Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kevinmcc2

Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! Empty
PostSubject: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptySat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Opinions on this noise? Bought this bike knowing it had something severely wrong with it, but could not pass up the deal.

I suspect this is a crank bearing noise, but looking for other opinions.

I have checked the valves, and the manual timing chain tensioner with no change. I drained the oil and there was some metal, but not a whole lot and barely any on the filter. The person I bought it off of said he parked it right after the noise started.

It has around 30k miles on it.

https://youtu. be/60GJ6eaWTsI

Delete the space between the . and b. I am new here and cannot post links for 7 days!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptySun May 12, 2019 4:47 am

Heres the link for the next guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60GJ6eaWTsI&feature=youtu.be

Id start tearing the engine apart.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyMon May 13, 2019 1:35 am

I can't hear anything obviously wrong. Maybe a bit of extra noise from the manual cam chain tensioner?

Try removing the bash plate in order to eliminate any resonances from it.
Back to top Go down
kevinmcc2

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyMon May 13, 2019 6:20 am

It sounds a lot more pronounced in person, I have removed the skid plate and adjusted the cam chain tensioner with no change. Gonna start ripping the engine apart soon.

Next question tho, it has good compression and doesnt smoke, whats the general consensus when it comes to the top end since I will be tearing into the engine. New piston/rings and new valves, etc?
Back to top Go down
kevinmcc2

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyMon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Update, confirmed it is the crank, has up and down play.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyTue May 14, 2019 3:46 am

If you can actually feel a play in the crank, then the damage is significant enough to make repairs a losing game. If I were in your place I would be looking for a good condition used engine.
Back to top Go down
kevinmcc2

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyTue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

Just bought a good used bottom end last night. Gonna use that bottom and part out my old bottom. Cases, tranny, clutch basket, etc.

Now I just gotta go figure out what I want to do with the top end.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! EmptyWed May 15, 2019 4:31 am

Given that the damage was sudden, the metal fragments generated make the entire engine (bottom and top) suspect and not worth preserving. I would get a new (used) top for peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!   Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise! Empty

Back to top Go down

Crank Going Out? Help diagnose this noise!
Page 1 of 1