Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Death Wobble

Go down 
+13
dugsgms
mlacey56
WRoldman
NorCalWR
SpiritWolf15
BluePill
ZED
X-Racer
inspector
0007onWR
rokka
SheWolf
wildmotha
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Enduro

Death Wobble - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 pm

I see this is a somewhat dated thread, but it's something i'm concerned about. I used to own a 2006 KLX250s that had this un-popular trait. I'm thinking of getting a wrr, but don't want to have to solve anymore wobble issues. For those that have had the issue w/ the wrr, has anyone tried changing to a more steet oriented rear tire or tried riding without your mirrors? I've read that mirrors can sometimes be the culprit which makes sense when you think about it, as they are attached to the ends of your bars and they do grab the wind.

I think another big culprit is the type of rear tire. Most people naturally think it's the front tire, but it's been my experience that the rear tire affects it more. I found this out by accident when I changed my rear tire to a more street oriented tire and it made the bike much more stable. Again, kind of makes sense if you think about it. If the back tire is an aggressive knobbie that doesn't make much contact, it can make the bike squirrly which could be the source of or aggravate any wobbly situation.

Has anyone w/ the X model noticed any instability issues? If not, this would definately point to tires or geometry.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Ran the stockers for 2 days before ripping them off and going to a real tire. When I ran the stockers, I didn't get any wobble, even at high speeds. Switching to the 606's again, no wobble, even at high speeds. One can go to under bar mount mirrors which definitely cut some of the wind resistance, but I've never experienced a wobble or tank slapper in all of my years of riding both sportbikes and enduro/MX bikes. Death Wobble - Page 2 29721

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Take the wheels off and balance'em with lead weights.......

Speaking of "Speed Wobbles"........this guy had some issues at the Mavericks contest this past weekend Death Wobble - Page 2 640571 .........not sure how you hold your breath long enough to survive a wipeout on those big/cold/POWERFUL waves.......ouch!

Death Wobble - Page 2 Mavericks
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 am

My KLR had 606's on it never experienced any problems.
Now my WR has them no problems yet.
only had the bike a few days but I have hit everything from I-5 to tight muddy woods and some logging roads.
Bike cruises 75 no prob. cheers
Back to top Go down
Enduro

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 am

Ok, glad to hear that most don't experience it with this bike. The few that have probably need to play around w/ some different suspension settings, balance wheels, check bearings, all the usual culprits. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 6:30 pm

may have been mentioned here and it may sound a little dumb but have you checked that you chain adjusters are lined up correctly, so you back wheel is running true, not skew-iff....Also, I think a steering damper is unnecessary on a bike of this size....It also has the negative effect of masking a crap suspension setup. Look into this...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

+1 on the steering damper. Death Wobble - Page 2 61865
I know also that with the 606 tires, there is a certain way the tire goes on, which lines a point of the tire on the rim in accordance to where the stem is for the tube. Both have to line up. This is specifically for balancing.

PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Death Wobble
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2