Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Check oil bolt

Go down 
+15
bracky72
mordicai
f3joel
09wrx
R1-Dave
Akasy
R_Lefebvre
mash100
SheWolf
WRoldman
YamX1KRR
X-Racer
motokid
Dancamp
inspector
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Check oil bolt - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:16 am

Red is a Yammie rep/mechanic (0007onWR). Next time I see him I'll ask. Hell maybe I'll just call him this morning and see what his thoughts are. He's been with Yamaha for years. Check oil bolt - Page 2 61865

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:41 am

^^^ Cool. Now we're getting somewhere. Eliminate the "guess work".
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Direct from Red HQ...

You DO NOT have to fart around with that oil screw. It is there mainly in lieu of an oil pressure dummy light or sensor per se, because the bike doesn't come with one; he also said that the oil pump will purge any air out of the system on its own. It's there to check oil pressure only, and they use it when they've done a rebuild (or new) or merely want to check. It WILL NOT hurt the bike not using it, but feel free to use it if it'll make you feel better. Check oil bolt - Page 2 61865

BenWRR likes this post

Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 6:58 am

SheWolf wrote:
Direct from Red HQ...

You DO NOT have to fart around with that oil screw. It is there mainly in lieu of an oil pressure dummy light or sensor per se, because the bike doesn't come with one; he also said that the oil pump will purge any air out of the system on its own. It's there to check oil pressure only, and they use it when they've done a rebuild (or new) or merely want to check. It WILL NOT hurt the bike not using it, but feel free to use it if it'll make you feel better. Check oil bolt - Page 2 61865
Hmmmm... Will Yamaha HQ pass this information on to the stealers who claim it takes an extra half hour to carry out the oil service due to 'bleeding' & charge accordingly, & also amend the owners manual??
Also, if there suddenly is an oil pressure loss, how are we supposed to know? Wait for the engine to seize?? This is one of the few things I think Yamaha have not thought through. dddog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:44 am

mash100 wrote:

Hmmmm... Will Yamaha HQ pass this information on to the stealers who claim it takes an extra half hour to carry out the oil service due to 'bleeding' & charge accordingly, & also amend the owners manual??
Also, if there suddenly is an oil pressure loss, how are we supposed to know? Wait for the engine to seize?? This is one of the few things I think Yamaha have not thought through. Check oil bolt - Page 2 911463

What might you be doing to worry about a "sudden oil pressure loss"?

How often do you plan to check your pressure using this screw?

Just ride the bike and stop worrying. Guys are stunting this bike. People are racing it on asphault and in dirt. Some are riding it across America and back. Some are putting turbo kits on them. Some are putting big-bore kits on them.

It's a bullet proof engine my friend.

Use the "pressure check" bolt if you want.

It's up to you.

The point is: YOU DON'T NEED TO.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Direct from Red HQ...

I just did my first oil change on my bike last week, and this stupid bolt had me wondering WTF? Check oil bolt - Page 2 490865 I guess I misread the instructions, and I took the bolt right out, and got a huge amount of oil out of it. So, if I did want to check it, just loosen it and the oil comes out the threads just a little bit? Or, you're saying a Yamaha tech is saying that they don't even do it at the shop? That would be great, because this bolt thing is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: The bleed bolt...   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 pm

obviously you are checking for oil flow--like on most Yamaha dual sports. I have not done my WRR yet--nor have I looked at the manual. However, if it is like all the other Yammy's I've had the oil filter is symetrical--that is it can be installed either way. Only problem is it will only flow oil installed the correct way. A quick check on the bleed screw will confirm if you have oil flow--not a bad check in MHO--to each his own. On my other Yammy with a bleed screw I just backed it out a very small amount and confirmed oil flow then immediately retorqued it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Oil filter can only be installed one way with this bike. Most techs don't bother with that bolt.

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

Akasy wrote:
obviously you are checking for oil flow--like on most Yamaha dual sports. I have not done my WRR yet--nor have I looked at the manual. However, if it is like all the other Yammy's I've had the oil filter is symetrical--that is it can be installed either way. Only problem is it will only flow oil installed the correct way. A quick check on the bleed screw will confirm if you have oil flow--not a bad check in MHO--to each his own. On my other Yammy with a bleed screw I just backed it out a very small amount and confirmed oil flow then immediately retorqued it.

My 06 WR250F didn't have a check bolt.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqj1W38qZfg

6 min point

R_Lefebvre wrote:
Akasy wrote:

My 06 WR250F didn't have a check bolt.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 4:57 pm

SheWolf wrote:

Quote :
Most techs don't bother with that bolt.

Bottom line....for the umpteenth time.....you don't need to dick around with that stupid mess making screw.

But if you want to have at it.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
R1-Dave

R1-Dave

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Haha ! My manual says to remove the bolt and start the engine ................ SQUIRT! Oil everywhere. GAHHHH
Like most people have stated, it's not a big deal to skip this step but do it if you want to.
Once was enough for me !
Back to top Go down
09wrx

09wrx

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Anyone seen any problems yet arising from not checking the bolt for oil pressure? A lot of bikes should have had numerous oil changes performed by this time.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Nothing with mine and don't expect it to. thumb

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm

if you don't check it your motor will send you spam mail.
I have a good spam filter so I have ignored it for 11,000+ miles.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 am

f3joel wrote:
if you don't check it your motor will send you spam mail.
I have a good spam filter so I have ignored it for 11,000+ miles.

Is that a dealer only item?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:01 am

something i picked up drinking while drinking somewhere.
Back to top Go down
bracky72

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 am

On old thread I know but I believe I have something to add. Instead of using the check oil bolt to check for oil pressure just keep the bike level and start it up. The oil in the site glass should immediately start to go down as the oil starts to circulate. If it does not this is equivalent to no oil coming from the check oil passage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: what size is the bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:33 am

I dropped my oil check bolt down under the starter and it isn't coming out. Anybody know what length bolt this is? I know it is 8mm threads but how long? I have a bolt about 10mm long but I'm worried it will be too long and contact something or block off the flow.

??? The parts fiche doesn't have the size listed.
Back to top Go down
rowanyote

PostSubject: Oil pressure light   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Has anybody tried mounting an aftermarket oil pressure gauge or switch in the check hole? How well did that work?
Back to top Go down
Tewster2

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 pm

I am a new owner and my head just exploded. In 50 years of driving and building engines I've never seen this bleeder thing. I put a piece of black tape over the bolt so I don't have to look at it. same thing with my "check engine light"...I also reset it with a piece of tape dutch
Back to top Go down
RoundPonda

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you for the info SheWolf... I will continue as I have for the past 40 years with M/C's: Warm the engine to operating temperature, drain the oil, change filter, refill oil, start and let it idle for 30 seconds... What could be easier... I change the oil and filter often...
By the Way, I will pick up my BRAND NEW 2015 WR250R TOMORROW...!!! At Crossbay Honda-Suzuki, in Howard Beach, NY 11414. Pretty good deal - $6200 out the door, not including sales tax... We will do a little winter riding in Maine.  There are hundreds of miles of trails out our front door...
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 1:31 pm

RoundPonda wrote:
Thank you for the info SheWolf... I will continue as I have for the past 40 years with M/C's: Warm the engine to operating temperature, drain the oil, change filter, refill oil, start and let it idle for 30 seconds... What could be easier... I change the oil and filter often...
By the Way, I will pick up my BRAND NEW 2015 WR250R TOMORROW...!!! At Crossbay Honda-Suzuki, in Howard Beach, NY 11414. Pretty good deal - $6200 out the door, not including sales tax... We will do a little winter riding in Maine.  There are hundreds of miles of trails out our front door...

FWIW: SheWolf's post was over 5 years old. She hasn't logged into this forum for 2 years.

Enjoy your new bike. That sounds like a great price!
Back to top Go down
RoundPonda

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 9:27 pm

FWIW: SheWolf's post was over 5 years old.  She hasn't logged into this forum for 2 years.

Enjoy your new bike.  That sounds like a great price![/quote]

HEY:  Thanks for the reply... Now I see her post date... I am PSYCHED OUT about picking upmy new WRR in the morning...!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check oil bolt   Check oil bolt - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Check oil bolt
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2