Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Possible output shaft issues OR?????

Go down 
+4
f3joel
Arkmage
gumbycw
Ironbrewer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironbrewer

Ironbrewer

Possible output shaft issues OR????? Empty
PostSubject: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:57 pm

I have an 08 wr250r with 16500 indicated miles, probably more like 14000 miles on it. I was commuting to work going about 60 mph when it felt like the bike went into neutral. It did not make any bizarre noises. The chain and sprockets are fine. It feels like it is shifting through the gears normally, The neutral indicator goes on where it should. The clutch seems fine. Any ideas???
Back to top Go down
gumbycw

gumbycw

PostSubject: Transmission issues   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Quote :
I have an 08 wr250r with 16500 indicated miles, probably more like 14000 miles on it. I was commuting to work going about 60 mph when it felt like the bike went into neutral. It did not make any bizarre noises. The chain and sprockets are fine. It feels like it is shifting through the gears normally, The neutral indicator goes on where it should. The clutch seems fine. Any ideas???

Sounds to me like it popped out of gear. This can occur if the shifter fork is bent, and thus not allowing the gear to fully engage. As well, the gear locks that hold the gear engaged may be damaged allowing the gear to disengage, particularly when under load. If it continues to happen you will need to have the transmission rebuilt.
Back to top Go down
Ironbrewer

Ironbrewer

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:45 am

gumbycw wrote:
Quote :

Sounds to me like it popped out of gear. This can occur if the shifter fork is bent, and thus not allowing the gear to fully engage. As well, the gear locks that hold the gear engaged may be damaged allowing the gear to disengage, particularly when under load. If it continues to happen you will need to have the transmission rebuilt.

I was going at a steady 60 mph and it happened. I could not get in any gear, but it felt like it was shifting normally, and I still can get in no gear. Would this happen without any warning?? I haven't even been doing any hard riding for the last 500 miles or so.
Back to top Go down
Ironbrewer

Ironbrewer

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:52 pm

So I pulled it apart and checked the clutch plates. The friction plates spec is 2.90-3.10 mm with a limit of 2.80. I Micced them at about 2.65 to 2.70. I changed the oil about 500 miles ago. Can a clutch just go all of a sudden. It was really weird. I had normal power one instant and none at all the next.

The springs and metal plates meet specs very well. Is there any reason to not just buy the friction plates?? Any companies that make better plates or should I go OEM??

Thanks for any replies.

I bought the bike used from a guy that rode the TAT on it. I'm thinking he used up a bit of it, because he seemed kinda like a newby. He finished the TAT and left the bike at his uncles never to ride it again.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 6:20 pm

This doesn't sound like a clutch issue. Generally a clutch will slip not just fail while cruising.

If you're chain and sprockets are fine then you've certainly got an issue. I'm trying to think of what could cause this and everything that pops into my head is unpleasant and unlikely.

I suggest putting the bike on a work stand and seeing if you can turn the motor over in 6th gear using the bolt on the front sprocket. Try this in every gear down the 1st and report back.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:40 am

It is strange..
What oil did you put in there?
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:37 pm

clutches do wear and do go very quick.....replace the cluth plates AND metal plates as a set, maybe the springs too....f3joel also raises a good point: is your oil moto clutch compatible? if it is, keep it and make sure to inspect the rest of the drive train...
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:47 pm

inspect the steels for wear damage/ warping. if ok, give them a very light rub with wet/dry and put new OEM fibres in. new steels is only required if there is damage or excessive wear to them. also make sure your clutch cable adjustments are correct and if getting to end of adjustment, replace cable.

oil type is another good thing to check before bolting it back together
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 10:49 am

Dang a dead end. My exact same symptoms and about the same mileage. Problem is not the clutch. The transmission did kind of slip before engaging about 50 miles before it failed. I assumed the slipping feeling was the clutch and I would get to it at next opportunity.

Taking off the transmission side cover and will report back.

Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm

The issue was simple. The countershaft sprocket had come loose and then hopped off the splines. Strange it looks normal sitting there until you test the fastness of the nut.

Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:
The issue was simple. The countershaft sprocket had come loose and then hopped off the splines. Strange it looks normal sitting there until you test the fastness of the nut.

Sounds like another good reason to install a Sandman Case Saver. You would have been able to see the problem at a glance.

https://sites.google.com/site/sandmanparts/home/freedom-case-saver-kit
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 pm

wwguy wrote:
Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:

Sounds like another good reason to install a Sandman Case Saver.  You would have been able to see the problem at a glance.

https://sites.google.com/site/sandmanparts/home/freedom-case-saver-kit

I do have one and it has already saved me when a master link failed:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6035-aftermarket-front-sprocket-protector-yay-or-nay

It would not have stopped this prolly. Just poor maintenance on my part. Afraid I have been abusing this bike's ability to take punishment. That said you should see some the punishment this ride has endured since I was active here years ago. My big bikes cannot endure what this one can that is for sure. Especially with the Safari tank and hdb guards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible output shaft issues OR?????   Possible output shaft issues OR????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible output shaft issues OR?????
Page 1 of 1