Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Steering Dampers

Go down 
+2
wwguy
TKO
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 2:53 am

Hi, I do a lot of riding in sandy and rocky hills and had earlier today asked if anyone tried a steering damper to stop that rapid twist of bars?

After navigating the site I found some good feedback in the sweet mods forum but comments are a little old. Anyone have recent experience and have you tried or heard of the Australian made ones?

Mods now creeping up on the bike - Force guard, fork bleeds, just fitted is a 48T sprocket giving 13/48 and yet to try it.

Other subtle mod is heavier fork oil to stop the Pogo stick action after longer jumps.

Next is exhaust, fuel management system, racks........ Will it ever be right?
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am

vintage57 wrote:
Will it ever be right?

"Right" is in the eye of the beholder . . .

I have a GPR damper on my liter bike, but have never put one on the WR.

You have me thinking now.  There were a couple of times that I left the trail after a good size rock turned my bars.  scratch
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 pm

I have a Scott's stabilizer and love it.

Back to top Go down
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptySun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 am

Thank you both. I am fairly certain the damper will help with maintaining direction on the sandy tracks and Scott's looks good but I think I will try the Australian MCS Ralle-Moto. I cannot find a good report on them for WRR250 so I might be the first. I came close to running off the track last time I was out so might be a good investment.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptySun Jul 10, 2016 12:40 pm

After poking around the web a bit the MSC Moto dampers seems like quality products.  Your biggest challenge may be finding or fabricating a mount compatible with the WR250R steering head.  (MSC doesn't seem to offer one on their web site.)

It appears that they've been used on the WR250R before though.  Check this link out.
Back to top Go down
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks wwguy. I sent a contact request to MSC and will advise their response when it is in.

BTW liked very much the single trail videos. I don't ride that hard or well. Today in Yamaha shop attendant did not recommend a damper for dirt bikes as you lose responsiveness in single track, but you had no problems see. I will go ahead with damper anyway as in five years I doubt if I will be doing the real hard stuff. Rather a wrinkly neck trail biker. So set up will be perfect with damper.

I am about to show your video to wife and tell her I ride like that. I doubt she will believe me Lol.
Back to top Go down
Gany

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyTue Jul 12, 2016 3:32 am

MSC have atrocious customer service. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

Having said that they do have a good product and local too.

They used to have a WR250R kit but it no longer seems to be manufactured.

I am considering selling mine if interested as I would like to run a Highway Dirtbikes Rally lite setup and that will not be compatible with the Ralle moto damper I have.

Let me know, I could be talked into parting with it. The kit comes with the Titan damper (moto-desert-cross country settings plus 1-9 adjustment), replacement bar submount (similar to the way Scotts run theirs), top clamp, damper pin. Good bit of gear, more adjustment than Scotts just terrible customer service. I'll even throw in a HDB top clamp to suit the bolt pattern.

Gany.
Back to top Go down
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyTue Jul 12, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks GanyI am very interested. What price are you asking? I will be in Albury at end July and we are thinking of a run to Melbourne so may be a slim chance to collect. Knowing my in-laws though the day will go to crap and I will end up stuffing my face with cake in Acland Street, so mailing is probably the answer and happy to pay for that as well.

You are right on MSC customer service - two emails and no response plus their site does not work that well. Not a good advert for international interest.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Gany

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 11:51 pm

MSC seem great on the phone, just useless electronically and also following up on what they say they will do on the phone.

Pickup or postage is an option if you do pass through Melbourne.

PM sent to open the discussion about price.
Back to top Go down
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks Gany please see separate email.

Cheers and thanks for the notes and advice.
Back to top Go down
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 2:17 am

I purchased Scotts. Why buy something with very little reviews, etc.? Go with what many many riders have and works. I believe it has saved me several times since I bought it this year. Otherwise I probably would have fell in the rough stuff.

Steering Dampers BCB62412-5656-48F9-810C-55E6BEEC263B_zpsw0cy1udf
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyFri Jul 29, 2016 9:06 am

My GPR works very well. Had a Scott on my F800GS that also worked well.
Back to top Go down
vintage57

vintage57

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks gents appreciate the feedback
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering Dampers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Dampers   Steering Dampers Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering Dampers
Page 1 of 1