Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New owner/member, need to learn.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

New owner/member, need to learn. Empty
PostSubject: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 12:42 am

I just bought an 08 WR-X this spring from a friend and know its the perfect bike for me, but have questions. I looked in some of the mods areas and didnt find some answers but dont want to post stupid questions there so im here in the newbie area.

I looking into my first mod on the bike and what would be a good start. I know i want to take weight off (saw the great thread for that!) But I also want to be able to lift the front up with ease at a moment's notice. (say riding off a drop, i would prefer not to nose dive into concrete) I would prefer not to lose my top speed with a new sproket, but will any other mods allow me to reach that control??? One person at work tells me get an exhaust, the other says start with the fmf efi programer, not sure what i should do.

Thanks for the time.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:45 am

Hey Mike... Welcome to the jungle.

Plan on getting both. That will support lightening the front end.

At "a moment's notice" on a 250cc are not always complementary.

It usually takes a little planning and timing.

You'll get your answers here in no time.

Good luck... Ride on !
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:43 am

Stock, the bike's a dog that's choked-up with EPA regs.
It's way overgeared to the point that it's rediculous, too.
Stock, it's like an anti-wheelie bike.

Do what other members here have done:
Remove the airbox flapper.
Fuel programmer.
Exhaust system.
Gear it down considerably because it's intentionally geared way too tall, stock (sorry, but it's a requirement if you want some performance and wheelies).

If you do this, it will be much peppier and feel like it's running well.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:50 am

Welcome, HI!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 am

YZEtc wrote:

Do what other members here have done:
Remove the airbox flapper.
Fuel programmer.
Exhaust system.

Exactly. Throw on a $20 front 12T JT sprocket and you'll be doin' what you want. Oh, and welcome to the pack, Mike. New owner/member, need to learn. 61865

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:00 am

Thanks, just came back to this today.

Wow you guys are helpful!

I did all the removals and added the programmer and q4 today, can wait for the silicon's 24 hour cure time! From what I've read, its gonna be a whole new bike!

I have been lookin at that 12 tooth. My only concern is will it kill my top highway speed?

I figure ride it now with all the new mods, and if i still feel like I need more front end lift, get the 12....But I've been havin a blast with it stock, not lets see it out the cage!

Previous owner = 950 miles in 2 years.
Me = 800 miles in 1 month! bannana
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 10:30 am

Believe it or not, you will still be able to do highway speed and even have power left over to spare when you pass. What's nice about it is you can rip up the tarmac, and if you see a trail up over there somewhere you can head right for it, and start climbing. I found the 13 to be a bit long legged in the bush, so the 12 stepped up to the plate and has since stayed on. You can ride anywhere with this sprocket setup. thumb

PostSubject: Re: New owner/member, need to learn.   New owner/member, need to learn. Empty

Back to top Go down

New owner/member, need to learn.
Page 1 of 1