Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tech Inspection - roadracing

Go down 
+6
Tammy
f3joel
inspector
mattf
WRoldman
motokid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Tech Inspection - roadracing  Empty
PostSubject: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 am

What things have you been required to do to pass tech inspection?

What have you used for catch can? Placement?

Light removal? Turn-signal removal?

Safety-wire?

The more pictures you can supply the better.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Catch cans are for carburetor vent lines. So you'll have to get that FI system out of there. Seriously though, the organization, or track, is were you want to field these questions. Kart tracks usually insist on axle & footpeg sliders while big tracks don't care. As far as lights, some will let you tape them over while some will want them removed (personally I remove them cause I don't need them torn up). Every organization has its own rules although they will be similar among similar groups (ie: race, trackday, or kart track hosted time).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:23 pm

Yeah. I get all that. I used to roadrace back in the early 90's with both WERA and AMA/CCS.

What I'm wondering, and hoping to see, are the things people have done specifically to their wr250's.

There are radiator overflow lines aren't there?

Is there no need at all for any kind of catch-can anywhere on a wr250x?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok. With your race experience...What's the question?

This was my main point:
WRoldman wrote:
Seriously though, the organization, or track, is were you want to field these questions. Every organization has its own rules although they will be similar among similar groups (ie: race, trackday, or kart track hosted time).

Is the catch can the big question? There are some other products for catching coolant overflow (vent lines & overflow tube are not the same size) but the issue is usually negated by disallowing the use of glycol. So what requirements must you meet? & what pictures do you want?

I 'm not trying to aggravate you. It seems like you might be setting yourself up for more of a fire drill than you need.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 pm

here's my raceday prep for the WR.

catch can, I zip tied and electric taped a small plastic shampoo bottle to the frame, in front of the engine near the little plastic guards. there is only one over flow line for the coolant that runs down the left front frame tube.

lights, I installed the DRC fender eliminator with LED blinkers front and back. when I wired in the new lights I added in quick disconnect connectors for all of them so I just unbolt and unplug. I pull the fuze and tape over the headlight.

I have my oil drain plug safety wired (drilled a small hole and run wire thru it and around the flat piece of frame running under the engine that has a few holes in it)
I wrap wire around my kickstand but it always ends up breaking while on the track, I believe my heal pushes down on the kickstand when I land jumps and it snaps the wire, never actually had the kickstand come down.

I have homemade axle sliders, purchased peg sliders, and homemade sliders on the outside edge of my barkbusters.

I have the highway dirtbike handguards with mirrors so I just put tape over the mirror and fold them in behind the handguard.

I run engine ice for coolant.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:37 pm

mattf wrote:

catch can, I zip tied and electric taped a small plastic shampoo bottle to the frame, in front of the engine near the little plastic guards. there is only one over flow line for the coolant that runs down the left front frame tube.

Sweet. Any pictures? And thanks.

@ WRoldman : I just want to know what people have done in various circumstances.

Is it simply enough to say "hey man, this is a wr250x, it's exempt from all catch-can rules" ?

Here's a requirement lifted from NJminiGP:

Quote :
Coolant and Fuel Catch Cans – This can be a combined catch tank for both the engine
coolant and fuel or two separate systems. Here are the official guidelines for the catch cans.

Deemed Unacceptable:
No Red Bull Type Cans or any other type of Soda Can of any type.
No flimsy and/or weak container of any kind/any material.
No container that would allow a significant amount of fuel to be spilled in a crash.

Acceptable Guidelines:
All hosing associated with the fuel system must be in good condition, of a proper
material, and fastened securely. All fuel overflow hoses must terminate in the catch can.
One-way breather vents on the gas cap will be permitted.
Your container should be able to withstand a substantial impact, be of a quality material,
large enough and able to contain all of its contents in the event of a crash, be heat resistant
and mounted securely to your bike. Preferably in a location that would reduce
and/or eliminate it's exposure to damage.
8oz capacity

I'm just seeking information on what others have had to do to race a wr250x.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Oil drain plug safety-wire is excellent. I know plenty of people that do this, (even thou it isn't required) You don't want to be known as "That guy" that stops everything on the track until it is cleaned up.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 pm

You did not mention what rules you were trying to satisfy. This should satisfy that rule.
http://www.motostrano.com/ufosucaca.html
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

I don't have any pictures really showing the catch can too well and I normally left it on there all the time but finally removed it a couple weeks ago when I got a skid plate. I won't be putting it back on for about a month. basically I just put a zip tie thru the empty hole where the skid plate bolts to and then a couple around the frame and tightened them enough to partially crush the plastic bottle so it couldn't move up or down. then added some electrical tape around the top to help hold it some more and keep any fluids from being able to splash out to easily. nothing fancy by any means but it worked well enough for the two tracks I've been to.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 am

WRoldman wrote:
You did not mention what rules you were trying to satisfy. This should satisfy that rule. http://www.motostrano.com/ufosucaca.html

I was not specific on purpose. It's an open question.
What are people doing to pass tech inspection with a wr250x?

Also...I've no intention of buying something for $40 + shipping if a used shampoo bottle can be zip-tied to frame. Tech Inspection - roadracing  61865

Thanks though. I appreciate the suggestions.

@ inspector: yeah....saftey wired oil drain plug is without question.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 am

Moto, we are going in circles.

The rules make mention about "flimsy" containers. That word is open to interpretation. My guess is that NJmini's interpretation is the one that counts. This is why I suggested them you contact them in the first place. I think that is better than guessing, "hey man, this is shampoo bottle will satisfy all
catch-can rules".

Finally, I know it was open question. But you need to be prepared for like responses. I don't understand the snarky "I know" to the initial open response. I know I made a little joke first, but the response was sent with genuine intentions. If you want help with something specific, be specific.

Getting off this ride now. Tech Inspection - roadracing  942737
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:56 am

Now....back to the subject at hand....quite simply:

What have you done to your X to pass tech-inspection?

Pictures would be great. Tech Inspection - roadracing  93746

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 pm

All I have had to do is safety wire the oil drain and fill.
And I put Engine Ice to replace the coolant.

Depending where you go and with what organization you may be required to do more.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 11:27 pm

inspector wrote:
Oil drain plug safety-wire is excellent. I know plenty of people that do this, (even thou it isn't required) You don't want to be known as "That guy" that stops everything on the track until it is cleaned up.

When I raced any bolt that had oil in it HAD to be wired, All Ex bolts and we HAD to run water only so no need for a catch can.... Could tape up headlight but all others had to come off... They got crazy with what we had to wire but that was back in the 80's when you could still look good on a H2R or a KR... Mmmmm can you smell the smoke...
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 am

The radiator overflow bottle is a catch can, you don't need any catch cans for this bike. The line coming from the overflow bottle is a vent line, which doesn't need a catch can.

To get on the tracks around here, they are pretty lenient for anyone that isn't running advanced. My track prep is as follow:

Remove mirrors
Tape all lights
Zip tie passenger pegs in the up position

That's it, though I am sure other tracks require more. I run water wetter, though it is not required.

I also rigged all the lights with connectors, they usually don't like any light bleeding through the tape, plus with the lights on, they will get hot, so the tape will leave all kinds of glue. I use the blue painters tape, comes right off and leaves no residue (atleast with the lights unplugged).

You can usually tape over the mirrors, but they are so easy to remove, I just remove them.

I am working on an easy track day conversion, which will involve swapping the headlight with a number plate and making the DRC tail light kit easier to remove as one piece. I already rigged all the rear lights into one plug.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am

Tammy wrote:
inspector wrote:

When I raced any bolt that had oil in it HAD to be wired, All Ex bolts and we HAD to run water only so no need for a catch can.... Could tape up headlight but all others had to come off... They got crazy with what we had to wire but that was back in the 80's when you could still look good on a H2R or a KR... Mmmmm can you smell the smoke...

Yeah...I also had to do any line that had liquid of any kind. Brake lines, radiator lines, and if you had a hydraulic clutch too. Plus all brake caliper mounting bolts. Also had to have aftermarket case cover for any FZR models. Those bolts had to be safety wired as well. Side stands and passenger pegs had to be removed completely. No zip-ties or safety wire. Removed.

My next oil change - regardless of taking to track or not, I'm drilling that bolt for safety wire.
Oil fill cap will get pierced too.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:47 am

Ooops...I guess tammy is right. This thread really has me confused. I was assuming this was a "what does it take to get on the track?"
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 pm

inspector wrote:
Ooops...I guess tammy is right. This thread really has me confused. I was assuming this was a "what does it take to get on the track?"

Oi....

What have you done to get your X on the track?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:47 am

for me,

-i flushed my coolant and then filled with water wetter and distilled water. be careful with engine ice, i bought that at first but was disappointed to see that it was still glycol based, and some tracks are picky about that.

-safety wired, oil drain bolt, oil fill cap, coolant drain bolt, front brake caliper bolts, and i think that's it.

-sliders on my axles, still haven't figured out a way to get sliders on the stock pegs.

-removed, all lights, kickstand, and any unecessary junk, lol

-fresh oil and filter

-stainless brake line (worked great, no fade whatsoever)

-i made a coolant catch can, but i don't think it's needed, so i might remove that

i think that's it, bike was a blast out at beaverun this past weekend, a tire change is def in order for the next one as my stockers were pretty worn out, and the suspension is the weak point on this bike. i was pretty happy, that for me, the power was just fine, enough to have fun with, but not enough that i could get myself in trouble, i was a little worried i was going to come away from it wanting a bigger bike.

Tech Inspection - roadracing  B49e4f74

and after seeing someone break his leg doing the foot out thing, i decided to switch it up and go back to knee out, and was pretty stoked to get both my knees down

Tech Inspection - roadracing  77dbba2a
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Last year all I did was put axle sliders and foot peg sliders on and change the fork oil to Ohlins.

For this year I had my rear shock rebuilt over the winter.

The foot peg sliders are for a YZ. I cut them down a bit and cobble it together. The seem to work as they get wear marks but only seem to fall off when I hit them on rocks off road.
(note to self, remove sliders for off-road baldy )

The picture at the left wasn't at the normal track. There they required lights to be taped.

As for knee down or foot down, I don't have a dirt bike background so I tend to go knee down. I also find that my lower leg can get stuck between the ground and the handle bar.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Old thread, I know, but thought I would check in and see if motokid ever made it to NJMP.

I have an acquaintance who rides NJ MiniGP and would love to do a couple practice sessions this year.

Question for motokid, did you ever ride with them, and did they require a catch can for the coolant vent line?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tech Inspection - roadracing    Tech Inspection - roadracing  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tech Inspection - roadracing
Page 1 of 1