Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Changing Tyres 101

Go down 
+2
YamWOW!
lancek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 7:25 am

are there any good sites inc vid or pictures on how to change out tyres? I have a new set of 606's and have good experience with bicycle tyres but nothing like this.

Any tips and tricks would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 am

This how I do it. A simple stand makes it sooo much easier. It is the best $99 I have spent on a motorcycle tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg&feature=PlayList&p=1120017E3FF34094&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTatadVNA-c&feature=PlayList&p=1120017E3FF34094&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJXE73rGvk&feature=PlayList&p=1120017E3FF34094&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

inspector

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 am

Very nice. He makes it look sooooo easy. I like how he slipped the tire valve stem in, will try that next time.

If I'm at home changing a tire I use a 5gallon bucket as a stand. Moves around on you, but it works in a pinch. Also (don't remember where I've seen it) I cut up a shampoo bottle and use two 3x4(or so) pieces to protect the rim from the tire irons. I carry these in my backpack along with all my other tools too.
Lastly when I'm all done, I air up my tire and then let it all out 2 to 4 times. Not sure if it's neccesary, but I feel it gives the tube a chance to untwist if something went wrong during install.

*Changing tires sucks because there is always a chance of something going wrong. It is also a very good thing to know how to do trailside.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Read:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Or watch the above videos.

I actually just did a tire change by myself for the first time this afternoon. I've swapped tires 3 other times already on this bike, but this was my first solo job.

Take your time. It should be a little tedious, but not hard. If its hard, you're doing it wrong.

Soapy water on the bead and rim helps everything slip together.

Check what your iron is grabbing before you start pulling on that iron, make sure the tube is clear. Make sure the tube is partially inflated so that it doesn't get twisted, and before you set the second bead check again that the tube is clear and not twisted. Nothing worse than having to do it twice because you didn't check.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm

Also make sure that if your tire is 'centered' that you line up the dot with your valve stem...you'd be amazed what that will do to handling... deal

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks all - when you say dot with valve stem - what does that mean? Sorry very limited experience when it comes to this.

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 am

Some tires come with a dot painted on the tire. The D606 is a good example, it's a yellow dot on the sidewall. You line up that dot with your valve stem, and it's supposed to center the tire for balancing measures. It definitely works. thumb

BluePill

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Good videos. I made a good changing stand out of a 42 gallon plastic trash barrel with a 17" car tire laid on top. It was quite stable, but adding 10 gallons (80 pounds) of water made it rock solid, and the height was perfect for working without bending over. I purchased 3 of the motion pro long spoons and the bead buddy as recommended. Best $60 I've spent this year! I did find it helpful to use 2 "C" clamps on the tire directly across from where I was spooning when installing the 2nd (final) bead in order to keep both beads in the drop center of the wheel.

Changing Tyres 101 TireonDrum-1

Changing Tyres 101 TireonStack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changing Tyres 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Tyres 101   Changing Tyres 101 Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing Tyres 101
Page 1 of 1