Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

About the Airbox Flapper

Go down 
+10
taoshum
Corprin
njbill
2goose
motokid
Big-t
Mr.Metal
SheWolf
clint
angelWR
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
2goose

About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 pm

The problem with these types of mods is most can not show any hard evidence that they accomplish the intended goal. I would suggest that if any one can show me a dyno chart of any improvement caused by this modification and only this modification I will be out in my shed sawing and cutting.

I will concede that it may be of some value in conjunction with other mods, but I doubt that alone it increases anything other than intake noise.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd say removing the entire lid and the door would make excess intake noise. I can't say mine's really any louder than normal with that flapper gone.

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:50 pm

You're right, SheWolf.
Doing the flapper elimination made no increase in intake noise that I could detect.
I did try the whole airbox top removed, and that was loud enough to annoy me.

2goose wrote:
The problem with these types of mods is most can not show any hard evidence that they accomplish the intended goal. I would suggest that if any one can show me a dyno chart of any improvement caused by this modification and only this modification I will be out in my shed sawing and cutting.

I will concede that it may be of some value in conjunction with other mods, but I doubt that alone it increases anything other than intake noise.

I believe you're on the right track.
Doing just the flapper elimination alone and expecting something is kinda' like expecting new window panes alone to transform the ol' house that's got tons of old paint flaking off of it.
You need to add a fuel programmer and get rid of the stock muffler.

My opinion is if you refuse to buy those things, don't bother with it.
The sad part of doing that is the bike will remain plugged-up and run like a snail.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:25 pm

weakest link theory

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:41 pm

YZEtc wrote:
You're right, SheWolf.
Doing the flapper elimination made no increase in intake noise that I could detect.
I did try the whole airbox top removed, and that was loud enough to annoy me.

2goose wrote:

I believe you're on the right track.
Doing just the flapper elimination alone and expecting something is kinda' like expecting new window panes alone to transform the ol' house that's got tons of old paint flaking off of it.
You need to add a fuel programmer and get rid of the stock muffler.

My opinion is if you refuse to buy those things, don't bother with it.
The sad part of doing that is the bike will remain plugged-up and run like a snail.

i agree 100%
Like you say, "if i had to return the bike back to stock, I would sell it"
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:04 pm

I've got the FMF powerbomb, FMF Q4 and FMF programmer. If I do the airbox mod will I need to adjust the programmer?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:58 pm

It wouldn't hurt to account for the larger amounts of air you'll be getting through the intake.

gatorfan wrote:
I've got the FMF powerbomb, FMF Q4 and FMF programmer. If I do the airbox mod will I need to adjust the programmer?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 am

Is there a greater risk of water getting into the engine after the airbox mod with the bike verticle. I go through some pretty deep water sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:09 am

I think that depends on what kind of air box mod you do. If you just rip off the top and leave it like that... well, yeah, I would venture to guess you'd be more likely to get some water in there. If you just gut the air box and leave the top scoop intact (minus the guts), I would say you're no more likely to get water in there than stock. The intake points to the rear of the bike, so if you have water coming in that way, you're most likely pretty submerged anyway eeek

gatorfan wrote:
Is there a greater risk of water getting into the engine after the airbox mod with the bike verticle. I go through some pretty deep water sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

About the Airbox Flapper
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2