Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wow... great transmission

Go down 
+9
duanew
rydnseek
inspector
mark1976
X-Racer
ve2yag
slolane
SheWolf
njbill
13 posters
AuthorMessage
njbill

njbill

Wow... great transmission Empty
PostSubject: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

I just took my first real (street) ride on my new WRR. All I can say is WOW!!! The transmission ratios on this bike are perfect. Yamaha really got it right this time. I have owned a lot of bikes, over several decades, and I cannot remember being this impressed with the ratios and spread on a bike's transmission. Add the smoothness of the engine to this gem of a transmission and we have a fantastic dual sport, especially for a 250. As I was cruising at 65 mph, I had to keep reminding myself that I was on a 250. Obviously, I have not done any mods so things can only get better.

I had planned to get knobbies on this bike and hit the dirt but I may keep the trail wings on there a little longer. The bike was that much fun on the street. Can you tell I am stoked about this bike? Wow... great transmission 525406

Wow... great transmission NewWR250R-3
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Don't take it on loose stuff with those stockers. They're slippery like shit going thru a goose. When you get REAL tires on there, then the fun will begin. Wow... great transmission 810411

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 pm

One of my ex-bikes Wow... great transmission 93746 was a DRZ400, which came with trail wings. I know the routine well.

SheWolf wrote:
Don't take it on loose stuff with those stockers. They're slippery like shit going thru a goose. When you get REAL tires on there, then the fun will begin. Wow... great transmission 810411
Back to top Go down
slolane

slolane

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Love these 250's. Looks good, glad your enjoying it!!
Back to top Go down
ve2yag

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 am

You say it....

This bike is near to be perfect... Had KLR650 before. WR250R is powerfull and smooth motor, a wonderful transmission, good suspension, stock tire is more aggressive than I think for dirt road...

Add skid plate, hand guard, tail rack and pair of MT-21 tire and this bike is perfect....
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am

I definitely agree. Not having to shift into 6th until you even get to 70MPH makes my day.

It'd give my exceptionally fast CRF450x a run for it's money (in the long runs) in the desert .

Now all I need is one set-up for myself (since she's not giving me enough time on hers).
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 7:04 pm

X-Racer wrote:
I definitely agree. Not having to shift into 6th until you even get to 70MPH makes my day.

I just returned from a 100 mile dual sport ride. The WRR 's transmission continues to impress me. On one stretch of asphalt, I looked down and saw I was doing 85 mph and I was not wringing her neck. Wow... great transmission 204616

I only have one complaint so far; the clutch action is a little heavy, especially compared to my WR250F. My middle-aged wrist is a little sore. Wow... great transmission Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
mark1976

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 8:35 am

Funny, my transmission is not the best, IMO. There are times it works perfectly, but every so often, it will refuse to shift out of 3rd. The only way to get it to go is to put a load back on the drivetrain, try again and then it will shift. I'm not overly concerned as I only have 600 miles on the WRR so I am expecting it to improve. If not, well, there is always the warranty!
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 8:48 am

mark1976 wrote:
Funny, my transmission is not the best, IMO. There are times it works perfectly, but every so often, it will refuse to shift out of 3rd. The only way to get it to go is to put a load back on the drivetrain, try again and then it will shift. I'm not overly concerned as I only have 600 miles on the WRR so I am expecting it to improve. If not, well, there is always the warranty!

Hmmm? I would hazard a guess that that is not normal. The hard part would be duplicating that at a dealer thou, cause you know they won't open it up without experiencing a problem themselves. It shouldn't matter with only 600miles but I know my gearbox will get clunky especially around neutral when i am due for an oil change.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 9:09 am

I also came from a drz, so this transmission is heavenly! I couldn't believe how the range the tranny had.. with the drz you had to choose whether you wanted some low end pull, or high end cruising.. no choice needed here, you have both!

I've tinkered with the gearing, some, but have gone back to stock. For me, it is the perfect balance. Low is plenty low for me with my mostly desert riding. High will cruise on the freeway at 80+. All this in a quarter liter dirt bike.. amazing..

I'm with inspector, Mark. Something isn't right.. adjustment, something loose or bent.. Maybe should drop by the dealer & have them take a look. Still under warranty?

+1 on stickiness with oil getting dirty. I can tell when it's getting time for a change when it's hard to push with the engine off, in gear & the clutch pulled in. It's also a little tougher getting in neutral with engine running.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 11:22 am

mark1976 wrote:

I kind of get the same thing. Most of the time it shifts heavenly, but every one in a while it does not want to downshift when coasting. It will get stuck in third gear and I will think I am in first. I go to pull out and I cannot go because I am in the wrong gear. I have learned to what it feels like when it does it and let out on the clutch a little bit and it will downshift.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Something is wrong with your transmission. Mine only has about 700 miles now and it is, and always has been, silky smooth.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:54 pm

mark1976 wrote:

Mine has been silky from new to the current 11K miles. Some other bikes I have owned did require a few thousand miles and a few oil changes to "break in". Have you changed the oil yet?

In any case, I wouldn't worry until you have some more miles and new oil.
Back to top Go down
mark1976

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyWed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

I agree - I am getting close to my first O/C and we'll see what happens. I have to say, though, that I really like the bike, perfect for dual sport.
Back to top Go down
viroid

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Based on the recommendation of a few people I know and some posts I read in the forums here, I went ahead and changed my oil pretty early on, at roughly 5-8 hrs and 200 miles I believe. It was a nasty charcoal looking mess. I'll probably change it again in the near future as I'm almost at 600 now, I'm putting on about 80 miles a day commuting.

Anyhow, the clutch and transmission on my '08 WRR is really smooth. I'd change the oil in your WRR and put a few more miles on, then if its still an issue I'd have it checked out.

...v
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Oh yeah, great post ... I mean it isn't often that someone actually comments about a transmission!!!!!

Having had 3 KLR650s, one of the most common complaints was the lack of a 6th gear with more meaningful ratios ... in this respect, Yamaha nailed it for this bikes intended riding purpose. Nicely enough, those who need a little variation can quite simply change the sprockets to fine tune their preference ... but that is just the gearing. I am also referring to the feel. It is positive, light, but also nicely confirming. It is quite forgiving, seeming to make its match under slight mistakes, where other bikes are much less tolerant. I have only mis-shifted one time in 2500 miles ... and I was wearing cowboy boots!

I will concur on the clutch lever pull effort. I have been scratching my head on this one. It isn't that its too hard, but it just doesn't feel butter smooth like I think it should. However, I have the clutch at the minimum pull, so I hardly move the lever anyway.

I have been on a lot of bikes ... this tranny is top notch, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 pm

The trany is wonderfull. I did have an issue once, during the middle of a ride, I started having trouble upshifting. The motor was getting very hot and I started thinking oh no, something bad is happening. I fought it all afternoon. Later, when I had a chance to investagate, I found the sift lever was bent from a fall. It was rubbing against the case badly. Easy fix. Now smooth agin.

Last edited by Captain Midnight on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mark1976

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 am

Time for an update - some more miles have cured this - now I would say the tranny is perfect.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm

That's not good. Needs to be looked at.
Back to top Go down
mark1976

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 3:05 pm

mark1976 wrote:

Well, I feel an update is in order. Miles have cured the above ill, now I would agree that this is a great transmission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow... great transmission   Wow... great transmission Empty

Back to top Go down

Wow... great transmission
Page 1 of 1