Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

LED Light Bar wiring

Go down 
+4
Gany
Leo167
KiLLeRrKeN
rarepartbuilder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BCRider

LED Light Bar wiring Empty
PostSubject: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey guys,
I'm looking to install one of these light bars to my bike and would like to have it switched on/off using high beam switch, ie. high beams are on, so are the LEDs.

Where should I connect it in.. Assuming I'll cut into the wiring sleeve at closest point, from there what colour wires will I see that I need to connect to the light's wires for this to work?

Or a better way?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Light-Lumen-Degree-Waterproof/dp/B00AZPI0NE/ref=pd_cp_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YA474N85KGAND4J52WH
LED Light Bar wiring 61xacq10
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 7:59 pm

I cant tell you the color of the wires, I hooked up my lights months ago and forget but I wired two 10 watt leds into my high beam wires so they are on with the stock high beam, this set up works well for me.

Just take a multi meter (theyre 10 bucks if you don't have one) and find which wire is high beam and which is ground right behind the stock light, theres only 3 wires so its not hard to figure out and hook into them. thumb
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 2:32 am

Gotcha, I'll pick one up tomorrow for sure..what should I set it to?

Then from there, do I cut open the cabling sleeve, splice into the wires, solder, shrink wrap?
Any specific place I should connect?

Back to top Go down
KiLLeRrKeN

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 pm

You can tap into the low or high beam, which ever your prefer, or even make your own switch for it.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 7:02 pm

run the high beam wire to a three position...two ,pole toggle switch.. in one position high beam will run the super duper LED in the other position on the two pole switch your regular high beam light will come on. in the set up i have with led on another bike the two pole switch has a center area that is like neutral and when in this position i can shut the lights completely out

in the attachment i sent power to the center two posts so that in neural i could shut the head lights out altogether on high beam only {low beam will always send power to your stock head light}

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/NOISETOASTER/images/centeroff.gif

you will be happy adding a led for off road,,its like turning on the sun
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks guys,
Think I'm good to just use the stock high beam switch for now, keep it simple..

How can I determine which wires are high beam?
I looked at the circuit diagram in the service manual, but wasn't certain what it was telling me Suspect

This is what I'm looking at.. soon to have a mulitmeter in hand (amazon).

LED Light Bar wiring 2015-010
Back to top Go down
KiLLeRrKeN

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 8:02 pm

If you want to know what the high light and low light wires are, just turn the bike on and see what wires get power on the low light then try the high beams and see what wires get power.

here is a secret, one wire will be negative and the other two will be either high or low beam.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Black is the ground so that ones easy.

Start the bike turn the high beam on, stick the meter onto the connecter to one of the other wires until you find the one with 12 volts.
Its either the yellow or green.

I just got home from a ride and it was dark for the last half hour of it, my added LEDs plus stock high beam were way brighter than anyone elses lights by a huge amount. thumb

I prefer to twist the wires together, solder them then heat shrink them, this way they never get water in them and stop working like connecters will do eventually.
I spliced into the wires a couple of inches behind the bulb as it was a easy spot to work on the wires.
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Seems so obvious when you all put it like that! cheers
Does it matter which of the two black wires I splice into for ground?

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Nope.
Back to top Go down
Leo167

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 3:19 pm

Have you considered posi taps, instead of spicing? I find them super easy to use for things like this... And reversible with minimal damage to existing wiring just incase you decide to sell or trade the bike in stock form
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 5:26 am

Black = ground
Green = low beam
Yellow = high beam

As an aside, when high beam is selected, low beam turns off (Australian model anyhow). I tried to wire up 2 LEDs (wide/spot), wide to low, spot to high hoping both would come on but the wide turned off when I hit high beam.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 7:58 am

They're all like that, you can only have either the high or the low beam on never both.

The guys I ride with don't like my pair of 10 watt 10 degree spot leds, they claim if im behind them on the trail the lights over power theirs so much it makes a shadow of their bike/body and they cant see, all I know is I can see great lol.thumb
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Lite mount   LED Light Bar wiring EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 11:57 pm

BC
Where and how did you mount that LED?
Dave
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:14 am

My brother has the light pictured in the first post and I have two of these and mine are way brighter...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10WATTS-LED-CREE-SQUARE-AUXILIARY-SPOT-BEAM-WORK-LIGHT-MOTORCYCLE-US-SELLER-/221632138143?hash=item339a4e0b9f&vxp=mtr

He's ditching the small 18 watt bar and getting what I have as theres no comparison in how much light they put out.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 am

Wiring diagram; (might help with your hi-beam switch for your light bar or any aux lighting solution)
http://keysdog.com/YamahaWR/WR250RX%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

Fantastic lights; (don't let their small size fool you)
http://mondomotos.com/MM10
Back to top Go down
BCRider

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 pm

sophijo wrote:
BC
Where and how did you mount that LED?
Dave

Sophijo - I mounted it to the front of the handguard. The bolt for the handguard fits very nicely through the included bracket... about as easy an install as I could hope for.
That being said, next time the right side of the bike hits the dirt, the handguard may twist and the light along with it. uncertain results to come.
In any case, I bought an extra one, so worst case, 18 bucks flushed. And that's CDN bucks, which are hardly worth the paper they're printed on these days cry

LED Light Bar wiring 2015-110

The improvement in night time visibility on the trail is a huge game changer for me - since I installed it, I've been going out into the thick of it around dusk, just so i have to get out in the dark dunno  My wife questions it given the bears and cougs, meh.

Also thanks Leo167 for the posi taps suggestion - those things are excellent!
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Heres a pic of mine they're mounted on tiny brackets to the top triple clamp bolt...

LED Light Bar wiring Dscn0011
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:53 am

Here's the Mondo Moto 10w light(s) mounted to the HDB handguard;
LED Light Bar wiring 10141513
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED Light Bar wiring   LED Light Bar wiring Empty

Back to top Go down

LED Light Bar wiring
Page 1 of 1