Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bone stock

Go down 
+20
texascycle
Dancamp
deerHater
WR250RON
mnormand
jason meacham
Mr.Metal
yellowredlight
MeefZah
WRoldman
Krabill
duanew
YZEtc
greer
keith_mahoney
wjfawb0
inspector
X-Racer
SheWolf
spidersoup
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mnormand

Bone stock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 am

WR250RON wrote:
Oh well, I thought after 20,000 plus miles on old Yamaha enduros back in the 70s a stock WR250R should be wonderful. I'd take back my old 75 DT400 that was better for me.

Wow, a 2stroke 400cc kick start, 20,000+ miles. You're right, a WR is probably pretty boring after that ! Bone stock - Page 2 645337 Bone stock - Page 2 93746
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:37 am

I had over 12k on my 86 DT200, and my R² still walks away with the fun factor prize. Hey Spider, how' the bike comin' along? thumb

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:13 pm

When I buy a bike I always buy protection parts first.

Before buying performance parts I wait until I used it a bit to feel what I like and dislike about the motorcycle. The type of trails and the people I ride with are also a factor that influence decision. There are stock motorcycles that offer more than I can handle so no need to spend over to buy performance parts. If a modification doen't cost anything then I'll do it.
Back to top Go down
spidersoup

spidersoup

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 6:35 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I had over 12k on my 86 DT200, and my R² still walks away with the fun factor prize. Hey Spider, how' the bike comin' along? thumb

Hey SheWolf,

I've ridden my bike now about 150 or so kms and even though I can ride standing up pretty comfortably I do think slightly taller bars would better suit me. I have ordered the STR speed bleed valves and a Flatlands skidplate, but have yet to receive either of them. I tried to take the buddy pegs off, but the allen key I had wasn't quite the right size. So I plan to make a couple changes. Nothing drastic yet, and as I await my goods from the USA I went ahead and put a sticker on my bike. So I think that officially makes it my bike and me part of the mod crowd.

I love my tall blue baby though. With all the emissions crap on and everything else as it was right out of the box I do love this bike. I know a lot of people want a lot of things from their bikes, and some will never be happy, but pine for their long gone glory days on a bike they choose to only fondly remember. I spent a year and a half figuring out exactly what I wanted from a bike, the look, the feel, the power, and where I would be able to ride it. Let me tell you - I chose perfectly. I grew up on bikes and over the past 3 years ridden KTMs, Honda CRFs, Yamahas, and my favourite - a KLX 300R. God I loved that KLX. I think my WR250R is a lot like a KLX 300R, but with lights and mirrors and a blue license plate. It's absolutely perfect.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 8:56 pm

It's a great feeling isn't it? I never thought I'd find another dirtbike that measured up to that old DT I had. Yamaha did good with the R², ten fold! Even when my bike was totally stock it took my breath away and re-lit that fire, I knew that this bike was it. Too many coincidences too, after I did some comparisons and then the creeping out of dates, times, and everything else. I could have left it stock, but in all honesty the thing, for one, was just too damned tall for my 28" inseam. As the saying goes, the rest is history. thumb

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm

There are a number of mods that I could easily entertain, some for slight improvements, others for fun ... but really, this is one machine that is pretty darn good out of the box.

Have you guys seen the bolt on turbo for our bikes? Look it up on youtube ... crazy! And its only $2000
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Our very own Dark has one on his X. thumb It's one hawt little bike.

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 am

I bought '08 WRR with 865 miles on it. The PO did absolutely nothing to the bike so it was bone stock down to the tires. I rode it 10 miles then immediately installed fmf q4, header, skidplate, FMF fuel computer, speedohealer, HDB bars clamps & barkbusters, real tires, radiator guard, gps wiring, luggage, rack, pegs, edge taillight and removed exup, ais, passenger pegs, reflectors, etc. It's easier to just do everything you want to the bike at once, then just ride and change the oil.

That's the beauty of buying a used bike - I've got a lighter, more functional, and better protected bike for what I could have bought one new for.

I can already tell I'm gonna absolutely love this bike.

Bone stock - Page 2 P7050061
Back to top Go down
spidersoup

spidersoup

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 2:38 am

My God, I've barely had my bike a month and already I've spent who knows how much and done a few things to it. So much for bone stock.

New handle bars
New counter sprox
New rear aluminum sprox
new scorpion MT21 on front
new D606 on back
New Zeta handguards (XC)
STR speedbleed valves
Flatlands skidplate
Fastway footpegs F5

Next year I will do AIS and EXUP removal, new pipe and PowerCommander
Probably should do my suspension as well
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:51 am

spidersoup wrote:
The bike will be spending most of its time on two lane roads, gravel roads and the bi-weekly run through some fire roads and double track trail riding. I have no idea how changing the gearing will affect the bike up or down, tall or short. Perhaps I will just keep the gearing in mind and change it if I don't like it - you'll all be the first to know.

Sounds like I need a skidplate though. You guys like the Flatlands? That B&B plate is great looking, but damned expensive and is all the way down in Australia.

Wanted mine to spool up a little quicker,went with a larger rear +3,i never get mine up above 45 round town so its fine.just wanted it to get off the corner quicker.
I have done the pipe/programer/air box door. If i had to do it again i would do the programer first.
And spare wheels,2.5 sets. that is just a personal thing to keep from buying another bike or two ;)
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 8:03 pm

All stock.

Did order a tail bag. Next plan on a better seat for the ride to ride angle. Then some more durable handlebars/barkbusters and a larger tank.

Once these stockers are worn down abit more, D606's are going on. Hate to throw out tires in decent shape. Deflating them for those ever present Florida dakar scenarios right now.

I totally understand the need for engine mods & may well do later on, but with no trophy's at stake, range is more important for me with this bike right now.
Back to top Go down
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 pm

My bike is stock except for the Flatland Skid Plate. Have no noise issues with it by the way. I definitely don't have an appreciation for the way the EPA mods rob power from the bike, but I also like the fact that I can ride through the neighborhood on a unquestionably legal dirt bike.

Funny how even a thread purposely about running stock pretty much talks about nothing but mods. One thing is for sure is that they are darn addictive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bone stock   Bone stock - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bone stock
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2