Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Spot Satellite Messenger

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
njbill

njbill

Spot Satellite Messenger Empty
PostSubject: Spot Satellite Messenger   Spot Satellite Messenger EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Spot Satellite Messenger 773fcea3

I just mounted my SPOT Satellite Messenger on my WRR's dash. I have been using this unique device for a couple years. The truth is my wife mandated the purchase and use of this device after my second off-road related visit to the emergency room. For the record, I have been riding motorcycles, off and on the road, since I was 11 years old. My first serious injury took place in 2005; when I was 42 years old. Unfortunately, the second took place 20 months later and the wifey went ballistic. I guess either my skills or my luck had deteriorated when I hit my forties. Spot Satellite Messenger 724854

Anyway, enough background and back to the SPOT. It basically serves four purposes:

1. Check-in / OK - press the OK button once and the wife gets a text message and an email saying I am okay along with my GPS coordinates. This works well.
  2. Track Progress - when in this mode, the device transmits your GPS coordinates every 10 minutes. I think we paid $50/year extra for this feature. The website has a password protected interface that allows you to limit who is tracking you to those with a userid and password. My wife likes this feature most. If you stop at a go-go bar, you might want to turn the device off prior to getting close. Spot Satellite Messenger 163123
  3. Help - this sends a help message along with your coordinates, via text and/or email, to everyone on the list you set-up.
  4. SOS/911 - We paid a little extra for extraction insurance; I think $100K. This is pressed only in life threatening situations. In my opinion, this feature alone is worth the price of admission. From the SPOT website: Use this function In the event of a life threatening or other critical
    emergency to notify emergency services of your GPS location and that you
    need assistance. The GEOS International Emergency Response Center
    alerts the appropriate agencies worldwide – for example contacting 9-1-1
    responders in North America and 1-1-2 responders in Europe.

The original batteries lasted over a year. In fact, I was getting nervous because they had been in there so long that I replaced them before failure. Obviously, the device does not use much juice. I have never used the SOS/911 feature and I hope I never have to. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Spot Satellite Messenger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Satellite Messenger   Spot Satellite Messenger EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:47 pm

I was just looking at one of those today, actually. Great idea. Gonna get myself one. thumb

Spot Satellite Messenger
Page 1 of 1