Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR and WRX rear suspension difference

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigPigRider

WRR and WRX rear suspension difference Empty
PostSubject: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Mine is a 2008 (or '09) WRR. I'm interested in scoring a spare rear shock to send off and have some work done.

I found a used WRX shock locally (live in Japan) on the cheap, but before I buy, I want to make sure.

I've read that these two suspension components are identical...for example in this thread:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9004-wrx-suspension-vs-wrr-suspension

However, when I look at the Yamaha parts fiche (for 2008 or 2009), the two shocks have different parts numbers:
WRR: 32C-22210-00-00
WRX: 32C-22210-10-00

Can anyone enlighten...?

Cheers in advance.

Jim in Japan
Back to top Go down
BigPigRider

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 am

Wow...
Is my question either too obvious or too retarded..?
;>
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 am

Usually two different part numbers means the two parts are different.  In Automotive Engineering you change the part number whenever their is a physical part change so you can track which part goes to which vehicle.  

Unless you work for the GM ignition switch team, then you change the part without rolling the part number (probably under orders of management) and release it into production to correct an issue and make it difficult for Federal Investigators to track down ignition switch failures and accidents resulting from them.  Your reward is to be fired and have possible criminal charges filed against you for your action or inaction.

The suspension may physically fit both bikes but the part number means there is a difference in the parts.

Last edited by rsteiger on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 am

Honestly, I don't think 99% of owners know the answer, including me.

My feelings are that the two bikes are identical except for the obvious differences.
I remember reading an official Yamaha blurb about the WR-250X (or, at least I think I remember reading it) saying the suspension came with different settings compared to the WR-250R.
Different settings can mean merely different compression and rebound clicker settings, and/or having the spring preload set at a different length.

If you want to ask somebody who has their nose inside the guts of these suspension parts, ask a reputable suspension shop guy like Travis from Go Race Suspension in VW.
He did my WR-250X shock, he says he knows much about these two models, and I wouldn't be surprised if he can give you an answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

your google-fu is weak, grasshopper:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Mar/080331wr.htm

Quote :
The two models also share the same amount of front travel at 10.6", but the WR-Xs forks have a stiffer spring rate, heavier damping, and will stop considerably quicker with its larger brake rotor. To accommodate the big disc, a larger caliper mount is cast on the left fork's lower leg.

Out back, the rear suspension on both machines are full SOQI units (Yamahas in-house damper), but like the forks, the WR-X's shock differs with a heavier spring and revised damping rates.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Travis at Go Race Suspension would be the best person to ask as he's rebuilt many of both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR and WRX rear suspension difference   WRR and WRX rear suspension difference Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR and WRX rear suspension difference
Page 1 of 1