Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Rack Options

Go down 
+16
DREAMRR
Mr. Fisherman
Tom-AMS
dirtnadvil
ed29
Chrispy1200
router.exe
GsVs
eakins
skierd
Machtig
WRoldman
thumper_tx
Pancho
superbee24
greer
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
greer

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 am

Ron (thumper_tx) has a buddy with a CNC machine and he's turned out some racks for the WRR. Ron says he's not the best with the computer so I offered to post up the pictures. Stay tuned and Ron will be along directly to provide the details and contact info. Wait til you see the prices, remember the days of the EB racks? When we get it all together we'll post over in Vendors. Hope we're not breaking any rules in the meantime. I have no affiliation other than picture posting. Thanks everybody.

Sarah

[img:a59e]https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/New Rack Options TXWRrack2[/img][img:f4d0]https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/New Rack Options TXWRrack3[/img]
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 8:33 am

n I Ce ! New Rack Options 61865
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 8:54 am

my vote for the second picture!
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 am

I have the 2nd rack on my bike now. It was a hard decision which one to install.
These racks are for sale for $89 plus shipping. Will be shipped In the mail to reduce costs.
Tom is working on some other parts as well using my bike as the Guinea pig.

The material is a hard tempered aluminum plate. You can have them anodized if you like but it is totally unnecessary and increases the cost and time.
Will post the new parts as soon as possible. New design and fitting is a time consuming process.

You can contact Tom at ams99atautomotivemachine.com
These racks are not on his website just yet as his primary business is vehicle parts.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I will try to provide reliable info.

Ron in Smithville TX.

Last edited by thumper_tx on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 12:00 pm

These are sweet!
Back to top Go down
Machtig

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I want the second one. Is he ready to sell now?
Back to top Go down
skierd

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Just a suggestion, don't use machine screws for the hardware. Countersunk allen bolts or hex head, unless you like stripping bolts.

Other than that, nice rack! The first looks a lot like the flatlands.
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 8:05 pm

skierd wrote:
Just a suggestion, don't use machine screws for the hardware. Countersunk allen bolts or hex head, unless you like stripping bolts.

Other than that, nice rack! The first looks a lot like the flatlands.

I stuck the machine screws on the rack to take the pictures and check fitment. They have been replaced by stainless tapered marine bolts.
Tom includes the spacers to go under the fenders also. Screws depend on what taillight arrangement you have so you may have to obtain your for your application.

Yes these are for sale now.

Ron
Back to top Go down
eakins

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 8:24 pm

are the edges rounded on strap holes so you are not cutting into straps?
it looks like those holes are cncd with no finishing work.

the shape is good. all those machined patterns are nice but most just need solid mounting openings along all the edges that allow a variety of straps/buckles to pass through. these opens must be completely strap friendly or the rack is useless.

look at a promoto billet rack and you'll find no sharp edges anywhere along with plenty of flat-surface strap/loop surfaces all along the edge & real close to it.
http://www.kinoya.com/images/KinoyaShop/Shouhin/PromotoBillet/RackItCargoRack/WR250RX.jpg

how far up does the rack sit? it looks like it has too short of fender spacers to get enough lift from the fender plastic. remember all those front strap points (closests to the seat) are utilized when people use giant loop bags (which is alot of people). those 2 center strap holes do not look like it would be easy to pass a strap through.

what about tapped holes to mount a rotopax gas can mount?
maybe in in different locations (3 atleast) to accomadate different size cans used and packing needs.
that would be unique to the market.
http://www.rotopax.com/

your friend has some better strap mount point designing to do, but he is real close, but not production ready imo.
Back to top Go down
eakins

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 10:56 pm

i'm cross posting about another gent w/ a rack
the more the competition, the better the designs.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=691
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 pm

eakins wrote:
are the edges rounded on strap holes so you are not cutting into straps?
it looks like those holes are cncd with no finishing work.

the shape is good. all those machined patterns are nice but most just need solid mounting openings along all the edges that allow a variety of straps/buckles to pass through. these opens must be completely strap friendly or the rack is useless.

look at a promoto billet rack and you'll find no sharp edges anywhere along with plenty of flat-surface strap/loop surfaces all along the edge & real close to it.
http://www.kinoya.com/images/KinoyaShop/Shouhin/PromotoBillet/RackItCargoRack/WR250RX.jpg

how far up does the rack sit? it looks like it has too short of fender spacers to get enough lift from the fender plastic. remember all those front strap points (closests to the seat) are utilized when people use giant loop bags (which is alot of people). those 2 center strap holes do not look like it would be easy to pass a strap through.

what about tapped holes to mount a rotopax gas can mount?
maybe in in different locations (3 atleast) to accomadate different size cans used and packing needs.
that would be unique to the market.
http://www.rotopax.com/

your friend has some better strap mount point designing to do, but he is real close, but not production ready imo.

New Rack Options Moz-screenshot
To address some concerns:
Edges are chamfered approx .020" wide x 45*, so
they will not "eat" thru a strap ...however its easy to make a wider
45* chamfer, or even rounded.

Hole shape and location can be customized to suit user if
deside, even the entire contour can easily be changed to suit. I
agree a series of "slots" along all edges, about 8mm from the edge, and
about 10mm wide would make strapping down a load easier. then place some
larger patterned holes inboard of the slots to lighten the rack, and
give it a better "look" than just a slab of aluminum :-)

I can even custom engrave the racks with names, jpg
images, logos (with permission), etc

Tapping holes for mounts is very doable too - just need to
know pattern/location desired.

Rack mount holes' location fore / aft can be shifted
easily - just say how much :-)

also spacer ht can easily be raised - again, just say
how much.

be sure to THANK all these folks for their input - or
better yet, copy and past this into your post. :-)

I appreciate their comments, and if there is anything else
folks want made, let them know I'll be glad to work with them.

Tom - AMS www.automotivemachine.com/mshop.htm
- Show quoted text -
Back to top Go down
GsVs

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 5:43 pm

thumper_tx wrote:

I appreciate their comments, and if there is anything else
folks want made, let them know I'll be glad to work with them.

Tom - AMS www.automotivemachine.com/mshop.htm
- Show quoted text -
You should make one that is wider ... similar to the biguns original
design ... to better support the tail bags ... (picture borrowed from Nice Rumble)

New Rack Options 490706894_2xwXq-L
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:54 pm

He will make any kind you want. The bolt pattern is the same.
Just contact him and tell him what ya want. So simple.
Real easy going and will accommodate whatever..............
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 am

is there going to be a group buy on this? i'd like the one as in hte second pic with rotopax holes.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm interested in design #2 with a few more pockets milled in to reduce weight as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I would really like to get one of these with a couple of customizations. I sent an email to Tom at the address in post 4 with some questions. I hope it went through, nothing bounced back.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:14 pm

ed29 wrote:
I would really like to get one of these with a couple of customizations. I sent an email to Tom at the address in post 4 with some questions. I hope it went through, nothing bounced back.

if that doesn't, the contact us web form does work that is on the website.
Back to top Go down
eakins

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 1:27 pm

new rack images on adv
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12125667#post12125667
New Rack Options 1abaa99d
Back to top Go down
dirtnadvil

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm

What is the latest with the rack.....
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm

dirtnadvil wrote:
What is the latest with the rack.....

I'm going to order a ProMoto Billet next week unless there is some news here.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm

mine shipped out today. should be in my hands monday.
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: In hand, waiting for bolts.   New Rack Options EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:21 pm

I have my rack in hand, the 80mm bolts I need to mount it to my WR will be in on Monday. I had the rack widened and holes placed to I can mount the mushrooms and pyramid to mount a Givi Monokey case. I will need watertight, lockable storage to carry a computer when I commute on my WR.

New Rack Options IMG_0559

The mushrooms....

New Rack Options IMG_0556

Here it is snapped to the bottom of a case...

New Rack Options IMG_0560

Monday, when I get the bolts in I will drill the fender and mount this up, pictures to follow.
Back to top Go down
eakins

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

i like that. i like the shape & size of the cutouts used.
if this same design could also get 2 sets of rotopax (rearwards of the mount bolts and in 2 positions) mount holes this could be the ultimate in flexable use rear wrr rack. the extra width is not a bad thing as the rack does not need to follow the exact shape of the rear fender, yet this is not a big square like the original biguns one. i like a slightly bigger rack anyway because it's all about carrying something and the extra material to make it larger is weight minimal

this rack would work as:
-plain rack for a rear bag
-rotopax mount rack w/ 2 positions for adv tourers
-givi mount rack for commuters etc.

to the OP, i'd say add those rotopax mounts, produce it, include all the mount hardware and start selling em.
you can offer black powder coating for extra.

post up a pic when you have it mounted

ed29 wrote:
I have my rack in hand, the 80mm bolts I need to mount it to my WR will be in on Monday. I had the rack widened and holes placed to I can mount the mushrooms and pyramid to mount a Givi Monokey case. I will need watertight, lockable storage to carry a computer when I commute on my WR.

New Rack Options IMG_0559

The mushrooms....

New Rack Options IMG_0556

Here it is snapped to the bottom of a case...

New Rack Options IMG_0560

Monday, when I get the bolts in I will drill the fender and mount this up, pictures to follow.

Last edited by eakins on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GsVs

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: ed29's rack - Fits the need   New Rack Options EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I agree with elkins ....

ed29's rack that Tom made ..... fits the need and looks great New Rack Options 525406

looking forward to your pictures showing it mounted on your WR
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 am

elkins, GsVs - thank you for the kind words... and for your suggestions to add the rotopax mount holes. would y'all have the rotopax mounting pattern/dimensions or be able to point me to a site where I can find them? While I'm an old "gray beard" at machining motorcycle parts, and working with CNC machines, I'm a little new to the Yamaha WR - working mostly with a friend's bike via email - scaling dimensions and designing from looking at pictures - so I really appreciate any help or suggestion folks here offer.
Ride safe,
Tom-AMS
www.automotivemachine.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Rack Options Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options Empty

Back to top Go down

New Rack Options
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next