Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...

Go down 
+7
clint
wjfawb0
motokid
Mr. Fisherman
galland1
duanew
mash100
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... Empty
PostSubject: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am

Why is it that there seems to be many posts here on how to either fit WRR wheels to an X, or buying 17" knobbys for an X, even when said front tyres are deigned for 'rear wheel use only' & for a dirt bike????
Surely if you wanted an off-road machine you would buy as R instead of an X? Are Rs much more expensive in North America? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but am I missing something here???
BTW: NOT impressed with the football result last night dddog it seems our goal keeper maybe a US citizen in disguise poser2
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am

I would have not bought an X because it does not fit my driving style and I would have had to convert it also. I have heard some reasons that others have done it though: X was cheaper locally. All that I can find is an X locally. I bought an X and I think that I now want to do more dirt. and also I really like the black frame of the X and it would be easier to convert it than to paint the frame.

I used to have a KLR-650 and I remember that one big thing was to get rid of the 21 inch wheel and put a 17 on the front so that it would look cool and ride throught sand better. The X guys are sometimes going the opposite way here.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Couldn't find a new R in my area. Found a New '08 X at my local dealer for $4500. Turns out the X with tires does exactly what I need very well.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I bought an X that came with a set of dirt wheels. Changeover is quick and easy. I love railing the corners on the 17s, it is stupid fun.
with the larger diameter I was able to install the Tubliss system. No more pinch flats off-road. and plug and go repairs on the trail. no more tube fixes... love it.

I take the time to raise the forks for the sumo setup and drop them for the dirt set.
This saves my knobs for the trail and makes my commute a blast. love this setup and the black frame too.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm a purest...if it's got knobs....it ain't an X. WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... 53647

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 pm

I've thought about putting the X brakes on the front of my R due to some near misses I've had with the smaller front brake on the road. I tend to favor the rear brake due to all the miles I have put on street bikes like my FZ1s. I lock up the rear real fast on the R. I just need to learn to bias my braking more up front when riding the R on the street.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

mash100 wrote:
Why is it that there seems to be many posts here on how to either fit WRR wheels to an X, or buying 17" knobbys for an X, even when said front tyres are deigned for 'rear wheel use only' & for a dirt bike????
Surely if you wanted an off-road machine you would buy as R instead of an X? Are Rs much more expensive in North America? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but am I missing something here???
BTW: NOT impressed with the football result last night dddog it seems our goal keeper maybe a US citizen in disguise poser2

1 -- An older model year X costs $1500 less than a 2010 R² so it's cheaper to buy the older X and Dirt Wheels than an R² in many cases. Additionally, the larger X rotor on a Dirt rim improves stopping power while not being much more vulnerable to rocks than the R² version.

2 -- 17" Knobbies, depending on who manufacturers them, are specifically marked as "Back" or "Back or Front",meaning they "can" be mounted on the front wheel with no adverse result.

3 -- Some people buy Dirt Wheels to facilitate quick-swapping the wheels if they decide to go on a road trip that involves a lot of off-road sections.

Me personally, I have X wheels and R² wheels so I can swap out when I want. I also have 17" Knobbies (in the form of Kenda K270s) in case I need them.

As for football, I wouldn't worry about it...you team will make its customary departure soon enough. WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... 851577
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:08 am

clint wrote:

As for football, I wouldn't worry about it...you team will make its customary departure soon enough. WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... 851577
Yeah, I'm thinking of buying an Argentina flag with 'Viva Malvinas' writtin on it to replace my 5' St George flag poser2 My house may well get attacked by passers-by though....
Anyhow, interesting answers about turning your X into a dirt bike - I think the R is actually cheaper in the UK than the X, but I have yet to spot a single R or X on the roads - makes me feel a bit lonely tough
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 4:54 pm

The X is normally more money than the R, but the X didn't sell well, there are leftovers, and so lots of deals to be had on the X. That's a big part of the reason. And, chicks dig black...
frames.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 pm

17s cost more,so i got an x then added more wheels to fill the gaps of the diffrent things i do with it as 21s-18s-19s are cheeper to buy/build.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:37 am

I wanna get some 50/50 dirt wheels for my X, I get the impression that Wheeling Supply is my best bet huh. I still wanna keep my X wheels, just want to swap for the other option when i feel. Any specifics or any tip for my search and purchase???
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

You got it. Forrest at Wheeling seems to be the go to guy for that. thumb

mash100

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 5:35 am

R_Lefebvre wrote:
And, chicks dig black...
frames.
You really think they notice the difference?? My other half can't tell the difference between a Harley & Honda poser2 But my black X is definitely more cool than blue (waiting to be flamed by blue WR owners....) amazon
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 am

I guess it would be if you left it out in the cold all the time. Very happy It's so cool it farts ice cubes. freaky

PostSubject: ZE Germans!   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 pm

I got a '09 black X with Avon D's for the stock 17's-love it, works great on road/fireroads. Bigger front rim (21") and dirt tires (dunlop maybe) would be necessary for better offroad handling. Oh England better win! "before ze germans get here!" freaky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...   WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question... Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR wheels maybe dumb(?) question...
Page 1 of 1