Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

DUMB Stand Question

Go down 
+2
Jäger
WolfpackFBNS
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WolfpackFBNS

DUMB Stand Question Empty
PostSubject: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm new to the bike scene and have a question. I just got a stand for oil changes and stuff and it looks like the drain plug is blocked by the stand when it's on there. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just setting the bike on there wrong?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 pm

nfraged wrote:
I'm new to the bike scene and have a question. I just got a stand for oil changes and stuff and it looks like the drain plug is blocked by the stand when it's on there. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just setting the bike on there wrong?
I drain the oil on the sidestand, where I can tip the bike back and forth to get as much as possible of the old oil out. About the only thing a stand helps with is refilling - if you don't use a measuring cylinder, and if your stand is on a flat area.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 pm

When I change the oil, I just use one of those "in the axle" moto triangle stands. It stands the bike nearly straight up because they are made for taller motocross bikes so you have to be careful. It also needs to be on pretty level ground. It works well though because it gets all the oil out well compared to just using the kickstand. I know on my HF motorcycle jack that I use for other stuff, it would be tough to get in there and change the oil with.
Back to top Go down
johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:52 pm

My stand has a large hole in the center for oil changes so I can wiggle the bike around until the plug is accessible. If you don't think it's going to work, maybe you could drill out a hole in the top of your stand?
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I already purchased the Dirt Bike style stand instead of the street bike like stand. I just got it so I guess I could either return it or when I change the oil this weekend I'll see where the drain plug lines up. Maybe I can drill a hole in it. I must be doing something wrong b/c this style stand has been around since dirt bikes have been around, and there has to be a way to get to the drain plug without messing with the stand.
dunno dunno dunno
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am

Back in the olden daze, dirt bikes were mostly two-strokes with the drain plug handling the draining of the transmission oil, and the drain plug was located more toward the center of the crankcase.
The WR-250R/X drain plug is positioned more to the left-hand side.
The stand manufacturers are simply making them the same ol' way.

Why not keep the stand for the times you need to get the wheels off the ground, like when lubing or adjusting the drive chain, changing tires, and disassembling the steering head and rear suspension for greasing it?
Back to top Go down
GaryH

GaryH

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Back in the olden daze, dirt bikes were mostly two-strokes with the drain plug handling the draining of the transmission oil, and the drain plug was located more toward the center of the crankcase.
The WR-250R/X drain plug is positioned more to the left-hand side.
The stand manufacturers are simply making them the same ol' way.

Why not keep the stand for the times you need to get the wheels off the ground, like when lubing or adjusting the drive chain, changing tires, and disassembling the steering head and rear suspension for greasing it?

Back then bike stands were milk crates. wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DUMB Stand Question   DUMB Stand Question Empty

Back to top Go down

DUMB Stand Question
Page 1 of 1