Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zone47

avatar


PostSubject: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Is there any reason I would want to upgrade to a newer model? I mean are there any huge advantages to buying a newer WR250R like aluminum frame or more power or better handling, or is the 08 pretty much the same thing? scratch
Back to top Go down
wwguy

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:00 am

Initial 2008 model bikes had some fuel pump problems for some owners, but many others are still running original pumps. There are a few variations in white and blue plastics and decals artwork and color combinations from year to year.

Other than that I think all well-maintained 2008-2016 bikes are pretty much the same and have interchangeable parts.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:42 am

All WR250R model years (and WR250X model years) are the same bike, save for cosmetics like decals and the color of the rear fender.
No changes, otherwise.
Back to top Go down
zone47

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 am

Ok, thanks .... I was hoping they would hop the engine up eventually and give it an aluminum frame. It's probably hard to keep the priced right in that case, so understood.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 am

It does have an aluminum frame.
The cradle under the engine is steel, and the subframe (the rear part where the seat and muffler mount) is steel, but the main frame spars are aluminum.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:41 am

zone47 wrote:
Ok, thanks .... I was hoping they would hop the engine up eventually and give it an aluminum frame.  It's probably hard to keep the priced right in that case, so understood.

Are you sure you bought the right bike? scratch

The frame has been aluminum from the beginning. The little fuel-injected 250cc engine has titanium intake valves, revs to 10,000 RPM, goes 3000 miles between oil changes, and goes 26,000 miles between valve adjustments. What else do you think should be "hopped up" on a 250cc dual-sport?
Back to top Go down
zone47

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 am

YZEtc wrote:
It does have an aluminum frame.
The cradle under the engine is steel, and the subframe (the rear part where the seat and muffler mount) is steel, but the main frame spars are aluminum.


Whhaatt?

I read somewhere (on the internet, so you know it's true) that the WRR had a silver painted steel frame and the WR-F got the aluminum frame in 08 and that's why there is so much weight difference. dddog

I've never ground the paint off my frame but if you say it's aluminum, then that's pretty cool.... (I think).
Back to top Go down
bigg

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 am

No need to grind your paint off. You can tell it's aluminium just by looking at the profiles. The subframe and cradle are small tubes. Those are steel. They could never be alumium with that size/profile. Aluminium is about 1/3 the strength of steel. Thats why the main frame has such a large profile to ensure enough stiffness.



This other picture is of a WRF, you can clearly see even the main frame is made from small tubes (similar to our subframe). If that were made of alu with those profile the frame would flop around like crazy. No stiffness whatsoever. Also using aluminium does not equal lightness necessarily. A well thought out steel trellis frame (see Ducati) can have the same weight as a not so well thought out alu frame or have superior stiffness.



Anyway without blabbing on too much, moral of the story is, just looking at the profile size you can tell what material it is! thumb
Back to top Go down
zone47

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:34 pm

bigg wrote:
No need to grind your paint off. You can tell it's aluminium just by looking at the profiles. The subframe and cradle are small tubes. Those are steel. They could never be alumium with that size/profile. Aluminium is about 1/3 the strength of steel. Thats why the main frame has such a large profile to ensure enough stiffness.



This other picture is of a WRF, you can clearly see even the main frame is made from small tubes (similar to our subframe). If that were made of alu with those profile the frame would flop around like crazy. No stiffness whatsoever. Also using aluminium does not equal lightness necessarily. A well thought out steel trellis frame (see Ducati) can have the same weight as a not so well thought out alu frame or have superior stiffness.


Anyway without blabbing on too much, moral of the story is, just looking at the profile size you can tell what material it is! thumb

I always thought aluminum was stiffer than steel (less flex), especially if boxed and triangulated properly.  My original 1997 Honda CR250R got complaints that the first year of aluminum frames were too stiff and riders didn't like them.  So on the Yamaha, what threw me was the silver paint on the 08.  I thought they just painted it to look like aluminum.



What also got me is the aluminum 2008 WR250F was natural aluminum, and the entire frame was aluminum ... so I'm thinking, yeah, mine is heavy steel instead of the good stuff. dddog



Back to top Go down
bigg

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:36 pm

The rigidity/stiffness of aluminium frames is achieved because of the chosen profiles (notice they are never round but specifically designed for the load case) and the frame geometry. The material on it's own is inferior mechanically in absolute terms in most ways to steel except for the density. Young's Modulus for steel is around 210 GPa, Alu is 70 GPa. Tensile Strength Steel easily over 1000 MPa, Aluminium alloys around 400-500 Mpa. Also Aluminium has worse fatigue characteristics.


Aluminium frames are as good as they are because of clever engineering. Buy 2 identical flat profiles of steel and aluminium, you'll see the aluminium one is much lighter (density of 8 g/cm^3 compared to 2.7) but it's much easier to bend thumb
Back to top Go down
zone47

avatar


PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:32 am

bigg wrote:
The rigidity/stiffness of aluminium frames is achieved because of the chosen profiles (notice they are never round but specifically designed for the load case) and the frame geometry. The material on it's own is inferior mechanically in absolute terms in most ways to steel except for the density. Young's Modulus for steel is around 210 GPa, Alu is 70 GPa. Tensile Strength Steel easily over 1000 MPa, Aluminium alloys around 400-500 Mpa. Also Aluminium has worse fatigue characteristics.


Aluminium frames are as good as they are because of clever engineering. Buy 2 identical flat profiles of steel and aluminium, you'll see the aluminium one is much lighter (density of 8 g/cm^3 compared to 2.7) but it's much easier to bend thumb

Makes sense, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...   

Back to top Go down
 
SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» SooOo I have an 08 WR250R and I love it ...
» WR250R Riding in Australia - 5 days 2000km - pics and text
» WR250R changes through the years info, where?
» Got a new 2010 WR250R Yesterday
» WR250R Tires...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: