Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

brake light problem

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
jacque372
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jacque372

jacque372

brake light problem Empty
PostSubject: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 6:56 pm

i was just looking at my bike and saw that my tail light works but the doesn't get brighter when i hit the brakes. this is the stock tail light no mods stock turn signals. the turn signals work the tail light is on does not work with front or rear brake. i ride every day and my bike does get alot of road salt on it any ideas let me know asap

Last edited by jacque372 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 pm

First thing I'd do is check the entire wiring system of your brakes for any corrosion from that salt. That stuff is nasty on wiring. It seems they're using a much stronger formula this time around on the roads than they used to. brake light problem 640571

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Assuming you tried front and rear brakes to rule out a switch?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Are you sure the brake light isn't staying on all the time?
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 pm

yeah to dim for it to be on. i can't figure it out i have checked the connections they were clean any other ideas thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Sorry I don't have time right now but.... I posted awhile back about the taillight wires being rubbed on. Later tonight I will find the thread/pic. Maybe??
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Couldn't find the post, but heres a picture of the problem. I'd suggest pulling the connection by the seat and testing whether the problem is fore or aft. If it's taillight end, it should then be easy to find the problem.

brake light problem Image001-7
*just realized how crappy the pic is. It's underneath the taillight assembly.
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:58 pm

thanks inspector that is a big help i am going to go thru the bike tonight the brake light is not stuck on i compared it to the x today if thats not it i'll just start switching parts till i find whats up
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 pm

When you said no mods, does that include a speedo healer? I found out that the connection for the speedo is the same as the brake light connector and hooked up to the wrong connector the first time I installed it. Once I figured that out and changed to the right connector, all was well.

Herkypilot
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm

the only electrical mod i have is the efi controller no speedo healer
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 am

inspector thanks for the help that is just where the trouble was the taillight mounting bracket rubbed thru the braided cover and that is where the short was but in the line where the damage happened there are two bumps in the wire are these resistors i can't get current past this
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Shoot man, I really can't remember what was in there. I"m getting ready to go out for a ride now, I can take it all apart later if you need a benchmark or something.

*I think anybody that hasn't done any mods to the tail light should really take a look at this. It's a design flaw and if they don't fix it now.......
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm

no big deal i just ordered the edge tail light i was going to do it anyway. thanks for all the help everybody.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Good to hear.....I think. Too bad it wasn't an easy fix.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking mine.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 am

installed the edge taillight last night now have a working tail light again i'm going to cut the wire on the stock one to see if those are resistors in the line where it rubbed thanks for everyones help

Last edited by jacque372 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 am

Mine was worn through too, but no damage to the wires yet. You headed off a problem for me, thanks again.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Curious to what you did. I just ground down the plastic a little and re-wrapped it. Need to get back in there and see how it's doing.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm

I just snipped the tie on the right (toolbox side) I left the other tie alone since it seems to be holding firmly and the wires aren't being pinched.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: brake light problem   brake light problem Empty

Back to top Go down

brake light problem
Page 1 of 1