Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BPG

BPG

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag Empty
PostSubject: Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I really like the Wolfman Explorer tankbag - rugged, well-designed, and imminently useful on the bike. However, the little scrap of fabric they pass off as a map holder is confoundingly small... Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag Icon_scratch

It's tiny dimensions (7 3/4" X 4 1/4") are such that a regular 8 1/2 X 11" sheet of paper can't be simply folded in half and placed in the holder. Instead, you need to fold it into uneven "thirds", then tuck the bottom an inch or so up, then try to cram the whole thing into the holder without tearing or wrinkling it too bad. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 9356 Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 9356
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 062

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 064

So I decided to dust off ol' semi-faithful - a pre-WWII relic of a Singer I'd snagged at a garage sale about a decade ago for repairing camping gear. I found some 1000-denier waterproof Cordura fabric on ebay - got 5 entire yards for a helluva steal. Also found some thick clear vinyl for the top at a local fabric shop - this is actually a bit thicker than the top on the original holder. Also picked up some Velcro and some heavy black ribbon for the edges.

Then, I sat down and summoned the weak knowledge base of my 7th grade home-ec class Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 29721 , fiddled with the Singer for about 2 hours while hurling oaths & breaking needles Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 490865 , had to call dear old Mom twice for advice, eventually got pissed enough to call about acquiring a much newer machine on Craigslist (it was already sold) Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 810411 , and then, magically, she started working beautifully. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 500735
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 020

Finished product:
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 022

Now I can easily slide a folded 8 1/2" X 11" paper in:
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 068

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 067

But wait - there's more!! Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 810411
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 073

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 072

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 074

Flip it over and voila' - easy to fit a full, unfolded chunk o' paper in there! Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 61865
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 083

It can also be rotated between "landscape" and "portrait" mode:
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 082

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 086

Kinda big for dirt duty, but just the ticket for road riding. When you get to the dirt, just flip and fold for the smaller format
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 084

How it attaches in "full size mode":
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 087

and attaching it in "1/2 size/folded mode":
Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 077

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 071
Anyway, that's it - wish the original had come like this for the $80 spent, but at least I have something more usable now. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 61865
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I just read that over on ADV! Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 61865 Kudos to the job well done! It doesn't look half bad either, you know. You did a great job on that! That cordura is nasty expensive to get otherwise. I know here it's like $30/yard on a deal. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 640571

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I just read that over on ADV! Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 61865 Kudos to the job well done! It doesn't look half bad either, you know. You did a great job on that! That cordura is nasty expensive to get otherwise. I know here it's like $30/yard on a deal. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 640571
Got a 5-yd bolt for about $35 shipped. Ought to last me a lifetime as much as I'd use it (notice there were no close-ups of the drunken stitching... The part where I sewed my thumb to the fabric was kinda nasty, but most the blood cleaned up fine! Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 93746
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah...your typical household sewing machines don't fare well sewing industrial style stuff. I did see the stitching in the one (having worked in an upholstery shop you can catch those small minute details), but you know, you did an awesome job. Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 61865

PostSubject: Market ...   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey BPG ....
Looks great Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag 525406 .... you could sell some of those !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag   Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag Empty

Back to top Go down

Larger map holder for Wolfman Explorer tankbag
Page 1 of 1