Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dirtnadvil

my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? Empty
PostSubject: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:16 am

My tank has developed leaks at both corners where the brass pick up is. Neither leak is dripping, only weeping at this time. I know it will get worse over time so I would like to fix it. My question is how do I remove the brass fittings so I can put some teflon tape on the threads. Do I need to somehow get into the tank to hold the other end of the fitting? Thanks from Big Hands!
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 am

dirtnadvil wrote:
My tank has developed leaks at both corners where the brass pick up is. Neither leak is dripping, only weeping at this time. I know it will get worse over time so I would like to fix it. My question is how do I remove the brass fittings so I can put some teflon tape on the threads. Do I need to somehow get into the tank to hold the other end of the fitting? Thanks from Big Hands!
this happened to mine too. I simply undid one of the brass fittings from underneath and drained the fuel into a jerry can - the fuel line actually siphoned the fuel out of the other wing on it's own - completely emptying my tank.
Then I applied thread tape to both sides.

One thing which I think caused the leak was locking Acerbis tank cap I was using. It has a vent but the spring to vent is pretty stiff, meaning that a lot of pressure needs to be there before it vents - enough to force fuel through the brass fittings at the bottom of the wings.
I'm going back to the standard cap - until I work out how to fix the locking cap so it vents properly.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 am

teflon tape is not technichally fuel safe. it will eventually leak again. get a good thread sealant at the parts store.

Back to top Go down
dirtnadvil

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:16 pm

I am not sure what you are implying about the vent on the gas cap. I am under the impression that air is only allowed to enter the tank through the gas cap vent. That way when the bike falls over the fuel cannot run out of the gas cap vent. It responds to a negative pressure. The tank shouldn't have a positive pressure unless it is left in the sun and the fuel heats up. Isn't the tank vented to the atmosphere through a vent hose? I can't remember.

BBRadar, How did you undo the fitting. The part on the inside of the tank is spinning when I turn the brass part on the outside...Is there a way to hold the inner fitting and keep it from spinning?
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:16 pm

The problem I get is because lots of pressure builds up inside the tank - maybe it's because it get's so hot during the day where I am.
When I release the gas cap, I can hear a "woosh" of pressure releasing. The same thing happens on my mates bike who has the same locking acerbis cap.
This gas cap didn't prevent fuel running out last time I dropped it, bike ended up facing lying on it's side down a hill so the cap is on the down hill side - still leaked fuel.

The standard gas cap for the IMS tank does have a hose which vents to atmosphere which will hopefully fix the leak issue.

When I undid the fitting I let the hose spin - I didn't have a problem with it kinking or getting damaged.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:37 am

Yup, both of mine leaked. I had to redo one of the sides again. I did it with thread tape and as was said earlier, the fuel might eventually break it down. Might have to source some fuel safe thread sealant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?   my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours? Empty

Back to top Go down

my 4.7 gallon tank leaking, how about yours?
Page 1 of 1