Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What's in your tool kit?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
adub

What's in your tool kit? Empty
PostSubject: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Besides the standard kit that came with your bike when you bought it, what else do you carry around for trail/road-side repairs and other such emergencies? Although I have a few ideas what some of you might say, such as motion pro tire tools, 24mm and 27mm axle wrenches, maybe some extra allen wrenches or a multi-tool, maybe that handy rear stand thingy Highfive dug up. Maybe all of the above. What type of bare bones tool kit lives on your bike no matter what, and what do you pack over and above when you're planning a longer trip, possibly into the middle of nowhere?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:25 pm

What's in your tool kit? Toolkit

From left to right
OE screwdriver and extra bit, punch for setting the sprocket key, 3/8 drive extension, OE pliers, spare drain bolt (KLR) and washer, 8-10-12mm 6pt wrenches, 8mm allen drive, 4-5-6mm allen L keys, 22mm socket (front wheel), 8-10-12-17mm 6pt sockets, OE spark plug wrench, magnetic pickup tool, valve stem tool, 3/8 drive adapter, and another 3/8 extension.

Almost pictured are the tire irons and tent mallet, not pictured are a motion pro 27mm combo spoon, patch kit, co2 pump, vice grips, 14mm 6pt wrench, and ADV stand. If I'm not camping, I have a small hammer to replace the tent mallet.

Eventually I'd like to move it all to a Wolfman Enduro tool roll I think, but this little case works pretty good. Came with my first bike, not sure what it was for originally, but its handy as a small tool case.
Back to top Go down
adub

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 12:31 am

Great! Thanks skierd! thumb I take it this is your standard set up. Do you ever reconfigure your kit depending on what you plan to do or do you find this pretty much covers whatever you might get into that can be fixed without calling for back-up? "ADV stand" sounds more official than "handy rear stand thingy". scratch Can I assume we're talking about the same thing?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 am

My day ride kit is a little different from my adv ride one. I don't carry the stock tool kit. The previous owner lost the strap, but i generally take my own, anyway. Under the seat there's more room since i removed the flapper stuff, so i put my motion pro tire irons with the wrench on the end.. 27 & 22 for both axles. I also have the 12/13mm tire sppon. Pricey, but very nice & lightweight. A tow strap also fits in under the seat.. 1" wide nylon webbing.. good enough for an emergency tow. I wrap them with the spark plug socket in a microfiber towel to not rattle, & i that way i also have a towel.

I'm still getting my luggage situated, but my tools consist of a stubby screwdriver with a half dozen bits including a 1/4" adapter & the 3 hex bits. 8, 10, & 12mm 1/4" sockets, a nifty hex bit w/ a 1/4" drive combo socket wrench.. about 4" long, a 1/4" extension, 6" needle nose vise grip pliers (has wire cutter), a tire patch & small tube of rubber cement. These all fit in a neoprene pouch that go anywhere. I'm thinking i need a 10 & 12 combo wrench, just for the chain adjusting.. I like the nut adjust, but the snail adjusters don't require a wrench.

I have since added a tusk co2 inflater (from rocky mtn.. only $11). I have a small bicycle pump, but got this recently.. the pump is probably more reliable. I have a valve removal cap for tire maintenance. I also carry some assorted zip ties & a small roll of electrical tape.

For a few years I carried some 14 gage wires i had soldered as a jumper cable, but never used them & have been leaving them out.. bumping isn't that hard, & i've never had a battery issue... yet. When i do, i'll wish i had the cables. In my pocket i have a micro multi tool with pliers, knife & a small led light. If i'm on a longer ride i'll bring a small led flashlight. I also carry a 4" lock blade knife in my tank bag.

I might need to add a 17mm wrench or socket.. probably never use it, though. I've noticed they have some titanium combo wrenches.. but at $100 for a set of 4, i'll probably pass.. they look pretty cool, though.

I try to go minimal.. if i don't use something fairly regularly, i'll eliminate it. I do bring a backpacker's first aid kit.. hopefully i won't be using it regularly! I did use it earlier this summer when my riding buddy decided to do cartwheels down the road.. on the bike.. fortunately he was just scraped up.

I've always just used a rock or log as a stand.. that with other rocks & sticks can prop up the bike pretty well. Here in Az, we've got plenty of rocks.

I don't bring spare tubes. If it can't be fixed, usually you can ride it out flat. Zip ties will hold the tire to the rim.. i've ridden over 100 miles on a flat front.. not recommended, but possible.

I think i might toss in the 3 hex wrenches.. just easier to use than the hex bits, & they don't take up much room. A small kit with just basic tools is really all you need. There is no way to be prepared for every mechanical issue.. some things will have to wait until the garage. But most issues can be tackled with this minimal setup.. zip ties & duct tape are the motorcyclist's friend!

scotty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:10 am

...A can of beer and a mini-bottle of Crown Royal... What's in your tool kit? 723941
Back to top Go down
adub

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks, scotty! I think that probably sounds like more than it is, but you can never be too prepared, right?

SpaGuru wrote:
...A can of beer and a mini-bottle of Crown Royal... What's in your tool kit? 723941

Uh-oh! SpaGuru. This is about where my mechanical skills leave me, too. What's in your tool kit? Icon_rolleyes
Cept I'll usually pack a few four letter words in for good measure.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:11 pm

SpaGuru wrote:

+1!!

Also, on my commute, I take a backpack with my lunch, phone, wallet etc. & also a small first aid kit with assorted plasters & some big army type field dressings, which I hope never to use......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's in your tool kit?   What's in your tool kit? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's in your tool kit?
Page 1 of 1