Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Rack Options

Go down 
+16
DREAMRR
Mr. Fisherman
Tom-AMS
dirtnadvil
ed29
Chrispy1200
router.exe
GsVs
eakins
skierd
Machtig
WRoldman
thumper_tx
Pancho
superbee24
greer
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

New Rack Options - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 6:41 am

I need a rack and am shopping. Like the idea of the additional holes for the fuel cell mount.

How much and when are they available?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 6:54 am

Take a look at the first post by thumper_tx on page 1.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
DREAMRR

PostSubject: Bet you could make sumpin like this as well....?   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 am

New Rack Options - Page 2 Moz-screenshot-12New Rack Options - Page 2 Moz-screenshot-13New Rack Options - Page 2 Moz-screenshot-14This is Highfive's custom Rotopax rack I think....? How cool is this?

Hope I'm not violatin anything by the awesome Highfiver!

New Rack Options - Page 2 554090275_HPtcp-L
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 am

Is the RotoPax mount the same as the old Kolpin? They sure do look like it. I have a Kolpin that I can bring over to Tom this week to measure and layout holes if it is the same. Four threaded hole in the right place would allow installation and removal of the gas can mount with the rack in place.
Back to top Go down
DREAMRR

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Sorry, Not Highfive, but member Emerson.Biguns was the guy who [owns] this rack and seemingly had it fabed up custom.....

Really nice piece a work and it works with Wolfman bags as well he sez!

I would think these could be a hot item and perhaps group buy if the $ was right!

Seems like a perfect project for the rack guy above!

Maybe a righty and lefty....?

Hope I'm not invaded ya Biguns!!!!

drr
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 pm

EB did an incredible job with his rack. I'd go for a mount myself, but he's not making them anymore, so I'm going to try to find a way myself...customs is nuts with charges and stuff.

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Thumper-_tx !

Would your man have an interest in this ?

drr
Back to top Go down
thumper_tx

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes he would. That would be a cake walk for him. All he needs is measurements for what you want. Once one is ready the others can be whipped out quickly.
If it is metal he can make it. He has several other things in design phase for the R.
My bike is the guinea pig and everything has been first class before it is released.
New stuff will be posted here as it is ready.

Ron
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Looks like I am not going to be able to wait for this rack so....

recomendations on where I can get a good one (preferably black) that a Wolfman Peak tail bag will fit on nicely? Best price and vendor discount?

Thanks in advance...
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Since the CNC G-code is now written and tested, either style rack can be made to order and ready to shipped within 1 to 3 days max, with most being ready by the end of the next day ... its first come first served, so instead of waiting, place your order now New Rack Options - Page 2 61865

Tom - AMS
www.automotivemachine.com/moto.htm
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:51 am

I got back from Tom's a short while ago. The changes made include eliminating the triangle hole near the pyramid and leaving more material around those mounting holes. The new rack was mounted and run home with a Givi 45 liter case attached. This is going to work out great. I learned today that my Kolpin mount does differ from the Rotopax, so we did not do a hole layout. I didn't even bring the Kolpin with me.
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 am

ED29 came by my cave this evening so we could make another rack and refine it somewhat. He'll have pics to post soon.

More importantly we discovered the original factory tool box brackets welded on the frame vary from year to year. The AMS Tool Tube upper bracket will not fit Ed's bike because his bike's frame is missing part of a tab w/hole used to mount the bracket. The AMS Tool Tube bracket was designed using thumper_tx bike, which has this extra tab / hole. I'm trying to identify which yr models have the extra hole, and which do not. If you look at the pic thumper posted, the hole /frame tab in question is a 5mm hole where the top bolt for the Tool tube bracket mounts to the frame....maybe folks could take a look at their bike's frame, and post their year model with "yes" if the hole is there, and "no" if it's not there. I am designing a different bracket for those without the second upper mounting tab/hole. please stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am

Mine's an 09, and has all kinds of holes.

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_1268

ed29

PostSubject: Installed pictures!   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Here is the completed rack, ready to go on the bike!

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0583

If you look close you can see the extra material around the pyramid screws. This was needed due to my botching of the measurements in the layout. I can't thank Tom enough for accommodating my mistake and correcting it. Thanks man!

Installed!

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0584

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0585

I really like the profile of this rack.

Here it is in commuter mode with a case that is probably too big for the bike, but holds what I need for work.

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0587

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0588

Here it is in camping mode with a 55 liter dry bag long ways and cross ways.

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0589

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0590

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0591

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0592

There is no issue regarding clearance on the front holes for feeding straps by the way.

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_0593

Can I say again how much I like the end result and thanks Tom for the very good work.

I am glad that I can hang out with you in that well appointed cave too.
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Nice ..   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey Ed ...

It looks great New Rack Options - Page 2 61865 ... I will be in touch with Tom ...

Thanks for posting the pictures ...

Larry
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Tool Box bracket pics   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Tom-AMS wrote:
ED29 came by my cave this evening so we could make another rack and refine it somewhat. He'll have pics to post soon.

More importantly we discovered the original factory tool box brackets welded on the frame vary from year to year. The AMS Tool Tube upper bracket will not fit Ed's bike because his bike's frame is missing part of a tab w/hole used to mount the bracket. The AMS Tool Tube bracket was designed using thumper_tx bike, which has this extra tab / hole. I'm trying to identify which yr models have the extra hole, and which do not. If you look at the pic thumper posted, the hole /frame tab in question is a 5mm hole where the top bolt for the Tool tube bracket mounts to the frame....maybe folks could take a look at their bike's frame, and post their year model with "yes" if the hole is there, and "no" if it's not there. I am designing a different bracket for those without the second upper mounting tab/hole. please stay tuned.

Hey Tom ...
Here's a couple pictures of mine ... it's a 2008 with a build date of 2/08 ....
[img]New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_1321Crop[/img]
---
New Rack Options - Page 2 IMG_1319Crop

Last edited by GsVs on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Soooooooo, what is the top secret price that these are going for, or did I miss that somewhere? New Rack Options - Page 2 911463

Thanks !
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:12 pm

SheWolf, the tab on the far right in your pic, the one with a 5mm hole, and the little "rubber-jobbie", that's the one that's missing on ed29's bike. ... looks like the current AMS Tool Tube Kit will fit '09 and later models ...still working on a different kit for '08 earlier bikes. Thanks a bunch for posting!!!
Tom-AMS
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm

GsVs - your 08 frame is exactly like ed29's ..it's missing the extra tab with 5mm hiole...so our current tool tube kit won't work on your bike. ...I'm working on another bracket, one that will fit both style frames. If I can get ed29 ti bring his scooter back over here again so i can 'experiement' on it ,,hopefully we'll have it ready soo. The main concern tho, is ed29 may not wanna come back over here for a while- we put him to work last time and kept him busy until way pat dark...he left here pretty worn out, tired, and hungry. Thanks for your info and pic.
Tom-AMS
Back to top Go down
Tom-AMS

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 pm

superbee, secret info can be found here: www.automotivemachine.com/moto.htm New Rack Options - Page 2 93746

thanks - Tom
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:33 pm

superbee24 wrote:
Soooooooo, what is the top secret price that these are going for, or did I miss that somewhere? New Rack Options - Page 2 911463

Thanks !

Tom beat me to it on the price question.

Tom, I had fun doing what little work I did do. I would be happy to ride out again and we can test fit parts and make jig patterns, or whatever. The box started earning its keep this afternoon, did a grocery store run on the little bike.
Back to top Go down
simmons1

simmons1

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Rack looks great mounted Ed. Wished I didn't already have the Yamaha rack.
Back to top Go down
oldbaldsob

PostSubject: IMMX Racing rack?   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Anybody have any experience with the IMMX rack? Here it is. I went ahead and took the plunge and purchased this from their eBay ad so I'll post up my expereinces. thumb

Russ
Back to top Go down
oldbaldsob

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:18 pm

oldbaldsob wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the IMMX rack? Here it is. I went ahead and took the plunge and purchased this from their eBay ad so I'll post up my expereinces. thumb

Russ

Just installed it. Here are a couple of pics:

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMAG0126

New Rack Options - Page 2 IMAG0125

The IMMIX rack was shipped very fast and it was pretty easy to install using the YouTube video. I simply watched the video on my phone while installing the rack since no written instructions were included. But it is pretty straightforward and the video is helpful. I would highly recommend this rack. No weight capacities are listed but it seems robust enough to handle all the gear you can pack on it.
Back to top Go down
viroid

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I purchased a large rack from Tom @ AMS a few months after I got my WRR (new) back in 2010; I've put over 20k miles on the bike and taken a few spills, once while descending a mountain the tail end came completely over smashing the rack against a rock, it hit with enough force to slice completely though the 1" strap I was using to tie a pack to the rack. Left a minor ding in the rack and bent the whole tail-end of the bike about 2 degrees left of center, but there was no deformation of the rack itself, it held up like a champ!

I've been completely satisfied with my purchase, great product, excellent quality. I would highly recommend this rack to anyone.

New Rack Options - Page 2 20100711

New Rack Options - Page 2 20100716

New Rack Options - Page 2 20100715

New Rack Options - Page 2 20100717

... These pictures were taken the day I installed the rack, my poor WRR isn't as pretty anymore, oh well.

...v
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rack Options   New Rack Options - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Rack Options
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2