Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best snow tire to use with screws?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrOH

Best snow tire to use with screws? Empty
PostSubject: Best snow tire to use with screws?   Best snow tire to use with screws? EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 5:25 pm

my stock trail wings are almost worn out, for my next set I want a much more aggressive tire like the 606 or m21 but can anyone recommend which would be the best choice to put snow screws in? Doesn't have to be the two tires i listed
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: use the cheapest knobbie you can find IMHO.   Best snow tire to use with screws? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 10:08 am

Use a hex head screw
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Best snow tire to use with screws?   Best snow tire to use with screws? EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Forget screws get studs, they wont last more than 1 long ride.

A local dealer (RPM cycle) is selling prestudded tires around here, they're the way to go for winter trail riding.

I have grip studs in a kenda southwick fornt and a irc m5b rear as I've had them for longer than it was easy to buy prestudded tires, they work about the same but I had to screw em in myself. You want a soft terrian tire with softish rubber, this is what works best holding in studs/screws, they pull out of hard rubber easier and the open tread works best in snow.

A bunch of guys studding tires use the kenda washagual sticky tires, they hold studs well.

If you only want to go for a ride or two in the winter putting cold kutter screws in either tire you mentioned will work but the rear tire will spit the screws out quickly on trails, avoid dirt at all cost if you have screws it pulls the screws right out. Studs can be ridden on dirt for a long time before they come out, I've gottten a few winters out of my studded tires and they're going back on this winter.

Last edited by Biglake on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wrrOH

PostSubject: Re: Best snow tire to use with screws?   Best snow tire to use with screws? EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for the info biglake, I guess I'll skip the screws because dirt and pavement will be involved for the most part but I picked up some continental tkc 80s, hopefully they'll be decent in the snow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best snow tire to use with screws?   Best snow tire to use with screws? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best snow tire to use with screws?
Page 1 of 1