Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!

Go down 
+89
Mr.Metal
SoupSandwich
mtb
RichardU
okdq
GsVs
RimBenty
Crawdaddy
mnormand
jimrobinette
DS-Jack
kjharn
gas_pig70
1moreroad
Machtig
Medski
john92
riata
TierHawg
e010584
mhm2a
cryptomundo
Farmer17
simonpig
IfuleU
flatboarder
eakins
blaisew
seattlechronic
KLRchickie
Hetch
BigBird
acmebot
oldirt
Scharcon
Berwyn Henderson
Racer83
vwsandman
msfagnani
abchel
MeefZah
PooTeeTat
bikepsych
Dancamp
SteveO
jviz1
router.exe
duanew
jonny-NITRO
xcel
picard
andrewlat
Hertz
D-Rail
ZED
taoshum
PYG RYDR
matttys
Cool#9
njbill
Akasy
malibu_dan
Joe Dirt
Ryan Nelson
Big-t
granite4brains
skierd
Jellyhead
aaronhall555
texasreb
Corprin
Twinct
superbee24
toast
SpiritWolf15
sswrx
R_Lefebvre
jlpred
3KGT_Maddness
X-Racer
clint
Trailmoto
2goose
Ozy
Matty
rydnseek
motokid
deerHater
SheWolf
93 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
john92

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Akasy wrote:
I used a different approach--didn't leak on the metal tank so the pump assembly is sealing good. Therefore I put the halomar on the tank surface and let it "figure out" where it needed to fill in. Very happy

OK well we both seem to have the sealer end up in the same spot then. That's a good point about the stock tank. I guess I really only put it where the new tank is contacting as well, not in any of the stock line-up areas. She Wolf, did you put it everywhere or just where the tank surface touched?
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 pm

deerHater wrote:
I think I was first on the list for a black tank, and my bottom is not flat

The tank bottom does seem to flatten out as you bolt down the pump. I jumped back and forth on bolts like you would for a sprocket or car wheel.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Screws   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:22 pm

+1 on the sequencing

john92 wrote:
deerHater wrote:
I think I was first on the list for a black tank, and my bottom is not flat

The tank bottom does seem to flatten out as you bolt down the pump. I jumped back and forth on bolts like you would for a sprocket or car wheel.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I put a good bead of it right on the tank where the gasket sits. Where mine leaked it was all around but because it was leaning to the left, it headed forward and down the shroud. Still no leaks. I also tightened them down alternately and then clockwise for the final snug up. thumb

PostSubject: Leaky tank   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 am

My tank leaked after the first installation. Not seeped but a good size puddle on the floor after one night.

I removed the fuel and let the bike sit for a few days (to ease my frustration) and read the forumn to see how everybody else was doing.

After a few beers one night I took the tank off and checked to see if the contact area of the pump gasket was flat. Close enough that i am sure it was not the problem.

I noticed heavy grinder/sander? marks at the pump area where IMS cleaned it up after removal from the mold. It was very rough and some deep groves running perpindicular to the pump gasket which could easily allow fuel to flow/seep through.

I took an orbital sander with 220 grit and with the tank in my lap and two hands on the sander carefully placed it over the entire pump area and sanded it down until the course marks were gone. I only moved the sander about a 1/2" in a circular motion. Then I very lightly hit it again and it almost polished the plastic.(220 was the finest grit i had). You have to be very careful with this as you do not want to catch the inside edge of the pump hole which is the contact area for the fuel pump gasket. I used a new sander and a new piece of sand paper. The nice thing about a circular sander is that any groves you might have run the same way as the gasket, not perpindicular to it.

I put the cap of the tank back on (I already had a vented hose cap on), turned it upside down and put just enough fuel in to swish it all around and pour it out to remove all the plastic sanding dust.

I re-installed the tank (with no permatex), ridden it for over a week and two hundred miles with no leaks or seepage. (Street only so far).

My tanks issue was the course sanding at the fuel pump gasket and an easy fix.

I am happy and thanks She Wolf and IMS for all the hard work.

Bruce

P.S. I like the factory look of the tank with the shrouds. Has anybody found a vented factory looking gas cap yet without the hose. I live in California and passed a police traffic stop today (they didn't stop me but this is the type of things they are looking for) so i need to keep it as factory looking as possible. I was lucky as part of my tank install was to remove the AIS, and flapper. The California tanks come with a hose from the cap to the charcoal canister that is a dead givaway that you have an after market tank and possibly more mods.

Back to top Go down
RichardU

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 am

Scharcon wrote:
Has anybody found a vented factory looking gas cap yet without the hose.
I use a Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag that covers the cap so it is not visible.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:09 am

Nobody so far has one that fits this particular tank. Chuck's tried a few of them and none of them work, so hopefully one day someone will make one.

seattlechronic

PostSubject: Oring...   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Just got my tank yesterday. I have not taken it out of the box yet. Called IMS and spoke with Abel. He was sending me out a new oring. Said they would be in tomorrow. Anyone heard the same?

SC
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Chuck W told me they are gonna send new seals to everyone... and not to use the IMS tank until the new seals are installed. ugh, install, uninstall, install, ?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:55 pm

taoshum wrote:
Chuck W told me they are gonna send new seals to everyone... and not to use the IMS tank until the new seals are installed. ugh, install, uninstall, install, ?

Am I supposed to expect a new seal ?

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Everyone will be sent a big honkin 1/4 inch o-ring that will replace the v-ring that comes stock with the fuel pump. Chuck sent me some pics of the tank, one was a brand new one out of the mold, all warpy and everything, used that big o-ring and it didn't leak at all. IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 61865

"Ok, if I can’t get that V seal to work I’ll just get rid of it. I grabbed the worse untouched tank I could find, just as it comes from the mold, the bottom looks like a roller coaster track. I bolted the pump on with the monster o-ring and pressurized the tank, no leaking. I took a heat gun to the area around the pump and kept it on there until the surface of the tank turned shinny then I submerged the tank in cold water, 3 times no leaking. I then put the whole tank in the freezer for 2 hours put it back in the water to thaw and ran another heat cycle, no leaking This means every one who bought a tank gets an o-ring ASAP."

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 Machin10

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 Raw_9610

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 O_ring10

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:14 pm

thumb Sweet. I'm glad that a solution has been found. But this means I have to take the thing again... O well, guess I'm getting very familiar with my bike.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Quoted from Shewolf: "Everyone will be sent a big honkin 1/4 inch o-ring that will replace the v-ring that comes stock with the fuel pump. Chuck sent me some pics of the tank, one was a brand new one out of the mold, all warpy and everything, used that big o-ring and it didn't leak at all."

I just got my tank 2 days ago & was pumped to install it but didn't have the time. Glad I checked back here for the latest news. I would have had to do the install twice. Guess I'll just wait for the O-ring & keep staring at my awsome new tank in the box. Thanks again Shewolf for making this happen. I don't think we would even have a tank to install if it wasn't for you & everyone else on the forum who made suggestions & contributed to make this thing come to life!
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Everyone will be sent a big honkin 1/4 inch o-ring that will replace the v-ring that comes stock with the fuel pump.
thumb thumb thumb ... Excellent!!! ... thumb thumb thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thank you!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Everyone will be sent a big honkin 1/4 inch o-ring that will replace the v-ring that comes stock with the fuel pump. Chuck sent me some pics of the tank, one was a brand new one out of the mold, all warpy and everything, used that big o-ring and it didn't leak at all. IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 61865

"Ok, if I can’t get that V seal to work I’ll just get rid of it. I grabbed the worse untouched tank I could find, just as it comes from the mold, the bottom looks like a roller coaster track. I bolted the pump on with the monster o-ring and pressurized the tank, no leaking. I took a heat gun to the area around the pump and kept it on there until the surface of the tank turned shinny then I submerged the tank in cold water, 3 times no leaking. I then put the whole tank in the freezer for 2 hours put it back in the water to thaw and ran another heat cycle, no leaking This means every one who bought a tank gets an o-ring ASAP."

SheWolf,

Thank you for the update! From the above, it sounds to me like Chuck is absolutely focused on a reliable solution. I like his style!

I'm pretty good at popping the tank outta' there by now, so when the o-ring arrives, no big deal.

I went ahead and put a link to this page over in the monster thread along with kudos for Chuck!

Thanks again for the info,

ar-II

Last edited by Artoo on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Awesome!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 pm

I await my big honking O-ring! Glad I did not do the install yet! Thanks SheWolf and IMS You guys totally Rock!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Great! Looking forward to my BIG O ring! wings

Glad I did not install yet... cheers

Just curious: will we need longer bolts to attach the fuel pump since the O ring is thicker? Shog
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Pretty sure mine's been seeping a little as I can normally smell gas near the bike when I go to ride it, but haven't noticed a definite leak yet on mine. I'd have pulled it to check for sure but I haven't had time when I've had a near empty tank, yet. When the new o-ring gets here, I'll have to make time to swap them out (and I'm VERY glad I don't have to send my tank back).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 pm

gediehl4 wrote:
Great! Looking forward to my BIG O ring! wings

Glad I did not install yet... cheers

Just curious: will we need longer bolts to attach the fuel pump since the O ring is thicker? Shog

gediehl4,

Will have to wait for word from SheWolf or Chuck to know for sure, but I really doubt it.

Longer screws could cause thread bottoming issues before the retainer ring is pulled down flush with the tank surface.

The new fatter o-ring will no doubt take more force to fully compress (it's probably why it works to solve the problem) but if the screws can catch a thread or 2, the compression force for the first few turns won't be very great... by then, the screws have a good "bite" and can take the load.

Somewhere earlier, SheWolf talked about pulling the screws down nice and even; criss cross pattern; a little at a time until the retainer ring is down and screws to correct tightness. I'd say that will be just as important now with the new o-ring.

Anyhow, speculative but I doubt it will require longer screws. I didn't see it addressed above and it appears that Chuck has no intention of leaving us hanging on this solution.

Hey, Wuffie.. whatcha' think?

Rtwo
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I have another puddle below my bike. Mine is much more than a seep. I spoke with IMS and I am returning my tank. This sucks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:24 pm

njbill wrote:
I have another puddle below my bike. Mine is much more than a seep. I spoke with IMS and I am returning my tank. This sucks.

njbill,

Sorry to hear it. Did IMS think the o-ring wouldn't help you because of the severity of the leak or did they say?

Artoo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

skierd wrote:
Pretty sure mine's been seeping a little as I can normally smell gas near the bike when I go to ride it, but haven't noticed a definite leak yet on mine. I'd have pulled it to check for sure but I haven't had time when I've had a near empty tank, yet. When the new o-ring gets here, I'll have to make time to swap them out (and I'm VERY glad I don't have to send my tank back).

Skierd,

I'm likewise glad I don't have to send it back. How do ya' get the fumes out of a tank so the security sniffers en route don't go off?? Water? Nope. Gasoline supposedly micro permeates a plastic tank so water rinsing isn't a guaranteed pass..

AND - I'd removed the insulation from my old tank and glued it onto the IMS tank, so that would have been -at minimum- a hassle. I'd sanded the rough mounting flange, too. So worst case, IMS would be within their rights NOT taking my tank back since I'd modded it. I kinda' doubt they would do that, but still, better this way.

Artoo

Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Oring   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:40 pm

I think IMS is trying hard to fix the situation and I hope the oring fixes the issue. I think I will stick with my halomar "fix" and save the new oring for future incursions into the tank like a pump failure. Right now my halomar is still holding without leaks.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 pm

I called them yesterday and they did not mention an o-ring. They gave me a RA and said to find a box to ship it back in. Do you folks think I should call back and ask about the o-ring?

Artoo wrote:
njbill wrote:

njbill,

Sorry to hear it. Did IMS think the o-ring wouldn't help you because of the severity of the leak or did they say?

Artoo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 pm

njbill wrote:
I called them yesterday and they did not mention an o-ring. They gave me a RA and said to find a box to ship it back in. Do you folks think I should call back and ask about the o-ring?

Artoo wrote:
njbill wrote:

njbill,

Artoo

njbill,

My take on the info in this thread is that the o-ring is a very late breaking fix. It appears Chuck may have just decided it's the way to go today.

I'd suggest making the call tomorrow just in case it can save you the hassle.

Other's opinions on this invited and respected, of course.

Artoo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!   IMS 3 GALLON TALLY! - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3 GALLON TALLY!
Page 19 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next