Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Blown Fork Seal?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dmulk

Blown Fork Seal? Empty
PostSubject: Blown Fork Seal?   Blown Fork Seal? EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi all,

Went for a 3 day ride in the AZ desert and when I got home I noticed a bit of dust buildup on the right fork leg. It's where the two halves meet.

It's not a lot. Very little dust, no oil running freely or anything.... Anyone else have this issue?

This was the first real ride on the bike since it was purchased and I think it sat for a really long time. (about 4K miles).

I'm guessing a fork seal, but I don't want to go through the rebuild if it's a known issue.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Blown Fork Seal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Fork Seal?   Blown Fork Seal? EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Can you or can you not see any remnants of actual oil?
Back to top Go down
dmulk

Blown Fork Seal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Fork Seal?   Blown Fork Seal? EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 pm

No oil remnants....if there is oil in the dust, it so minute that it's not greasy anymore... it's dust....but completely surrounds the top band of where the two fork tube meets.

It's almost as if it "sweated" for a second and then stopped. Just a thin band of dust...

I pounded the heck out of the forks on a couple whoops, so it's possible I bottomed a few times.

I'll try to shoot some pictures over the next couple days...see if you guys can spot anything.
Back to top Go down
dmulk

Blown Fork Seal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Fork Seal?   Blown Fork Seal? EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Well... this is strange.

I stopped by the Yam shop and spoke to one of the techs about this and he mentioned that he seemed to think that the only way oil could leak where I was describing it was if the fork tube has a crack in it.

Let me explain: The band of dust I observed was on the upper half of the fork tube, but on the upper most ring where the two halves meet.

The bike is still at a friend's house so I can shoot pics yet, but I'll post some when I can.

At any rate, has anyone seen this yet?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blown Fork Seal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blown Fork Seal?   Blown Fork Seal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Blown Fork Seal?
Page 1 of 1