throttle body thus flooding the engine. A bit more care when filling up plus will likely remove the canister this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Smashey

PostSubject: definatly flooding   Won't start after filling up!? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 pm

yup get rid of that damn eyesore and call it a day :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Won't start after filling up!?   Won't start after filling up!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Won't start after filling up!?
Page 1 of 1