Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF Heat Shield Ideas?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Mags

FMF Heat Shield Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyFri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Hey Gang,

Quick back story...I picked up a '11 WRR this spring in dreams of doing the James Bay Road (the little tail piece at the bottom of Hudsons Bay) and TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail). The bike came with full FMF setup + programmed, SC low seat and a couple of other things I would've done anyways, so bonus for me. My work schedule and weird knee has gotten in the way of any serious riding this summer, so I decided to sell, but haven't had any takers yet. While waiting, I have been taking it out to the shops / little scoots around town, and am actually starting to like it. Like it enough that I want to do some serious touring with it next summer. So now, finally on to the question...

With the FMF (Powercore 4 I believe) sitting where it does, it will burn any luggage that I throw over the back seat. What are the options for a heat shield for the pipe?  Store bought? Homemade? Open to all suggestions, as long as they work. I think I saw "Dryspec" has something that is 4"x9" which might work, but I want something that WILL / DOES work.

As I am still learning about this bike, I'm sure I will have questions that will be posted in other subs...
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm

I am using the Mosko Moto heat shield and it works fine; the Giant Loop one works too, and I'm sure other heat shields using the same concept will work equally fine.

Mark Mags likes this post

Back to top Go down
jbellyOH

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2021 1:39 pm

I use two of the wolfman Kiowa IIs lined up end-to-end. lots of coverage

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/kiowa-heat-shield
Back to top Go down
Mark Mags

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 7:50 am

Thanks guys. I really would like to use the Dryspec shield as it's 9" long. But looking at it closer, it seems that it is held on by a single band, right in the middle, which is where my FMF connects to bike. If Mosko ever gets a new shipment of luggage back in, I just might go with their shield and double it up.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 11:15 pm

I can't quite follow you here. All heat shields that I am aware of are held on by a single hose clamp, and that's true of the Mosko one too. Whether you need one or two heat shields will depend on the specific luggage you have; for my Wolfman saddlebags I only need one, but for the DrySpec bags I need two to essentially cover the entire FMF canister.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mags

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 am

Yes John, all the ones I have seen are held by a single gear clamp. However, the DS is 9" long, putting the clamp right at the mounting point of the FMF exhaust. Whereas the MM shields are shorter, allowing the user to clamp them fore and aft of the exhaust mounting point.FMF Heat Shield Ideas? Img_2011

So although the DS has greater single coverage, from my math, I would be unable to actually use it with my application.
Back to top Go down
Mark Mags

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 4:16 pm

So I ended up buy the Mosko Moto Rackless system. Because I already had some of their gear for another bike, and because I asked nicely (???) I was able to swap out some luggage parts and added a second heat shield. I haven't been able to try it out yet, as we are still in winter mode, but it "looks" like it should do the job to protect the bags.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF Heat Shield Ideas?   FMF Heat Shield Ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF Heat Shield Ideas?
Page 1 of 1