Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rear Shock Preload Adjuster

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Epee

Epee

Rear Shock Preload Adjuster Empty
PostSubject: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 am

Does anyone know of a shock spring preload adjuster for the WR250?  I'm looking for one that will make it easy to change preload without dealing with the stock lock rings.  That could be a hydraulic adjuster, or one that has screw mechanism that's easy to adjust with socket.

I use my WRR as an adventure bike, so the weight I carry varies considerably with luggage.  Fooling around with the lock rings, especially on a trip where I'm not likely to carry a hammer/punch/shock ring wrench, is a pain.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 pm

I've never heard of anyone making a shock preload adjuster for the WRR.

Hyperpro used to make a complete shock for the WRR that could be ordered with a hydraulic adjuster, but it was rather expensive (about $1,000).

Ohlins could also custom make one, but that was even more expensive.

FWIW, I also use my WRR as an adventure bike, but I never find the need to adjust preload; I always set it for what really matters, the off-road portion where I don't carry any luggage.
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 11:16 am

johnkol wrote:

Hyperpro used to make a complete shock for the WRR that could be ordered with a hydraulic adjuster, but it was rather expensive (about $1,000).

FWIW, I also use my WRR as an adventure bike, but I never find the need to adjust preload; I always set it for what really matters, the off-road portion where I don't carry any luggage.

50 lbs. of luggage directly over rear wheel changes sag pretty significantly, so it would be nice if one could adjust easily.

I just had my rear shock rebuilt by Go Race, so don't want to replace the shock.  BTW: You can still get Hyperpro shocks from EPM (https://epmperf.com/).  Their preload adjuster adds $229 to the shock price.  The Ohlins preload adjuster works well (I have one on a road bike), but their springs are different dimensions than the Eibach spring I have on my WRR.

I contacted the Xtrig importer in US (https://technicaltouchusa.com/) and they said their records show that the shock body for the WR250R matches the YZ450F, which they have  an adjuster for (https://technicaltouchusa.com/500010200501.html).  This MIGHT work, as there may be accessibility issues.  I ordered one and will report back on whether it fits the WRR asap.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm

50 pounds is a lot of weight!

Would be interesting to see whether the Xtrig works on the WRR.
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 3:30 pm

johnkol wrote:
50 pounds is a lot of weight!

I regularly ride weeks at a time on various off-road adventures (TAT, BDR's, CDR, PDR, etc.) with pretty wide ranging weather conditions.  I also often ride solo, so there's limited ability to share tools, spares, etc..  Yes, it's a lot of weight!  It's not uncommon for me to spend a few days in an area (e.g., Moab) to ride without all the baggage; hence my interest in the preload adjuster.

I'll post my experience with the Xtrig in the next week or 2.
Back to top Go down
Epee

Epee

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 am

Epee wrote:
I'll post my experience with the Xtrig in the next week or 2.

Unfortunately, the Xtrig preload adjuster for the Yamaha YZ450F (#500010200501) does not fit the 2020 WRR rear shock.  

Technical Touch USA (the Xtrig importer) said they did not have another model that would work with the WRR shock.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Epee wrote:
Unfortunately, the Xtrig preload adjuster for the Yamaha YZ450F (#500010200501) does not fit the 2020 WRR rear shock.  

Technical Touch USA (the Xtrig importer) said they did not have another model that would work with the WRR shock.

Not a surprising result given that the shock in the WRR is made by a different manufacturer (Soqi) than the one in the YZ/WR line (KYB).
Back to top Go down
Jredford

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Epee wrote:
johnkol wrote:

50 lbs. of luggage directly over rear wheel changes sag pretty significantly, so it would be nice if one could adjust easily.

I just had my rear shock rebuilt by Go Race, so don't want to replace the shock.  BTW: You can still get Hyperpro shocks from EPM (https://epmperf.com/).  Their preload adjuster adds $229 to the shock price.  The Ohlins preload adjuster works well (I have one on a road bike), but their springs are different dimensions than the Eibach spring I have on my WRR.

I contacted the Xtrig importer in US (https://technicaltouchusa.com/) and they said their records show that the shock body for the WR250R matches the YZ450F, which they have  an adjuster for (https://technicaltouchusa.com/500010200501.html).  This MIGHT work, as there may be accessibility issues.  I ordered one and will report back on whether it fits the WRR asap.

50 lbs will require a different spring, not an adjuster.

AntG1551 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Preload Adjuster   Rear Shock Preload Adjuster Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Shock Preload Adjuster
Page 1 of 1