Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Foot position when standing

Go down 
+11
ZED
X-Racer
2goose
The Yeti
0007onWR
Krabill
SpiritWolf15
motokid
inspector
SheWolf
lancek
15 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

Foot position when standing Empty
PostSubject: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:35 am

Being new to bikes - 2 months in - I am after a quick tip - when I ride I stand on the pegs with the front of my foot - pretty much at the base of my toes. This however makes things difficult when braking or changing gears and I often find myself not being able to achieve the brake or change as smooth as I want.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 am

A lot of people ride on the balls of their feet. I do a fair amount, but when headed downhill or going thru technical stuff the peg is in the arch of my foot so I can shift and brake. thumb

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 10:01 am

Shewolf is probably right on this one. I think I do the same. Have bent my shift lever so many times, it's easy to stay kind of under it with my toe. The rear brake on the other hand is a pita to cover for any length of time. It's adj. all the way down, but still not enough.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

SheWolf wrote:
A lot of people ride on the balls of their feet.

I'm one.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am

SheWolf wrote:
A lot of people ride on the balls of their feet. I do a fair amount, but when headed downhill or going thru technical stuff the peg is in the arch of my foot so I can shift and brake. thumb

I have the pegs under the balls of my feet too... It was where they naturally gravitated to when I first started riding. Heading down a technical embankment however... If my bike is behaving and not trying to drag me over baseball sized boulders... I try to have the pegs in the middle of my feet... Then again since my bike seems to take pleasure in trying to kill me by not slowing down... EVER... My foot position is known to change, sometimes rather abruptly...
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm

You have more control if you ride with the footpeg in the middle of your boot (on your arches), but I use a sort of modified stance.

I keep my left foot on the ball so my toe is away from the shifter. Nothing sucks more than an inadvertent downshift in the middle of a technical rocky section because you were standing on the arch of your foot and accidentally tapped the shifter under your foot. I keep my right foot's arch on the peg for better control and so I have access to the brake lever at all times.

Like I said, it's a little awkward to have each foot in a different spot, but I feel it gives me the best control w/o sacrificing braking ability or inadvertent downshifts.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Are you a particularly tall guy?

Maybe you need taller bars?
Back to top Go down
The Yeti

The Yeti

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Krabill wrote:
You have more control if you ride with the footpeg in the middle of your boot (on your arches), but I use a sort of modified stance.

I keep my left foot on the ball so my toe is away from the shifter. Nothing sucks more than an inadvertent downshift in the middle of a technical rocky section because you were standing on the arch of your foot and accidentally tapped the shifter under your foot. I keep my right foot's arch on the peg for better control and so I have access to the brake lever at all times.

Like I said, it's a little awkward to have each foot in a different spot, but I feel it gives me the best control w/o sacrificing braking ability or inadvertent downshifts.

This is exactly how I do it, wasn't really a conscious decision, either. Just sort of evolved that way.
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 6:06 pm

thanks for the awesome input all - I look forward to trying the new stance when I get my bike back together again!

I am also getting some risers so that may make the whole thing come together even better...

great advice and thanks

Lance
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 7:20 pm

The Yeti wrote:
Krabill wrote:

This is exactly how I do it, wasn't really a conscious decision, either. Just sort of evolved that way.

I was going to say that too, just couldn't spell staggard so didn't, (but I ride with feet switched oppisitly for long, standing, boring sections.)

*crap, now i got two words I can't spell. Maybe I should just leave my first post?
Back to top Go down
2goose

PostSubject: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm

It also is a good idea to point your toes inward which helps to keep your knees gripping the tank.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 pm

Probably a personal preference and discretion with regard to balance and control access in varying conditions.

Frankly I never think about it.

...but in general (I think) when I am standing up (at speed) I am usually on the balls of my feet. The reason being is that when at speed I am not likely to be shifting as much and I can articulate my body fore-and-aft (bump negotiation) and weight the bike (left-Right) in the air more easily as my weight seems more direct (maybe it's more leverage being on the outside of the peg).

When in tight technical stuff that requires standing I center my foot for control access (here I am hugging the tank tightly with my knees continuously using that as the influence of leverage more so than the pegs)

For smooth left-right, quick turning, up-on-the-tank, sit-down stuff I also center my foot for control access.

Style and methods are all different. What works for some seems awkward for others.

I watch guys ahead of me seeming go through stuff that I feel challenges me ( just to be smooth and maintain absolute traction). ...and other times guys behind me said they don't understand how I ride through that stuff that fast and never seem to leave the seat.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 am

Interesting responses. Food for thought.

I tend to ride on the balls of my feet no matter what bike I'm riding or where I'm riding.
On longer trips I actually tend to get calf craps at night because I forget to actually shift my feet in order to allow the muscles to rest. That's how much better in control I feel in that position. However, I also have not become proficient yet at shifting while standing, so maybe the staaagggggaaarrd thing is worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 am

A thought on gripping the tank . . . it's fine if you are hauling ass down a fire road as it helps connect your weight to the bike making for a more stable ride. Heavier bikes go better in a straight line than lighter bikes.

For slow, technical riding you want your knees apart so the bike can shift around under you.

Knees apart - let the bike move . . .

Foot position when standing 2mwrvqb

Foot position when standing 2d9uv6b
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 6:54 pm

+1 on foot and body position depending on conditions. I've always used the Krabill style of shakin' my booty in slow uneven ground, but now that I see how gay it looks I don't think I'll do it if someone has a camera nearby (or if I hear banjo music in the woods).Foot position when standing 89954
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:44 am

Like the photos Krabill. I was thining about how to post a related question: does anyone use a litte Stompgrip on the plastic on either side of the tank? Riding on dirt and mud (no rocks) on my X, I'm trying to hold the bike tightly between my thighs. That's my road riding experience. I thought some Stompgrip might help get some traction without squeezing so hard.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Oh FWIW - road riding is strictly the balls of the feet on the pegs. You get the most control that way.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:28 pm

BluePill wrote:
+1 on foot and body position depending on conditions. I've always used the Krabill style of shakin' my booty in slow uneven ground, but now that I see how gay it looks I don't think I'll do it if someone has a camera nearby (or if I hear banjo music in the woods).Foot position when standing 89954

Foot position when standing 851577 BAHHH HAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 pm

1moreroad wrote:
Like the photos Krabill. I was thining about how to post a related question: does anyone use a litte Stompgrip on the plastic on either side of the tank? Riding on dirt and mud (no rocks) on my X, I'm trying to hold the bike tightly between my thighs. That's my road riding experience. I thought some Stompgrip might help get some traction without squeezing so hard.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Oh FWIW - road riding is strictly the balls of the feet on the pegs. You get the most control that way.

There are definitely times when a better grip on the shroud plastics would be nice. I have stomp grip on my track bike and my Ducati touring bike. I'm going to put it on my WR also.

Something to remember when positioning it though is that your knee position can vary significantly depending upon what boots you are wearing and sitting vs. standing. Seems obvious, but I made that mistake the first time I applied it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 am

Tibarus wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

I have the pegs under the balls of my feet too... It was where they naturally gravitated to when I first started riding. Heading down a technical embankment however... If my bike is behaving and not trying to drag me over baseball sized boulders... I try to have the pegs in the middle of my feet... Then again since my bike seems to take pleasure in trying to kill me by not slowing down... EVER... My foot position is known to change, sometimes rather abruptly...

"rather abruptly"...lol i know what you mean :)
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:30 am

BluePill wrote:

lol wow cant stop laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foot position when standing   Foot position when standing Empty

Back to top Go down

Foot position when standing
Page 1 of 1