Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Blackout on the cheap

Go down 
+3
SheWolf
Machtig
Fanatic
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fanatic

Fanatic

Blackout on the cheap Empty
PostSubject: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

I started this by wanting the X fork guards so they wouldnt rub like the R's do. Then I thought how much I like the black forks,so I started weighing my options. Powder coat or anodize? I priced both, then thought...holy crap! Too much dough for cosmetic surgery. Then I found black vinyl graphic sheets. I gave it a try and here are the results. Total cost, $30 for the guards and $16 for the graphics. Tell me what you think.

Blackout on the cheap 008-3

Blackout on the cheap 011-2
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 12:56 am

Fanatic wrote:
I started this by wanting the X fork guards so they wouldnt rub like the R's do. Then I thought how much I like the black forks,so I started weighing my options. Powder coat or anodize? I priced both, then thought...holy crap! Too much dough for cosmetic surgery. Then I found black vinyl graphic sheets. I gave it a try and here are the results. Total cost, $30 for the guards and $16 for the graphics. Tell me what you think.
Hard to tell, your photos need work. You need to lose the flash, get better lighting, and closeups would be better. I do, however like your choice in tires--AC10s, no?
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 am

I am definatly not a photographer. Didnt really think about the photos getting critiqued. I do like the AC10s though.
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 am

Maybe Ill try some daylight shots later this week for a better view.
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am

This might be better

Blackout on the cheap 009-3
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:20 am

Fanatic wrote:
This might be better

They look black, but the devil is in the details--hence closeups and better lighting.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 am

+10 Blackout on the cheap 61865 Need closeups for more detail.

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 am

I think I would like it better they weren't glossy. Matte.
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm

I thought matte would be better too, but couldnt find any. If I do find some I'll replace it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd do the bottom of the skidplate too. Back in black... ...bottom too.

I'm groovin' on the stand myself.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 pm

First rock, that would be the end of that real fast. Blackout on the cheap Suspect

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am

the skid plate would be sweet black, but takes way to much abuse.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Fanatic wrote:
the skid plate would be sweet black, but takes way to much abuse.

Could have it powder coated then just touch it up with flat black paint as it wears.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 3:25 am

That's why I dig the composite skiddies. ...realizing of course that they aren't going to take the abuse, but I'm not racing through things I wouldn't normally choose to not bounce off of, but rather ride over or around.

Optionally I'd like to make the Lightspeed CF plate fit. I know it will with just a little imaginative engineering. ( at a $200 cost of course). Blackout on the cheap 640571

Vinyl on the forks makes some sense. You can always replace it and it may help deflect a mild impact and preclude an inside diameter fork dent - Maybe.

The black radiator guard and CF frame guards would complement the black schema.

Get your wallet out ! * BLING $$$ BLING $$$ *
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 am

ever seen a black rad guard? guess i'd have to buy then powder coat,paint, etc. it would look good.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:18 am

Force makes a black rad guard. Blackout on the cheap 61865

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 1:40 pm

I was going to say... Fff...

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/Page/products/FA001YA09.htm

Ignore the one, two-star review (if you pay attention to that sort of thing).

This is by-far the best aftermarket guard (of any type) I have ever put on a bike.

If I didn't have to move three bikes and a to-be-installed cabinet (IOW I'm lazy) I'd get you a picture !

Can you get the same vinyl to black out your side plates ? May provide some OEM protection for later.

She's lookin' pretty sexy bra...
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 1:55 pm

here are some other pics with better light for those who wanted them. I still suck at photography(note the camera strap).

Blackout on the cheap 014-1

Blackout on the cheap 013-1

Blackout on the cheap 012-1

Blackout on the cheap 018-1
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 pm

That looks really good.
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 5:36 pm

thanks! it was really easy to get it on with no bubbles, because the vinyl is so thick. The cool thing is, if this is if it gets thrashed, I can just replace it. I have enough left over to do it again....all for 16 bucks!
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 pm

I think the black forks look good.I like the fact that it looks different/custom......on my wrr I removed the side tank stickers ..I don;t like my bike to look like eveyone elses...if you do anything else to customize your bike,,please post more pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blackout on the cheap   Blackout on the cheap Empty

Back to top Go down

Blackout on the cheap
Page 1 of 1